Sign in to follow this  
Zsonic

CD Player & Integrated Amp for 2-Channel

Hi there,

I am looking to buy a CD player and an amplifier to match a set of speakers. The speakers are likely to be a pair of B&W 686 bookshelves, if that helps suggestions.

Cheers,

Neil

Welcome aboard mate! Let me be the first to welcome you to the happy little madhouse that is SNA.

What sort of budget are you thinking of there Neil?

Hi Cafad,

Thank you for the welcome.

Budget wise, I was hoping to get some good second hand components for a total sum of about $750 or so? I don't need anything crazy good but something that will make my Talk Talk albums sing!

Cheers,

Neil

That is a tight budget to work with but I'm sure you'll be able to get a decent set up (it may take a little leg work and research though). Try to demo the smaller Denons (PMA700AE and PMA510AE for example) and Yamahas (AS300 and AS500) if you can, they come up fairly regularly on ebay (new and second hand) so if you decide you would like one of those after listening to one then you shouldn't have to wait too long to get one at the right price.

The cd player will have less of an impact on the sound, I would just look for a player from a name brand that is in good condition, there are almost always a few Marantz, Cambridge and Denon players available at varying price points so they would be worth demoing.

I haven't heard B&W speakers so I can't really make any specific recommendations except to listen to as much gear as you can through the speakers you are after (not easy I know, even speakers of the same series will give you an idea) and pick the ones you like the best.

And if you find a sound that you like (or don't like) then sort out what it is that you like about it (or hate about it) and what is responsible for it (speakers, amp, player?) and then you can use that as a refference point for the future.

Cheers mate, and enjoy!

Yep, that would be one of the first I would try to demo if I were you.

There are also some good rotel CD and amp packs on ebay you could make an offer on - thats if you can stretch the budget a little.

Thanks Koloss...I hear Rotel wasn't so good in the early days...are there any models I should avoid? Any recommendations?

Mods - please update the title to just "Integrated Amp for 2-Channel". Have decided to skip the CD player (no pun intended) and use a laptop with DAC going into the Amp (the horror!).

That being the case why not cut out the DAC completely and use a direct digital amp (or power DAC as I have heard them called). The NuForce DDA-100 is $650 RRP, I haven't heard it yet but I am crossing my fingers that the unit I ordered will turn up on my doorstep tomorrow. If it is half as good as I expect it to be it will be worth adding to your demo list.

Hey Cafad - let me know how it goes. I guess I didn't think that far ahead actually...hmmm. I have the USB DAC - the HRT Streamer II - on the way and will have an old MacBook Pro plugged into it running iTunes and Audirvana...right now I will drive the BW speakers from the Zone 2 on my HT Amp, but will eventually substitute in the amp.

So it will be MacBook Pro/iTunes to HRT to Onkyo 609 to BW...and when I get the stereo amp, I'll replace the Onkyo with it...? Make sense?

I have the RA-06SE and its pretty decent for its price.

Hey Cafad - let me know how it goes. I guess I didn't think that far ahead actually...hmmm. I have the USB DAC - the HRT Streamer II - on the way and will have an old MacBook Pro plugged into it running iTunes and Audirvana...right now I will drive the BW speakers from the Zone 2 on my HT Amp, but will eventually substitute in the amp.

So it will be MacBook Pro/iTunes to HRT to Onkyo 609 to BW...and when I get the stereo amp, I'll replace the Onkyo with it...? Make sense?

Sounds like a plan ZS. When you do get the integrated be sure to let us know how much of a difference you think it makes.

@ Cafad - Will do.

The local Hi Fi store (JustKlapp audio) has a selection of Rotels, Cambriges and NADs. I'm off to audition a few and see how it goes...

@koloss - they have the Rotel RA-06SE, so will be sure to check it out.

The Rotel definitely gets a thumbs up. They didnt have the 06 setup so i listened to the 05 driving a set of BW 685s. I put on Planet Telex (Radiohead, The Bends) and i was grinning. Am going back in sometime over the next couple of weeks to bring in my 686 and my music server to see what it sounds like.

Moderators - please close this thread. Items are no longer needed.