Budget A/V Receiver Recommendations Please

• Administrator

Thanks guys, I certainly had considered a PS3 for blu-ray duties ... but I don't know it's just not a nice solution IMO (It's a games console in my eyes) and I really don't need / want a gaming console.

Cambridge / Denon / Yamaha - this is the dilemma.

I feel the Denon might be the better choice, but the Yamaha is cheaper + I know Joz has looked after his. Plus he's just an all round nice bloke so I think I'll take it off his hands. :rolleyes:

I'm only doing that based on the fact that in 12 months time I'm likely to simply upgrade the whole lot so I know this will be more than adequate for a short while.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys. I'll be back to talk DVD / Bluray / dedicated CDP in the coming days.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I certainly had considered a PS3 for blu-ray duties ... but I don't know it's just not a nice solution IMO (It's a games console in my eyes) and I really don't need / want a gaming console.[/b]

Fair enough mate. Everyones entitled to an opinion :rolleyes:

You may also like to consider the Sharp BDHP20X, possibly not the best looking of the current crop, although there are some excellent prices being thrown around, the latest being Harvey Norman at Chadstone for $399.00, and if you buy before Dec31 you get 8 Blu Ray movies via redemption.

BDHP20X_2744_image2.jpg[/b]

Wow thats a great deal almost worth another player just to get the movies. Good spotting

No offense taken mate, your points are all valid, and everyone should take in all the points and make decisions based on what they want and need.

I just wouldnt buy any other blu ray player at the moment as they are over priced and are not garanteed to be upgradeable to profile 1.1 let alone profile 2.0 in the future. At least with the PS3 there is always the possibility of software updates in the future and even if it never eventuates you still have an extremely capable DVD player that upscales via HDMI and also plays the latest games, not to mention will play your blu-ray movies :rolleyes:

I personally think its an excellent solution at this point in time for anyone thinking to get into Blu-Ray.[/b]

Drizt although 1.1 capabilities of players are not common.Good on the PS3 here.

For people that just want a premier movie watching experience its not really important.

As in say my case where PQ+SQ far outweigh the special features on a disc.

this is the trouble with blu ray

nothing is finalised yet

just get HD DVD player instead :biggrin:

the toshibe xe-1 is awsome you can also order your movies from overseas as there is no region coding on HD DVD and there is a firmware upgrade to make it region free for DVD also

Oh and its propably one of the best upscaling standard DVD players on the market also

Hey Marc,

on the topic of separate 2ch vs. surround system, the way I have mine at the moment is the surround does all but front left/right by the built-in amp, and then I feed the line outs for those two channels to a second input on the 2ch preamp.

so for cd's, sacd, dvd-a etc, the digital goes through my DAC/pre/amp for the 2ch, and surround goes through the AVR and front channels via the 2ch system. I have the HDMI of the disc player connected to the AVR, and the (coaxial) digital output connected to the DAC.

works ok this way, and just have the volume set at a particular spot on the pre to get it right for the AVR's other channels.

as to the AVR to recommend, all those mentioned have a reasonable reputation, let features and price be your guide (oh, but not the NAD).