Shindo vs Mactone Observations on a sounding

Shindo Vs Mactone Observations on a sounding.

For those out there unfamiliar with the rarified air of Japanese Exotic Audio-- the genre contains many of which legends

have graced environments world wide namely Kondo,Sakuma,Koda,TechBrain/etc, and possibly the most touted of them all Shindo

-the reason being he produces products that real world Audiophiles can experience without donating a kidney.

Within those shores however there has been one manufacturer producing Tube based sonic masterworks since 1964 mainly unheralded outside

of the Japanese mainland--I have been privileged to audition one of these recently in comparison with my superb Shindo Amplification.

The product I speak of is Mactone. Like Shindo a relatively compact Company staffed by dedicated folk to the production of the finest Sound

Reproduction possible using vacuum tubes. This is the journey I went with both, head to head in my own listening environment.

I Own and paid for both Units mentioned here.

Amplfiers:

Shindo Apetite 6V6 15w x15w Class A Stereo Integrated 230v in RCA output

Mactone MH300B 23w x 23w, Class AB1, Push-Pull, Stereo ( Power Amp but with input controls which were used in these sessions) 230v RCA output

Source : Both Amps sans Phono-so CD only used.

CD Drive CEC TLO MK11

Audio Note DAC 4.1x with series 5 Upgrade

Speakers:

Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage

Cabling: Stereolab I700 Ref Interconnect and Speaker/Stereolab Tron Digital link Drive to Dac

Both Amps mounted on Marigo Mystery Feet then on Mapleshade 4" Blocks.

ACPower: PurePower 2000i set for 230V Aust/NZ Receptacles.

Room aligned with ASC Tube traps as per suitability discussion with ASC US.

After letting the Amps warm up I set my Cardas Sweep Disc to repeat and left alone for approx 2hours at moderate levels.

Like you all I have my fav CD's and some that are downright poor sounding--both types can be of use however in determining both good and bad results

Yes I have to switch the Amps out-- and using the above procedure does take time--and possible lapse in the Nuances for our brain memory.

But please remember this only an observation and I got pretty good at speed dialling!---it was a level playing field for both units-and I was extremely careful to volume match

once serious listening began.

Nitty Gritty time!

Shindo: First up Piano--my favourite Instrument-using the Chopin Sonatas OP58 with Mikhail Pletnev--the 6V6 gave a full bodied rendition and very fluid output

slight "hooding" on the transients but excellent overall.

Mactone: Ditto same CD-- also full and rounded presentation seemingly more "air" around the Piano but oh so filling the room with glorious notations--truly excellent.

Shindo: Now Female Vocals here we have the wonderful haunting Gorecki Symphony No3 with Soprano Diane Upshaw--here the Amp belied it's tiny power

and really showed through with the soaring purity of the voice--a slight thickness in the Orchestral passages just stopped short of sheer bliss -- excellent again though

Mactone: This is where the Mac really shone-I was gobsamcked at the power of the voice --it filled the room and the orchestra was right there--spooky but superb

this amp is revelation on complex musical passages.

Shindo: Male Vocal--plus Choir--in this case the excellent Misa Criolla Jose Carreras--the subtlety of the voice and choir--you gotta listen into that track -a lot of Amps mask this

not this time-clear and pure top marks again.

Mactone: A as above the purity and nuances on this disc are sometimes clouded with some Amps--well the Mac did all the Shindo did but even more so-- once again

superlatives abound -both Amps magnificent--with the inner detail just slightly more prevalent on the Mac--whew!

Shindo: Yes I did go the "Pop" stuff Female Vocal and started with Jane Siberry Calling all Angels--this track swells and envelopes you on a top system--and did not disappoint

here with the interplay with KD Lang to the fore-- top marks again.

Mactone: I could not tell the Amps apart on this track maybe ever so slightly less edge to Jane's voice-but oh so close here.

Shindo: Veered left a bit on this one-male Vocal--Ry Cooder Coast of Malabar a Chieftains Classic Trad rendition with swelling voice and guitar--clear and involving

with superb clarity-- a great disc this.

Mactone: This time the Mac really showed it's class--wow-- once again the layering was wondrous !--took the mighty Shindo sound before to another level.

During the days running the Amps I also played the ones mentioned below --some perennial chestnuts--that I'd recommend to anyone comparing gear--or just wanting some thoughts on how their

system sounds--these should be on your short list.

Holly Cole Temptation

Chip Taylor and Carrie Rodriguez Trouble with Humans( has dumb Lyrics but superbly produced and mastered)

Eva Cassidy Live at Blues Alley

Patricia Barbour Cafe Bleu-- Stunning Recording and mastering

Leonard Cohen Ten New Songs

Archie Roach Sensual Being

Classic/Non Pop

Gary Karr Songs of Prayer

Andre Previn Rachmaninoff Symphony No:2

Arthur Honneger Pacific 231

Mozart Violin Concertos Simon Standage/Hogwood

I have frankly had some extremely joyous listening sessions to the two Amplifiers mentioned--both performed flawlessly and I may add not one skeric of Hum/ Noise/etc

was evident in either Amp during this time-- credit to the exemplary workmanship in both units.

As difficult as a decision I have had to make --only one can reside in my listening room at this stage--would relish the opportunity to have kept both-but the sonic presentation

that impressed and left a lasting impression after each session was the Mactone.

The seemingly Secretive Brand from the Japanese base has obviously been too long devoid in this Market and wholeheartedly deserves recognition as a serious contender

for State of the Art honours--after all not much can elbow in front of the venerable Shindo!

I see there is an Aust/NZ Distributor now and maybe at last Audiophiles searching for Nirvana have another valid choice with my fullest recommendation.

Good Listening

Willco

http://www.monoandst...0-b-review.html

Mac_1.jpg

Edited by Willco
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well - very very nice looking amp and write up. Yes spill the beans on the distributor and price of these little gold nuggets.

This is an interestimg observation:

'In my listening MH-300 B often reminded me on the best pure class A solid state amplifiers, but without their shortcomings. 300 B tubes have a certain ability to bring out finest micro level dynamics details and speed, that is one of the kind. I often felt like this is kind of a hybrid amplifier without any of the artifacts from both sides.'

Edited by DAMO 1147

Hi Damo

Wail until you hear the Traf mate - 300B at it's finest.

Regarding this thread those Jap valve amps are sure great stuff - just loved my Leben when I had it - and very good value for what you get.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Damo

Regarding this thread those Jap valve amps are sure great stuff - just loved my Leben when I had it - and very good value for what you get.

Thanks

Bill

Looking to sell my Leben CS600 to upgrade up the food chain.

Oh well - very very nice looking amp and write up. Yes spill the beans on the distributor and price of these little gold nuggets.

This is an interestimg observation:

'In my listening MH-300 B often reminded me on the best pure class A solid state amplifiers, but without their shortcomings. 300 B tubes have a certain ability to bring out finest micro level dynamics details and speed, that is one of the kind. I often felt like this is kind of a hybrid amplifier without any of the artifacts from both sides.'

Yoh Damo, The company is:

http://audionut.net/news/

Willco

Hi Damo

Thanks

Bill

Yes it will be interesting - i have heard a traf, i think it was an experience one driving some WLMm Diva's.

• 1 year later...
Guest palexsia

Very good writing Willco thanks for sharing with us your comparison the apetit shindo 6v6 valve and mactone 300b but i think when you said mactone come out with more lasting impression is not accurate as we all know the characteristic of 6v6 and 300b much different on sound and the apetite only have maximum 16 watts or less and its very good with sensitive speakers such as tannoy,altec,klipch,.... Ect compare with the Mactone power amp which has 4/300b valve 23watts of power 7 more than the shindo .on a valve amp 7 watts different is a lot equal another 2a3 power amp so that why its very good on your sonus faber speaker , i think comparrison should be shindo d'yqem 300b power amp its has 4/300b then we will have good and fair compare , to say that i don't mean to discredit mactone as known they are very good as other Japanese company and i salute you for that , nothing beat the sound of 300 b valve .... You're very lucky to have both excellent amps cheers

Just caught this thread now Willco. Thanks for the detailed writeup and your thoughts. 

Having just entered the high efficiency speaker playing field your comparison has a lot more meaning to me now :)