Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Gadget

Seafood restuarants

Hi guys, what are some of the better seafood resturants in the city (Melbourne). I have been to Melbourne Oyster Bar and to be honest wasn't that impressed. How about Waterfront at Crown? I don't mind spending a bit for this occassion as long as food and service matches the price.

Thanks.

Hi guys, what are some of the better seafood resturants in the city (Melbourne). I have been to Melbourne Oyster Bar and to be honest wasn't that impressed. How about Waterfront at Crown? I don't mind spending a bit for this occassion as long as food and service matches the price.

Thanks.[/b]

I'd say that Esposito at Toofeys, in Carlton, or Rockpool at Crown, stand out head and shoulders above the rest.

Would agree with Rockpool at Crown ... been there a couple of times now.

BTW when you go to Rockpool ... make sure you try the aged beef as well. They age the beef like wine. We had the 36 month ribeye. It is to die for.

Does Joz's place sell seafood? I hear it's a nice place

Does Joz's place sell seafood? I hear it's a nice place[/b]

Yep, worth a trip

Rockpool has a bit of a following and was voted 33rd best restaurant in the world according to reports, so worth at least a one time visit IMO

Rockpool has a bit of a following and was voted 33rd best restaurant in the world according to reports, so worth at least a one time visit IMO[/b]

Wasn't that the posh Sydney one?

NOT "Stokehouse" in St Kilda

One of life's dissapointments IMO

G

Wasn't that the posh Sydney one?[/b]

yes owned by neil perry who also owns 'wokpool' sydney and 'rockpool' melbourne

They age the beef like wine. We had the 36 month ribeye. It is to die for.[/b]

Hi Keith,

How exactly do they go about that without giving you the trots for a decade? :)

NOT "Stokehouse" in St Kilda

One of life's dissapointments IMO

G[/b]

Not wrong their Mr Pants, they are definitely living off past glory's these days

Cheers Mondie

Hello Guys- No names no courtsmartials....

All organisations love positive feedback, some progressive ones like feedback of any form, some will not tolerate negative feedback and a tussle starts:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forum/index.php?s...ic=4236&hl=

Let the shipwrecks of others be your seamaster:

I dont like to have to ask, but I would respectfully suggest you edit your posts.

Best

JA

better come over here to wa and visit aristos here in bunbury who has a seafood restaurant . then you go upstairs to barbados and have a beer or few.

my sister came over from melbourne and i took her there and she says melbourne has nothing like this.

kevin sheedy the ex essondon coach always come here for a feed...

yes owned by neil perry who also owns 'wokpool' sydney and 'rockpool' melbourne[/b]

Do you get to Sydney much :) Wokpool closed six years ago, and Rockpool proper closed a couple of months ago to be reopened as Rockpool Fish. Interestingly, the Melbourne one has been so successful (with critics as well as punters) that they are opening one in Sydney! Chalk another food win up for the Mexicans (although the first Australian Hooters is going to Sydney :) )!

Mondie, they hang the beef in a dry cool room for a couple of weeks. The wetness is what gives you unpleasant side effects ranging from trots to death - lots of places wet age in cryovac but it's not a patch on dry ageing.

It's not in the city but my wife and I regularly visited "The Lobster Cave" when we lived there (in melb) a few years ago.

I've not found a place to better their Lobster based seafood platter. (Back then it was approx $250).

We were actually talking about them the other night.... Still makes an impression.

Anyway, probably won't help you as it is about 40mins out of the city at Beaumauris (spelling).

John

Quote Mr gimlet

Do you get to Sydney much :) Wokpool closed six years ago, and Rockpool proper closed a couple of months ago to be reopened as Rockpool Fish. Interestingly, the Melbourne one has been so successful (with critics as well as punters) that they are opening one in Sydney! Chalk another food win up for the Mexicans (although the first Australian Hooters is going to Sydney :( )

grew up there and left about 6 years ago...havn't kept up with whats going on though... obviously

and Hooters is already on the Gold Coast, one of our finer dining establishments... they even advertise it as a fun night out for the family :wacko:

It's not in the city but my wife and I regularly visited "The Lobster Cave" when we lived there (in melb) a few years ago.

I've not found a place to better their Lobster based seafood platter. (Back then it was approx $250).

We were actually talking about them the other night.... Still makes an impression.

Anyway, probably won't help you as it is about 40mins out of the city at Beaumauris (spelling).

John[/b]

John, it must have gone seriously downhill since you were last there. Only time I've ever seen a restaurant review in The Age score below ten (it was rated 9/20) - and the review became somewhat famous. Personally, a $30 starter is enought o put me off.

There was, of course, The Lobster Cave, a review of a restaurant that apparently has a cosy sponsorship connection with 3AW (I loved the email from an AW producer who had visited the restaurant as a result of this connection and hadn't been back since, for reasons known best to him/her). In fact, pouring scorn on this Beaumaris institution created more gigabytes of email traffic than just about any restaurant review I can remember.

Apart from the restaurant falling down on the night in just about every key area, it was the food that really stuck in my craw, so to speak.

Moreton Bay bug with chilli that was hotter and harsher with chilli powder than a Sahara summer; salty, oily and served with undercooked rice and - inexplicably - scallop shells. Now that's what I call bad food.

And lobster cooked with green (spring) and Spanish onion, garlic and so much butter as to have pooled up in liquid form at the end of the carapace. And Greek salad with bad olives, lacklustre fetta, soft cucumber, curly parsley, Spanish onion and the unpleasant flavour of excessive dried oregano. Yes, it's all coming back.[/b]

The full review is here.

and Hooters is already on the Gold Coast, one of our finer dining establishments... they even advertise it as a fun night out for the family :)[/b]

Excellent! It was parodied in a South Park episode, where it was staffed by young girls and was called "Raisins"