Rotel RA-05SE: Thoughts?

All,

Anyone out there using the Rotel RA-05SE? I auditioned it last week (it was driving a pair of 685's), and I was mightily impressed with the sound. The local hi-fi store is offering it new in the $549 price range (hopefully I will get them to knock that down a bit). Am keeping my eye on eBay bargains in the meantime but I would like to sort out the new amp before Christmas.

I am taking back in my 686's this weekend to see if they will sound as good, and if they do will be very tempted to buy. Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had it for a while and what their impressions are. Ultimately, I will probably sell the 686s and upgrade them to a bigger speaker. So would also be interested to hear from people using the Rotel with a floorstander setup?

I have a $750 (circa) budget (mentioned in a previous WTB post) for an Amp and CD player. But the CD player is less important now as I will use my MacBook as a music server (with HRT Streamer II DAC), and will prob spend the bulk of the budget on the amp.

Any feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

Neil

I had the remote less RA-04 for about a year when my copland was on the blink. It had no problems driving my Castle Howards or the less efficient Castle Richmonds.

If I was looking for an amp in this price range it would deffo be on or close to the top of my must listen to list.

I can't speak for that model however I've just bought an older pre-power combo and love the sound. Came from Cambridge Audio and it's a more detailed sound. That Rega does look good though, I'd really consider if was in the market.

You'll get a new RA-05 for less than the price of that Rega if you go into a store and haggle. Guaranteed.

I have spent a little time with the RA-05 and found it's build quality to be considerably nicer than my old NAD C326, which felt toy like and flimsy in comparison.

I also hear that their gear shacks up with B&W speakers really well, being the same company and all.

However, the Rega and Plinius in the FS section are both mighty tempting. The Rega has that whole 'brit-fi' thing going for it and the Plinius would have a **** ton of power.

The only answer here is to buy all 3 and sell on your least favorites.

• Like 1

All - went to local Hi Fi store and came home with Rotel RA-04SE well within my budget. Will keep u posted!

I bought Rotel RA-04 about three years ago, the one without remote control, after an enormous amount of research mostly on English hi-fi forums

Very pleased with it driving a pair of Mission Cyrus speakers, input from Squeezebox Touch and Dual turntable

It takes a while to appreciate how good it is, I'm sure you will be similarly happy with your Rotel RA-04SE