• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Before spending anymore money, check the speaker level trim's in the receiver. If they happen to be set at a minus value, especially from the channel to which reference is set from (left front usuall

just grab a universal remote probably easiest solution

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1351070358' post='784314]

2 hdmi outs is easy, you just add an inexpensive device such as this @ $38.50

http://www.ezyhd-cab...i-splitter.html

Good one, just better if it was in an all in one (yea i'm being a fussy pot, just trying to minimise the snake pit).

But, better if external anyway, seen so many < $1k receivers with faulty hdmi boards due to heat issues etc etc

Cambridge and Richter Wizard mk1 = big win!!! Match made in heaven. They are damn good speakers, I still love mine to death. The Onkyo must have had a problem I would say. They aren't anywhere near 100w/ch but it still should have driven the Wizards very hard. Onkyo's are a bit like Denon's, phantom watts. You compare something like a 100w/ch NAD to a 100w/ch Denon and it's laughable.

• 2 weeks later...

Cambridge and Richter Wizard mk1 = big win!!! Match made in heaven. They are damn good speakers

Sure is - plus I've just added a Rotel power amp - now I'm very happy with the sound. Although that damaged Wizard tweeter is showing itself a bit more now.

Has Blakey72 (or anyone else) have any suggestions on what other tweeters I could possibly replace them with.

THanks

i find this amusingly annoying.

The flagship of the Gaymaha Aventage RX-A3010 (which has won numerous awards, and I don't doubt its a great receiver), but how on earth does this unit achieve 150W per channel (and there are 9 channels btw) from a 480W power consumption rating?

Understand sometimes its not about how much power, its about quality not quantity blah blah blah, but you have to be really dumb to think 150W per channel in a 9 channel setup is possible from a 480W power rating.

The Yamaha Australia's website doesnt have an image stating the power consumption, but review websites globally have posted up images, here's one, and another

What's even worse, this is stated:

1,350W = 150W x 9 (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.06% THD, 2ch driven)

Its the Flagship of Yamaha.

I'm sure it does wonders.

But of all the times I have ever come across a Yamaha product, they are by far the worst of the big 4 AVR companies.

ALWAYS

This has always been enough for one potential customer to never, ever, ever, purchase Yamaha audio receiver products.

Ever.

Never in the past, never in the present, never in the future.

Apologies for the rant, but I really dislike heavily overstated and under deliverable products.

wilco add pioneer, sony, denon and onkyo to that list. the japanese avr makers are all pretty rubbish in that department. who do they think theyre fooling ! its why I find power consumption the real indicator of what they can consume at most rather than their BS power claims !

Sure is - plus I've just added a Rotel power amp - now I'm very happy with the sound. Although that damaged Wizard tweeter is showing itself a bit more now.

Has Blakey72 (or anyone else) have any suggestions on what other tweeters I could possibly replace them with.

THanks

not sure you'll have much luck on tweeter to replace. have you tried richter themselves ?

wilco add pioneer, sony, denon and onkyo to that list. the japanese avr makers are all pretty rubbish in that department. who do they think theyre fooling ! its why I find power consumption the real indicator of what they can consume at most rather than their BS power claims !

totally agree big al, Gosh don't even mention Sony!

With Denon and Onkyo, at least they somewhat try (note with sarcasm) to deliver on their claims by providing power consumption ratings higher than 800w for their somewhat more expensive products.

With Yamaha, u pay more for addons but the engine is still the same 490w power rating.

That's like buying a corolla with dsg gearbox and cow seating but has a very normal 1.8L pre 2000 vvti engine.

Yamaha r the worst, ever, ever, ever! ! ! ! !

They make gr8 products, but they should start asking real consumers what they want, rather than making pretty black boxes with 2 knobs!

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1352277956' post='792992]

not sure you'll have much luck on tweeter to replace. have you tried richter themselves ?

Finally got onto Richter & they put me onto Speakerbits in Port Melb, so sent it off to them for repair.

• 10 months later...

I have only just stumbled onto this thread. I would like to ask SJB, if he is still around, if he had problems with the remote. Apparently Onkyo AV remotes of that time were notorious for just conking out. I want to do a bit of adjustment with mine, and the bugger will not work.

Re the AV itself, I note a lot of negative comment surfaced in this thread.

FWIW, I love the Onkyo AV sound, and have never found apparent volume an issue.

Does anyone have any clues about rebooting the remote.

ZM.

Hi I to have just seen this thread. I was wondering if the  Integra Avrs tell porky's about their power ratings as well?

yes, as do yamaha, pioneer, marantz, denon, sony and the like.

you'll find the likes of rotel, nad, harman kardon, arcam, cambridge pretty honest and conservative in their ratings.

the big give away is the max consumption stated in specs and sometimes stamped on back of the amps...as obviously cant output more power from an amp than it consumes...

some makers will claim one or two channels driven rather than all channels driven. some will claim power claim with cr@p distortion or just at 1khz ! 

I would disregard power claims personally keeping in mind its not the quantity but the quality thats the important thing. otherwise we would all buy PA amps and be happy :D

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mike N
      Hi everyone
      This is my first post😃 I have read a lot of other posts and reviews, reading opinions on various avr choices. It has gotten to a point where I would like to get an opinion on my setup🙏 
      My current set up is 7.2 
      I am currently using pre/pro Onkyo pr sc 5009 with Onky 5501a 9ch amp. Speakers are Jamo D450 (biamped) and D4centre. Rears and surrounds are Klipsch rp 250s. Subwoofers 2x svs sb2000pro.
      I am only watching movies/shows. Watching through Mitsubishi HC9000D projector - which is a 1080p 3D projector - still looks good
      Generally I am very happy with the setup, occasionally I feel I would like more from my centre speaker.
      I am going through my 8 year itch on the Onkyo and I was hoping someone might help scratch it.
      So the question is, is it worth updating the processor and if so, what would be the best options.  I have looked at the Anthem avm70, Marantz av7706/8805 and Denon av8500.
      I look forward to some advice and opinions
      Thanks
      Michael

• By mchuelio
      Item Condition: Used, (In new condition) Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Melbourne State: VIC Payment Method: CASH or Paypal Reason for selling: Too many receivers. ONKYO THX TR-RZ810 
      AS NEW UNIT WITH BOX

POWERFUL RECEIVER IN AS NEW CONDITION, KEPT IN SPARE ROOM AND HAS HAD LITTLE USE.
      Only used as processer as I used my Rotel power amp to run speakers.

MAKE ME AN OFFER.

3 YEARS OLD, DOLBY ATMOS AND VISION, DTS X, 4K PASSTHROUGH. SPOTIFY, DEEZER AND TIDAL ETC...

Current model: https://www.digitalcinema.com.au/onkyo-tx-rz840-9-2-channel-thx-certified-av-receiver.html
      Onkyo: https://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-rz810/index.html 

A Receiver to Make Dreams a Reality
      If you’re dreaming of the high-end on a mid-level budget, here’s your solution.
      Engineered for immensely powerful yet controlled THX® Theater Reference sound, the TX-RZ810 comes with features you really want, such as Chromecast built-in*, AirPlay, Wi-Fi®, and Bluetooth®.
      Add optional wireless speakers to other rooms and mirror network music and audio via external analog inputs via FlareConnect™** using Onkyo Controller to manage playback, or enjoy multi-zone music with Powered Zone 2 outputs and Zone 3 line outputs. Zone 2 HDMI® shares 6G video on a second display, making the TX-RZ810 not only a wall-shaking powerhouse but also a hub for distributed entertainment.
      Boasting a similar 5 Hz-capable build as our flagships—separate analog/digital circuitry, massive transformer, huge capacitors, and discrete amps—the TX-RZ810’s sheer agility and dynamism exceeds the highest expectations.

• By Cono28
      Item Condition: Exellent Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Maribyrnong 3032 State: VIC Payment Method: Paypal Bank transfer Reason for selling: Trying different brand of DSP Further information: Prefer local pick up i have no box and this amp weight near 20 kg
       https://av-receivers.net/onkyo/onkyo-tx-nr929-review/

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By barryj46
      Item Condition: Used Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available. Suburb or Town: Bibra Lake WA State: WA Payment Method: Cash or EFT Reason for selling: Not required as going stereo only Further information: Renowned Pioneer AV 4K 9.2 amplifier is good used condition

https://www.whathifi.com/au/pioneer/sc-lx59/review

Specifications here - https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/products/av_receiver/sc-lx59/specification.php

Misplaced MCACC microphone and original boxes not available, so local pick up is preferred.

AMPLIFICATIONS
      Channels: 9
      Amplification Type: Class D (Direct Energy HD)
      760 W Multi ch Simultaneous Drive (8 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %)
      240 W/ch (4 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven)
      190 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven)
        CONSTRUCTION DESIGN
      Advanced Direct Construction
      Rigid Trans-Stabilizer
      Insulated Dual Chassis
      Anti-Standing Wave Insulator
        AUDIO FEATURES
      Dolby Atmos®/Dolby® TrueHD/Dolby Digital Plus/Dolby Surround
      DTS:X/DTS Neural:XTM Ready*1
      DTS-HD Master Audio/DTS-ES/DTS Neo:X|11.1
      DSD Direct Playback via Network/USB (2.8 MHz, 5.6 MHz/2ch)
      DSD Disc (SACD) Playback via HDMI (2.8 MHz/5.1ch, 2ch)
      SABRE32 Ultra DAC (ES9016S) for 9.2ch
      Audio Scaler 192 kHz/32-bit Enhancer
      MCACC Pro Room Calibration
      Full Band Phase Control Auto Phase Control Plus/Phase Control Plus Standing Wave Control 3D Time Axis Measurement Subwoofer EQ (4 Band) Bass Management System for Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers Sound Enhancements
      PQLS Bit-stream/Multi-Surround/2ch Advanced Sound Retriever (Multi-ch) Auto Sound Retriever/Auto Sound Retriever for ARC Auto Level Control (Multi-ch) Virtual Speakers (Wide/Height/Surround Back) Rendering Mode Advanced Surround Modes
      Action, Drama, Advanced Game, Sports, Classical, Rock/Pop Front Stage Surround Sound Retriever Air, Phones Surround ECO Mode 1, ECO Mode 2 Input Volume Absorber
      Speaker System 15 Patterns Including 7 Patterns for Dolby Atmos
        VIDEO FEATURES
      Ultra HD Pass-through with HDCP 2.2 (4K/60p/4:4:4/24-bit, 4K/24p/4:4:4/36-bit, 4K/60p/4:2:2/36-bit)
      Video Scaler (1080p to 4K) with Super Resolution
      Triple HD Noise Reduction
      Advanced Video Adjust
      Stream Smoother/Stream Smoother Link
        HOME NETWORK FEATURES
      Apple AirPlay Certified
      DLNA CertifiedTM (1.5)
      HTC ConnectTM Certified
      Compatible with Windows® 8.1
      Music File Playback/Seek via Network/USB: AIFF, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, MP3, WMA, AAC, DSD
      192 kHz/24-Bit Audio playback (AIFF, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC)
      Multi-Channel (5.1ch, 5.0ch) Audio Playback (WAV*2, FLAC*3)
      Gapless Playback for AIFF, Apple Lossless, WAV, FLAC, AAC, MP3, DSD
      Spotify® Digital Music-Streaming Service Ready*4
      Internet Radio with vTuner
        CONVENIENCE FEATURES
      iPod Digital Transmission via Front USB Terminal
      AndroidTM Audio/Video Playback with MHLTM
      Start-up Navi (Initial Setting App) Ready (iOS/Android)*5
      AVNavigator (Wiring Navi/Interactive Operation Guide)
      iControlAV5 Remote Control App Ready (iOS/Android)*5
      HDMI ZONE Out (HDZONE)
      Built-in Wi-Fi® (Dual Band 5 GHz/2.4 GHz)
      Built-in Bluetooth® Wireless Technology (Version: 2.1 + EDR, Profile: A2DP/AVRCP, Codec: SBC/AAC)
      Power Save for HDMI Standby Through
      Learning Remote Control (Luminous)
        FRONT TERMINALS
      HDMI 1 in
      USB 1 in for iPod/iPhone, USB drive
      MCACC Setup MIC in
      Phones 1 out
        REAR TERMINALS
      HDMI 7 in (7 assignable, 1 for HDMI/MHL)
      HDMI 3 out (2 for MAIN, 1 for MAIN/HDZONE)
      Ethernet 1 In
      AV (Composite) 2 In/1 Out
      Audio 1 In (assignable)
      Digital Coaxial 2 In (assignable)
      Digital Optical 2 In (assignable)/1 Out
      Component Video 1 In (assignable)
      Monitor Composite 1 Out
      Preout 11.2 ch (13.2 ch terminals)
      Speaker 11 ch Out
      Independent Dual Subwoofer
      IR 2 In/1 Out
      12 V Trigger x 2/RS-232C
        SPECIFICATIONS
      Power Requirements: AC 220-230 V, 50/60 Hz
      Power Consumption/Standby:
      330 W/0.1 W
      Dimensions (W x H x D):
      435 x 185 x 441 mm
      Weight: 15.3 kg

Photos:

PLEASE READ
      If you include any reference to pricing whatsoever in this section (excluding RRP), your ad will not be approved If you are advertising multiple items, you must post one bulk price only, or post seperate ads for each item If you don't include photographs of the actual item being sold, your ad will not be approved You understand that a reasonable donation for selling fees is expected upon successful sale of your item
      - if you have previously sold items and not made a donation, your advertisement may not be approved.

• By DoubleD
      Hi there,
      Does anyone have any feedback or has purchased the Richter Merlin 6 Bookshelves
      Looking for a bookshelf to match with the new Sonos Amp, preferably without a Sub for approx $1,000
      Medium sized living space and used for a mix of TV, Turntable and Streaming services.
      I'm tossing up between these and the Wharfedal Evo 4.1
      Thanks!