Eddies Room of sound - Note PA system to the side for Guitars and also has the abilities of driving system to 11 for full favoured outdoor listening (luckily no neighbours) supplementing the AR93's driven by dual NAD 1020B 2140/3155 combo :hairy:

IMG_0453big.jpg

Edited by Eddierukiddingvarese
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Warming the Halcro DM 38 and DM 8 up for a function check slash farewell performance.  They will be moving down south later this week.  They've been with me for so long it's a little sad really.  But I can't keep them forever, so they are moving on.  But we still have tonight.  

IMG_0901.thumb.JPG.495712707269f2ef9575d2aa99c6f4d0.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've recently discovered, due to an impromptu listening session with @BRM and one of the guys from work carried out last Monday, that I have a prominent room node.  I can't really understand why I've not noticed this before, and thinking back it has made itself noticeable in the past but not to the extent where I could actually identify it.  I suspect my big reason for disliking the Job Integrated was that it had a bass presentation that hit right on this node.  Oh well, live and learn I guess.  Sorry Job.

Anyway, since this node is making itself known I am now determined to knock it on the head in as forceful a way as possible.  It is very noticeable with the Technical Brain as the Technical Brain is a sort of combination of  brutally honest and powerfully presented.  Also I really want to see if I can get the TB to sound as good in my room as it does in Terry's room.  Because in Terry's room its on a completely different level to other amps.  

Starting with the easy stuff, I'm moving speaker positioning this morning.  (And yes, that is not the TB in use at the moment, I'm running the Sansui 907NRA.  Don't worry, I am aware of this.)

IMG_1028.thumb.JPG.ceed1e63bb5a906a02bdf017914ed78b.JPG

Old position vs current.  I've lost some of my pin point imaging but gained a sort of softer, more relaxed feel to vocals and slower strings and woodwinds.  It has taken a little of the bite out of the room node and blunted it a little too.  Not sure I could live with it yet though.  I'll get back to it shortly, just giving my ears a break by typing this post.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I don’t know how you guys and girls get such awesome ears for sounds etc. I guess a lifetime of high powered motorcycles and heavy metal have me done for ?

Nah, I don't have awesome ears any more than the next SNA'er.  I just have Terry giving me a spare album of his that just happened to have a ton of bass frequencies in just the right wrong spot.  

Trust me on this Dazza, if you'd been here you would have noticed it too.  I had a headache starting after the first 3 times we swapped out gear and spun up the same song again.  The bass was oppressive on just that one note.

I've got the speaker stands pretty much back where I had them before I moved them forward to where most of those room calculators say they should be and this has broadened the punch but not taken it out of play completely.  I think I need foam, lots of foam!  Maybe more than foam, but I can't do anything about that in the next few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cafad said:

Nah, I don't have awesome ears any more than the next SNA'er.  I just have Terry giving me a spare album of his that just happened to have a ton of bass frequencies in just the right wrong spot.  

Trust me on this Dazza, if you'd been here you would have noticed it too.  I had a headache starting after the first 3 times we swapped out gear and spun up the same song again.  The bass was oppressive on just that one note.

I've got the speaker stands pretty much back where I had them before I moved them forward to where most of those room calculators say they should be and this has broadened the punch but not taken it out of play completely.  I think I need foam, lots of foam!  Maybe more than foam, but I can't do anything about that in the next few days.

Have checked my Get Better Sound book and I believe moving your amps forward on the rack will do the trick. ? bizarre considering the book also has such excellent speaker/ listening possie tips. No no, don’t thank me. ? 

Tried any ceiling absorption? Made a massive improvement at my place and surprising considering it’s old horse hair plaster which is supposed to be quite good. Not your place though, is it?

16 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Have checked my Get Better Sound book and I believe moving your amps forward on the rack will do the trick. ? bizarre considering the book also has such excellent speaker/ listening possie tips. No no, don’t thank me. ? 

Tried any ceiling absorption? Made a massive improvement at my place and surprising considering it’s old horse hair plaster which is supposed to be quite good. Not your place though, is it?

Hmmm, well my rack is my floor so I don't really expect to be able to apply that one.

I've been trying a few things this morning.

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.ab5d089dcf12f10f82ae79965b02dcc2.JPG

Slightly better, not sure if I could live with it though.

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.d1672fa1c7481c1e26fcfe7948c73b56.JPG

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.b50da1fd3ab8664a06db3ac8f7c98b27.JPG

With two foam mattresses and the TV covered it is not so bad.  If I were a software engineer this is the point where I'd stop calling it a problem, start calling it a feature and move on.  But I would like to be able to listen to music without the doona and the mattresses in the room with me. 

I have thought about ceiling treatment, probably be easy to apply too as my ceiling is pretty bare bones with exposed beams.  I could get some foam in between them without too much trouble.

IMG_1034.thumb.JPG.6ef736599784953cefa784ffc4b1ea51.JPG

OK, time to do some doona and mattress assisted listening for a bit I think.  Then we'll see what we can hear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cafad said:

Hmmm, well my rack is my floor so I don't really expect to be able to apply that one.

I've been trying a few things this morning.

IMG_1031.thumb.JPG.ab5d089dcf12f10f82ae79965b02dcc2.JPG

Slightly better, not sure if I could live with it though.

IMG_1032.thumb.JPG.d1672fa1c7481c1e26fcfe7948c73b56.JPG

IMG_1033.thumb.JPG.b50da1fd3ab8664a06db3ac8f7c98b27.JPG

With two foam mattresses and the TV covered it is not so bad.  If I were a software engineer this is the point where I'd stop calling it a problem, start calling it a feature and move on.  But I would like to be able to listen to music without the doona and the mattresses in the room with me. 

I have thought about ceiling treatment, probably be easy to apply too as my ceiling is pretty bare bones with exposed beams.  I could get some foam in between them without too much trouble.

IMG_1034.thumb.JPG.6ef736599784953cefa784ffc4b1ea51.JPG

OK, time to do some doona and mattress assisted listening for a bit I think.  Then we'll see what we can hear.

Drag @TerryO up there and get him to hold up one of those mattresses whilst you spin a few discs and have a few beers 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cafad said:

I think this puppy between about 105Hz and 120Hz is the problem.

2011604895_aaaroomnodefreq.thumb.PNG.8a9b170e37869dd2cb944401bd284b72.PNG

That looks pretty bad. As well as the hump you're obviously getting suck-outs in the 80's, 90's and especially at 60. 

3 hours ago, davm said:

I'm not sure that foam-based treatments like your mattresses will have much effect at 105 Hz to 120 Hz.

David.

True, but they do have some, and they are the only optional treatment that I keep on hand.  Also, they have to turn back into mattresses come Tuesday evening so they aren't even a medium term fix.

However, for the short term (read, this Easter weekend) they actually work reasonably well if I keep the speakers back on either side of the TV and put the mattresses on either side of the listening position.

IMG_1035.thumb.JPG.421d9f44b7015c94252d87d599e16aeb.JPG

But yes, I will have to seek other options in the near future.

• Haha 1

Well, I've come up with a viable option.  If I don't listen to London Grammar, or that solo album by Glenn Frey, then I don't seem to have a problem.  And if I do get the urge to listen to them, well I do have a set of headphones.

As long term, temporary solutions go I think this one is a good one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

OK, one more change of address in the audio journey means another completely different room to sort out.

At about 2.5 times the size of my last listening room I'm stoked with it right from the outset.  Sounds very good already with the only room treatment being my blue rug on the floor.

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.7169edd67dc6ab7f4fb83a82a7637440.JPG

I've got Simon's Zeus on the job at the moment.  Sounding pretty sweet.

Tried my big square of foam on the back wall (just like last time) but I'm not sure I like it there so it probably won't stay.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.9268f5468f06966445b2703e3051191b.JPG

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.77c312921a0223ff352c6508c7633957.JPG

I'm still searching for the sweet spot to position the speakers.  Sounding really good but I'm only on the second spot (yet to hear any serious bass reinforcement from the back wall so I've got a few more spots to try out yet.  Once I've got the position worked out I'll bring the ML2's into play.  I love weekends!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2020 at 11:44 AM, Cafad said:

OK, one more change of address in the audio journey means another completely different room to sort out.

At about 2.5 times the size of my last listening room I'm stoked with it right from the outset.  Sounds very good already with the only room treatment being my blue rug on the floor.

IMG_1232.thumb.JPG.7169edd67dc6ab7f4fb83a82a7637440.JPG

I've got Simon's Zeus on the job at the moment.  Sounding pretty sweet.

Tried my big square of foam on the back wall (just like last time) but I'm not sure I like it there so it probably won't stay.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.9268f5468f06966445b2703e3051191b.JPG

IMG_1234.thumb.JPG.77c312921a0223ff352c6508c7633957.JPG

I'm still searching for the sweet spot to position the speakers.  Sounding really good but I'm only on the second spot (yet to hear any serious bass reinforcement from the back wall so I've got a few more spots to try out yet.  Once I've got the position worked out I'll bring the ML2's into play.  I love weekends!

Wow that room looks much better. Get some decent treatment mate when you can drop the cash. And is that a new lounge by any chance?

• 8 months later...

So... I finally ponied up for some room treatment.  All by Artnovion.

Before.

IMG_1290.thumb.JPG.c0c8c824523848d35bc98b2c24a21026.JPG

After.

IMG_1294.thumb.JPG.e580eaf7095bb4320c86274a8acd8354.JPG

And the back and one of the side walls as well.

IMG_1293.thumb.JPG.d61c4c9539bb5994a20d31d0ce5aad8a.JPGIMG_1292.thumb.JPG.2c31709a6cece2046b59583c0e607090.JPG

The grey squares are the Helen absorbers and the wood ones are the Sienna absorbers.  I have some diffusers for the ceiling but I've yet to work out how to put them up there, I'll get to them eventually.  I also have two 'mobile walls' that are made up of three Helen absorbers mounted vertically.  I keep moving them around trying to find the best position for them but since I've had a head cold for the last week (which started just a day after I put the panels up) I can't really say much about the difference in the room yet.  It is definitely less bright but more details than that will have to wait until my hearing is back up and working properly.

Edited by Cafad
  • Like 3