"Pop" when putting record clamp on

I've started (after changing equipment) to get a little "pop" in the right channel when I touch the metal part of the turntable clamp to the spindle.

This happens when there is no needle down. Seems like an earthing issue, or stray static electric problem? Not too sure... any suggestions?

Al

Magical things those black disk spinners - aren't they. I would also suggest zapping yourself with a taser-gun before operating record playing machinery - it won't help with a pop, but you will probably have great difficulties hearing anything (let alone a small pop). :):thumb:

• Like 1

Decky is on the money here with the zap yourself suggestion.If your body becomes statically charged then,when you touch an earthed component a path is created for the 'pop' to occur.As to the cause of the charge build up; polypropylene carpet,rubber or synthetic soles are typical suspects.The worse case you can have have of this phenomenon is when you receive a small electric shock.The worst effect is when you are dealing with a statically charged car via a door handle.

Yep just touch the chasis of a component before you touch the turntable

I have been thinking of seeing how hard it would be to earth the bearing on my TNT , I have a look and think about it , if I come up with a workable solution I'll get back to you

Warren

• Like 1