DTS and DD not showing as 5 channels

Hi all. I am currently using a PS3 as my source, fed into a Yammy 1800b. I normally play blurays, and the receiver lights up that it is receiving 5.1 channels. I then normally use PLIIx for the rear channels, so it shows up as PCM+PLIIx, and the PS3 tells me what is being received (DTS HD usually).

Yesterday, for the first time in a while, i played a standard DVD. It had both DD and DTS soundtracks. No matter what i tried though, the Yammy only lit up as receiving 2 channels. Playing "straight" yielded just stereo i think. I had to flick through Surround Decode to get to DTS. DTS then lit up, but it was still showing as 2 channels only. Any thought as to why this might be?

Im fairly confident it was actually DTS coming through in its native 5.1, but i am not 100% sure.

Hi all. I am currently using a PS3 as my source, fed into a Yammy 1800b. I normally play blurays, and the receiver lights up that it is receiving 5.1 channels. I then normally use PLIIx for the rear channels, so it shows up as PCM+PLIIx, and the PS3 tells me what is being received (DTS HD usually).

Yesterday, for the first time in a while, i played a standard DVD. It had both DD and DTS soundtracks. No matter what i tried though, the Yammy only lit up as receiving 2 channels. Playing "straight" yielded just stereo i think. I had to flick through Surround Decode to get to DTS. DTS then lit up, but it was still showing as 2 channels only. Any thought as to why this might be?

Im fairly confident it was actually DTS coming through in its native 5.1, but i am not 100% sure.

For a standard DVD, you have to select the DTS sound track from the DVD menu system for it to play, otherwise it will default to DD (since not all AV receivers back in the day supported DTS, and sending them a DTS stream often caused them to output noise to the speakers which could damage them). You didn't specifically mention doing that, so I'm guessing you're going to get DD as default.

Having said that, the behaviour you are describing sounds very much like the Yamaha is receiving a 2 channel signal. I suspect there's some setting in the PS3 options that is causing it either to select a stereo soundtrack, or downmix the 5.1 to stereo prior to passing it to the Yamaha.

I selected the DTS soundtrack from the DVD menu also. Not even the Dolby track was lighting up with 5 speakers. The PS3 "said" it was outputting either DD or DTS (whichever i tried). It would display the bit rates and everything. The receiver lit up with the DTS logo when i scrolled through surround decode as well. The only place it wouldnt show was on the display that lights up the amount of speaker it is receiving info for. If you dont have a Yammy, it is just a box of 9 lights i think, and when it is receiving 5 tracks of info, 5 light up, if only receiving 2, 2 light up etc.

I also must note that that the PS3 is plugged into the AVR only, not a separate cable direct to the TV. SO for it to display that it is playing DTS on the screen (when you hit select i think, and it displays frame rate, time remaining etc), then i dont think it is downmixing prior to the AVR receiving it.

Edited by Andre28

I selected the DTS soundtrack from the DVD menu also. Not even the Dolby track was lighting up with 5 speakers. The PS3 "said" it was outputting either DD or DTS (whichever i tried). It would display the bit rates and everything. The receiver lit up with the DTS logo when i scrolled through surround decode as well. The only place it wouldnt show was on the display that lights up the amount of speaker it is receiving info for. If you dont have a Yammy, it is just a box of 9 lights i think, and when it is receiving 5 tracks of info, 5 light up, if only receiving 2, 2 light up etc.

I also must note that that the PS3 is plugged into the AVR only, not a separate cable direct to the TV. SO for it to display that it is playing DTS on the screen (when you hit select i think, and it displays frame rate, time remaining etc), then i dont think it is downmixing prior to the AVR receiving it.

Hmm .. judging by the doco at http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/audiooutput.html , you need to have each audio format that your AVR supports selected on the PS3. Are the Dolby Digital 5.1 ch and DTS 5.1 ch options both ticked?