Shmonk

What packaging when sending a vinyl record by post?

I'm thinking about selling some of my vinyl records and am wondering about the best packaging to use when sending them through the post, the cost of packaging and the cost of postage.

Any suggestions?

Guest Muon

Pizza boxes.

Edit: Oh, and I used a little bubble wrap top and bottom, and a sheet in the middle if 5 or 6 LPs. You can take the one piece and fold it so it is top/bottom/middle.

Edited by datafone

I've sent a quite a few records to sna member's,.Wrapped between 2 sheets of 3mm plywood lets see that damn postie fold that in half.

Edited by MC240

I've sent heaps of LP's in the post, pizza boxes, or make my own boxes out of cardboard, never had a problem

The method I use takes a little bit of work but is a tried and true one. Go to a sheetmetal place and have him cut you two squares out of gal steel sheet. One 350mm square the other 310mm square. Using a box cutter cut the requisite amount of cardboard (around 5mm works best and not too heavy)If you are only shipping one record place the record outside of the sleeve and put both inside an outer sleeve. Tape this outer sleeve to the 350mm square piece of corrugated cardboard ( available from any recycling bin) then place the other 350mm piece on top and tape it all together. This will almost always give you a package weighing under 500 grams which saves on postage!! This protects the entire record and will not bend or have the corners damaged at all. If you need to send more than one use the smaller template to cut spacers for however many records you need. I have shipped up to 20 records at a time using this method and never had a problem.

One thing to watch out for is that if you don't take the record out from the sleeve, movement during transit can see the record edge cut through the cover...............can happen even for new sealed vinyl (yep.........speaking from personal experience :mad: )