Help/advice to upgrade or not too upgrade?

Hi all,

I am new here and looking for some advice in regards to setting up a new HiFi system and whether its worth getting new gear.

The story goes like this:

I have an old system as a hand-me down from the inlaws. It consists of a technics SA 5150 receiver and a pair of wharfedale dovedale 3 speakers circa 1975-77 (I have posted links to the gear below). It was sounding really bad but after a bit of low level maintenance it's back up sounding good again. It's a pretty low powered system ( amp 20w per channel at 4 ohms and the 3 way speakers power handling is 50w) but the room isn't large and it puts out about 75dB of nice clean sound at 1/4 volume which is more than enough. It seems to handle all the music I can throw at it from pop, electro, to metal, my father in law is a rock and jazz man, and although it distorts at louder volumes and when I ramp up the bass on the amp, I would never routinely listen to music at this level.

The system is just in the lounge room but the house is open plan dining and kitchen but we rent so no plans to setup a multi-room wireless or doing anything too fancy.

Most of the music is in the from of digital downloads and CDs. We do play the sound from DVDs through the system as well, but are not planning on going down the home theater root as not massive home movie buffs.

The plan was to drop 2.5-3k on a new or newer second hand system, but now that its sounding pretty nice I'm wondering if its worth it.

My main questions are

1) Does anyone have any experience with this gear. What was it like back in the day and how it holds up in the digital era, and

2) have an idea on what I'd have to spend today to get something better. If I can get new or near new stuff in my price range that is an upgrade in terms if quality then I may consider it, if not then (against my wife's wishes as she really wants some new gear!) we may just hang onto the old stuff (plus the old technics receiver looks sweet all lit up!)

Thanks for all your help,

Sam

http://www.thevintag...Dovedale_3.html

There are a few conflicting specs out there for the receiver

http://www.vintagete...ivers/index.htm and

http://audio-databas.../sa-5150-e.html

Edited by arkticfox

$2.5 - $3k on just amp and speakers would get you improvements - in longevity as well as the sound. Buying new is the obvious option, but second hand will get you much better equipment for the same price.

If you need to buy new source (DVD / CD / streamer) then it would be better to spend and then save - do it piecemeal and start with better speakers, then decide on your amp.

One argument for going new is to get the convenience of remote control - that can make other halves very happy; I doubt your hand-downs would have that convenience. Of course, if you would rather buy new software (things to listen to in whatever format) then stick with what you have and spend, spend, spend :-)

Hi Greg,

I would say pretty important, she is going to kicking around the house alot next year and want something that sounds good.

I have just found out that one of the tweeters is gone and I am in the process of trying to fix/diagnose the issue but this means that we will definately probable get new speakers (no matter my thoughts on the subject, ha ha)

The budget is 2-3K but I would ideally still like to drive the speakers off the old amp, so I can splash out. The Dovedales will become my little project no doubt!

These are two sets I have been looking at but any advice would be great (esp advice regaurding if the old technics could power the speakers, we wouldn't be listening to anything super loud and the room is probable 6x6m and open plan into the dining and kitchen but I'd hate to spend 2.5K on speakers and screw them due to clipping),

http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/summoner-floorstanders.html (probs the Summoner 1093SRTL)

or the

Polk RTiA7s http://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia7

thanks

Sam

While it is definitely possible to put new speakers on an old amp it is also true that an under-powered, shouty amp will destroy speakers more efficiently than a powerful amp. If you are tempted to turn the old amp up, that is the likely outcome, so beware.

If, however, you can control your (and your wife's) volume control fingers then by all means get the new speakers and see what they sound like. You could probably even take your amp into the speaker shop to try it with them. Good hi-fi shops will let you do this. I would, however, contemplate a new amp (or second hand) to give you a better all round sound and the chance of keeping your new(er) speakers in tact.

I don't really know either of these specifically, although there are some reviews out there.

I do like acoustic suspension speakers, (there is some conflict about whether these are or not), and Wharfedale was a good name back when these were new. Speakers can age exceptionally well--however, these were a budget line and if a driver goes it may be hard to replace.

The receiver appears underpowered for the speakers (again there are differences in opinion as to what DIN 50 watts means for the speakers. One review states they are 15-20 watts capable only.) and as a 17 watter could easily destroy any speakers if driven into clipping--very easy to do and likely what you are hearing when you crank it up a bit. Clipping generates square(ish)-waves and the high frequencies of the squared off bits cook tweeters.

The amp probably needs a good rehab--the capacitors at least are probably way off-specification. You would be wise to get it checked.

I can't see the amp servicing the Summoners despite their high efficiency.

Recommendation:

If you want to keep both:

Do a careful visual inspection for torn anything, loose anything, or parts of the speaker cones etc. separating. If they look fine, borrow a good new amp (at least 50 watts per channel) and try the speakers with that. If no distortion is evident on moderate to loud volume then the speakers are probably OK. It would probably be wise to get the crossovers checked to see if parts need replacing.

Get the amp checked.

If you want to replace both:

I really can't say--I have no recent experience in this price range. I would probably recommend used if you feel confident in being able to identify problems.

Replacing one or the other:

I reckon that this is probably the least likely to work successfully in the long run, unless you spend money on refurbishing.

Greg

So I think I'm going to get the summoners

http://www.adelaides...orstanders.html (the Summoner 1093SRTL)

Had a chat with the guy who makes them who said the amp will be fine, and can always upgrade the amp later.

What are people's thoughts with regard to these speakers, it seems people who own them love them.

Bad idea. Very bad idea.

Upgrade both amp and speakers or keep what you have,otherwise it is a waste of your time and money.

You seem to like your present rig so why not stick with it and wait until you can afford a decent amplifier and speaker combination purchased at the same time. It is also a very bad idea to buy speakers without auditioning them first, no matter what sales spiel is used.

I make no apology for being honest and I hope you can accept this as made in good faith.

• Like 1

Hey Rantan,

Absolutely I have no probs with people being straight down the line, esp when it comes to advice.

Greg,

In terms of the current amp/speaker setup it all seems to be humming along pretty well. I am going to take the amp into hifi exchange in box hill on Saturday and ask the technician there to give it an overhaul.

The only issue is the one blown tweeter, there is very little out there regarding replacing these with any modern equivalents, in the absence of getting my hands on original parts, but I have found one suggestion and found that particular tweeter in Adelaide for $45.

I have asked the company to send me the specs of the part and will see if it fits.

In terms of the summoners and the amp well ill just sleep on it all and if I can afford to bump up my budget $500 and get an amp as well, there seems to be plenty of threads out there for amps in the $1000 price range

• 3 weeks later...

So to finally put this thread to bed I thought I better come clean on my final decision, I have completely upgraded everything!

The current setup (and long may it stay that way or my wife my just shoot me) is:

A pair of Ascension Summoners 1093SRTLs from Adelaide Speakers

A 40wpc Quasimodo amp ala Richard McDonald

A Marantz CD63 (got for just the postage, thanks again to Richard)

Sonos system for the streaming all the CDs I have been furiously ripping over the last week..

The old Technics amp has been relegated to position of tuner.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice (even though I may have not heeded it!).

I have a put a couple of photos up as well,

Thanks again,

Sam

Oh yeah and the most important thing is that is sounds freakin amazing!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smcaphoto/8104720122/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smcaphoto/8104706249/in/photostream/

hi

i bought a smaller version of the Summoners (863) on impulse and without auditioning. Crazy. I drive them as the fronts in my HT using an Onkyo 609 AVR.

Am totally thrilled with them, so count myself lucky. Was playing the soundtrack to 'Shine' yesterday, and now i want to get more piano music because it sounded so good.

Cheers

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the whole thing is sounding great in the last week it has really started to open up. In fact its sounding that awesome that my wife said to me "I think it would probably sound better with some room treatment, do you think that's the next thing we should do!". Crazy times, crazy times.

Best to all

Sam

• Like 1

Yeah the whole thing is sounding great in the last week it has really started to open up. In fact its sounding that awesome that my wife said to me "I think it would probably sound better with some room treatment, do you think that's the next thing we should do!". Crazy times, crazy times.

Best to all

Sam

Room Treatments will enhance everything! Hear more from your speakers and hear less of the room!

I am using Panels from Megasorber at the moment and will purchase more soon to enhance my music room even more.

P100 around $185 per panel @ 2.4m x 1.2m x 100mm (thick polyester)

1.2m x 1.2m around $90 each.

Edited by ronsound

Hey Ronsound

I think that will be great addition to the whole sound of the room but as renting having anything that requires drilling "installing" etc is a no go. Is there anything out there that you can hang with the likes of 3M adhesive hangers?

Living in melbs, it would be good to talk to a few suppliers anyone know some good people to chat to?

As another thing totally off topic is there anywhere in melbs that does Sonos mods?