Advice on AVR that will primarily be for music

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1350271639' post='778873]

http://www.dtvforum....howtopic=118244

The above a recent post on another forum, and that's adding a multichannel power amp on end of a gutsy 23kg onkyo sr875 avr

And it's quite typical. Experienced the same myself some years ago where added same to grunty hk avr had at the time. Speakers were quite humble richters from the 90s.

It's the clarity, detail soundstage, envelopement even at low volume levels plus theres the great dynamic range. It's often forgotten but its not the quantity but the quality of the watts that's important :)

Yeah, I guess this kind of stuff is probably a bit out of my range at the moment. That thread is talking about a power amp that's worth a few thousand plugged in to an AVR that's worth a reasonable amount, right? I would expect a better result from something like that. For my budget, and my needs, a reasonable (although not top of the range) AVR might be sufficient, and then if it's got preouts I can step it up later.

I understand the quality over quantity argument, that's why I thought I would gauge some opinions here. I don't have access to somewhere where I can audition a wide variety of equipment (at least not until next year), so it's over to other people's opinions in the meantime.

Thanks for all the help though. I think I'm starting to grasp what I might need.

Yeah, I guess this kind of stuff is probably a bit out of my range at the moment. That thread is talking about a power amp that's worth a few thousand plugged in to an AVR that's worth a reasonable amount, right? I would expect a better result from something like that. For my budget, and my needs, a reasonable (although not top of the range) AVR might be sufficient, and then if it's got preouts I can step it up later.

In my opinion, if you're primarily after 2 channel performance (at least to start with), you're way better off with a mid range AV receiver (with pre-outs) paired with a lower end power amp. For the same money (or thereabouts) as a high end AV receiver, the performance difference will blow you away. In my case, adding power amps to a Marantz AV receiver made the biggest difference in sound quality that I've ever heard.

Or even better, an Emotiva UMC-1 processor and an Emotiva XPA-200 power amp would be around $1200 or so delivered, and you'd be struggling to find anything better sounding for that amount of money. Depending on whether you're planning to expand to a full 5.1/7.1 system in future, you could get power amps with more channels than you currently need, and just add speakers later.

Or even better, an Emotiva UMC-1 processor and an Emotiva XPA-200 power amp would be around $1200 or so delivered, and you'd be struggling to find anything better sounding for that amount of money. Depending on whether you're planning to expand to a full 5.1/7.1 system in future, you could get power amps with more channels than you currently need, and just add speakers later.

Yeah, I don't know... The price is right, but there seem to be so many issues with the UMC-1 that I'm a little wary.

I just realised that if I DID head in that direction, I would need a headphone amp as well, right? Then it all starts getting a little messy. Any suggestions?

I've got a pair of AKG Q701s.