Sign in to follow this  
DoggieHowser

Denon AVR4520

Interestingly enough, the first instance of an English manual for this product is from the Australian distributor!!

http://www.audioproducts.com.au/downloadcenter.aspx

This is the new AVR that is fully loaded with all the new tech and buzzwords.

11.2 channel AVR with DTS Neo X, DSX and IIz (9.2 channels)

XT32 AutoEQ processing

LFC (low frequency containment) that's supposed to keep the sub sounding great in the room but not disturbing neighbours in the next room)

The official thread in AVS has all the details

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430049/the-official-denon-avr-4520ci-thread

It lacks some of the stuff like a torroidal transformer of the older 4810 that I have but this seems to be the first credible replacement.

If an AVR doesn't rock your boat, Marantz is releasing an AV Pre based on this model.

I don't know all pics of internals have seen it looks lot like the current 4311 with a bit of tinkering. Closer to 4311 than 4810 :)

Yeah, it is based on the 4311 so no torroidal transformer etc.

I am still keeping my options open for either the Onkyo replacement for the 5509 or the Marantz but it seems like both Denon/Marantz and the Onkyo are crippling this generation of products (no multichannel analog inputs on the Onkyo etc).

Lighter than the 4311 with a smaller power supply.

HI Guys, if anyones interested I have one!    running VAF I66 and DCX,   gutsy amp, makes the speakers sing and has a lot of dynamics to it, Lots of features.

Can you bridge channels ie six channels into front L/C/R? or maybe bi amp?

edit sorry, found it.

Edited by ronfishes

I ended up getting the Marantz equivalent (the AV8801). Have to say, Marantz have put in their trademark "warm" signature to it. I was using it in my father-in-law's system earlier replacing his Audiolab 8200CDQ and I thought the highs seemed a bit veiled in comparison. That said, there's still an oddly enough surprising amount of detail retrieval that I hadn't noticed on the Audiolab previously.

Hopefully the LFC will allow me to watch movies while the missus is sleeping in the adjoining room :P

congrats ! definitely if only needing a processor the marantz makes more sense taking the 4520 solid base and adding better quality power supply and analog stages etc :)

I'm currently using an old Denon 4810 which has been working great. I had 9 channels of external amplification so only used it to drive the height speakers. When I got the Nemos, I had the bel canto ref1000Ms sitting in a corner so I guess it's a good reason to swap them in for the surrounds.