I want to rip some records to FLAC, what do I need to do this?

Hey guys. I want to create FLAC versions of some of my records and i'm just wondering what I need to buy to do this. My turntable doesn't have a USB and neither does my phono stage or integrated amplifier. Some product suggestions would be great too.

Hi deniall, I've done a little bit of this and there are others here with a lot more knowledge than me, but wouldn't a direct rip/copy to your computer be lossless anyway? Maybe these rip programs apply some form of audio codec or compression............don't know?

Cheers,

Keith

Depends on how much your budget is and what quality you intend to record to.

There are 2 components to it.

Software - something like Pure Vinyl can work

http://www.channld.com/purevinyl/

PV can also apply RIAA EQ or other types of EQ if you feed it a plain (un-EQed) signal from the vinyl.

Amarra also was working on something similar IIRC

Hardware - you need an ADC converter. The built in one to your computer can work but probably isn't the highest in fidelity.

Next step up is something from Creative which does up to 24/96 resolution

http://au.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-digital-music-premium-hd/1-19829.aspx

If you really want to go the whole works.. there's always the new Ayre QA9 ADC which does 24/192 or the Benchmark ADC

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/adc/adc1-usb

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply. I guess what i'm asking is how do I connect my turntable to my computer and do I need a dedicated recording soundcard or something similar? I would like to record in 24/96 if possible.

EDIT Didn't see answer above. Thanks!
Edited by deniall

Hardware - you need an ADC converter. The built in one to your computer can work but probably isn't the highest in fidelity.

Hardware should definitely be an external ADC, or high-end Sound Card with shielding on the Analogue sections.

The problem with using the ADC in the computer or a regular sound card is that by the time your analogue input signal gets to the ADC chip it has already had noise added from the computer which can be quite significant.

I've been digitizing cassettes using an external USB Pre-amp as my ADC, and the difference is chalk and cheese when compared to early attempts using the PCs internal sound card.

Edited by surprisetech

I used to use a stereo RCA to 3.5mm adapter to connect the pre-outs of my ME15 preamp to the microphone input of my laptop, and capture the audio using Audacity (freeware). This would capture a single side as one big wave file, which I then converted to a FLAC file. Sometimes I would split up the side into individual tracks, but that can be done afterwards; the most important step was getting a playable audio file.

Though not ideal (see points above on an external analog-to-digital converter) the resulting FLAC files still sound pretty good to my ears.

I assume the OP can do something similar to begin the process of getting vinyl rips, and get more hardware as time and money allows. There's no harm in getting a quick-n-dirty backup before trying for the perfect rip.

Which reminds me that I really need to get my vinyl rig setup, get some nice audio hardware and start ripping again ...

--Geoff

Edited by hired goon

I've been digitizing cassettes using an external USB Pre-amp as my ADC, and the difference is chalk and cheese when compared to early attempts using the PCs internal sound card.

What are you using as an ADC?

I was looking at the Creative jobby mentioned above but I'm wondering if there's something better but still within my meagre budget (the Ayre and Benchmark mentioned above are way above my limit).

I like the idea of a phone line-in on the Creative sound card but I'm guessing that the output of my pre-amp would be better. And I'm also curious if it's possible to get a USB output that does 24/192 output (if that matters).

--Geoff

I think we might have covered this before?

I physically connect my turntable and phono preamp to my Asus Soanar Essence STX sound card input (uses Cirrus Logic A-D) and still use Goldwave, usually 96kHz/24 bit mode.

After editing, I use Declick (and sometimes Denoise) only as much as I need to, then usually save as a wav file. I can then use dBPowerAmp converter to convert to FLAC or whatever I need. Declick is an Aussie program and is really effective.

Quite time consuming, but very impressive results can be obtained.

G

Edited by Geoffcb

What are you using as an ADC?

I was looking at the Creative jobby mentioned above but I'm wondering if there's something better but still within my meagre budget (the Ayre and Benchmark mentioned above are way above my limit).

I like the idea of a phone line-in on the Creative sound card but I'm guessing that the output of my pre-amp would be better. And I'm also curious if it's possible to get a USB output that does 24/192 output (if that matters).

--Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I got the ART Dual Pre when it was on sale at Music123. (They only seem to have the Tube version at present)

I got this type of product because for me it serves an extra purpose on the modest mixer in my PA system. I use it to turn 2 of the Line Inputs into Mic Inputs when I need them.

http://artproaudio.c...sb_dual_pre_ps/

It only does 16bit/44.1kHz. For the dynamic range and freq response of cassettes, that's more than enough.

I don't have any plans to digitize my vinyl apart from individual tracks that I occasionally add to my party collection, and 16/44.1 is fine for that purpose!!

The only other issue I've had is that while it has a wide input gain adjustment range, the fixed output on my NAD cassette deck overdrives it. My Yamaha deck has variable line out, so that's what I'm using. Not really a problem for me as both are great quality decks.

The M-Audio Fast Track MKII USB Audio Interface is similar at US$120.

The M-Audio MobilePre mk II at US$150 is a bit more versatile having dedicated line inputs.

Both do 24bit/48kHz so probably better for vinyl.

The Creative looks pretty good for the price.

If you have a trawl through here you'll find a few more.

http://www.music123....udio-interfaces

Cheers, Don

Edited by surprisetech

Hey guys. I want to create FLAC versions of some of my records and i'm just wondering what I need to buy to do this. My turntable doesn't have a USB and neither does my phono stage or integrated amplifier. Some product suggestions would be great too.

You are about to commence on a demanding, time consuming and fairly expensive project

May I suggest, to minimise the demands on your time, you search on-line to find as many of the recordings you wish to convert as possible

Based on the premise that there is no point in reinventing the wheel !

This mayn't save you money but would save a lot of time

The proviso being that you would need to be happy with the level of recording quality available, CD quality

I have recordings of the Australian singer Jeanie Lewis, whom I saw in concert as a young fella, I couldn't find digital versions of these recordings

But all my vinyl Eric Clapton recordings have digital versions available, not having to convert these vinyl recordings saved me an enormous amount of time !

Checking through my vinyl collection I realised that, as my tastes in music had changed over the years, there were only a small percentage that I want to convert to digital after all !

Nothing new to add that hasn't already been said.

I used TT (Technics, SME, Grace) --> ME25 Pre-amp --> Roland Edirol UA-25EX (24/96) ADC digitizer (amongst other things) --> USB --> Various Macs --> Audacity --> Declicked --> WAV files, one side at a time

Gave up after about 20 LPs. Too time consuming and the result was vastly inferior to CD - and thats saying something considering I have cloth ears. These days I just buy a cheap CD from eBay or Amazon of titles that I am still a bit interested in.

Gave up after about 20 LPs. Too time consuming and the result was vastly inferior to CD - and thats saying something considering I have cloth ears. These days I just buy a cheap CD from eBay or Amazon of titles that I am still a bit interested in.

I agree about it being time consuming - I haven't done any for about a year - but my efforts were superior to CD.

G

Im thinking of doing this, but in the context of creating 4 channels, ie: quadraphonic, by isolating instruments.....

...anyone done this to date?

Is the plan to create 4 channel rips from Quadrophonic vinyl source material, or from Stereo vinyl?

The former wouldn't be too difficult with the right hardware and software, but I imagine the latter would present some serious challenges.

I haven't done it before but there are some possible reasons:

- a well ripped record sounds better than a CD

- most records "wear" with each time you play it back

- convenience with a music server

- downsample for music on the go/car etc without purchasing a (inferior) CD

Fair enough, those were my considerations a few years back when I had the internal debate.

If I wore the record out I would buy another.

My car music is usually talkback, sport, or smooth fm

A music server is another expense that I would rather use to fund my hi fi hobby...

so I decided against the whole thing and dont regret it...

Horses for courses I guess. Have fun!