Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, deanB said:

Still getting plenty of valve goodness with the Supratek preamp. I was quite worried about giving up the valve amp though, but once the listening began, the benefits of having the crossover feeding dedicated amps for each speaker soothed my anxieties. 

I'm chewing over between a Single  Ended Solid State Power amp either 30w or 50w Nelson Pass type First Watt/ Aleph Clone... OR.. a Raisong/Boyuu Chinese KT 88 power amp Single ended 18 watts. I have a Audio Experience Symphonies Tube Preamp which has a Golden Sweet tone (coloured sweet Guilty Pleasure! ) similar to the USA Conrad Johnson type preamp sound if you're familiar with that. That would feed my Power Amp (to be) 

Would any kind folks in (or near) Sydney be happy demo their Ascension speakers?  

I'm working with Edward for my theatre speakers but cannot get into South Australia to visit him.  I'll most likely go for two-way designs, using 6.5" SB Acoustics drivers (two for each LCR; one for each of the 4 surrounds).  Currently selecting tweeters.  I have existing SVS subs. 

All kind offers of a short demo would be greatly appreciated!  

2 hours ago, bigkahuna_gw said:

Would any kind folks in (or near) Sydney be happy demo their Ascension speakers?  

I'm working with Edward for my theatre speakers but cannot get into South Australia to visit him.  I'll most likely go for two-way designs, using 6.5" SB Acoustics drivers (two for each LCR; one for each of the 4 surrounds).  Currently selecting tweeters.  I have existing SVS subs. 

All kind offers of a short demo would be greatly appreciated!  

Hey mate,

I have Summoner 863SQTL (L+R) and matching 253SQ (Center) setup in HT. PM me and lets see if I can help out with the demo.

can anyone describ the AS sound ? 

at first I was looking at the 825sq , but after reading on their web side, I saw the summoner 1293 PQTL, ohh boy that 12' woofer ;) I'm looking for a speaker that plays music and is fun, not so much analytic, of course I like there to be a sound stage but thats not as important as it can make my foot move up and down involuntary, and feel the music.

I mostly listen to rock music (from the 50th till today ) 

I will use Luxman 509 int amp for power, my room is 4meters x 6.5 meters

is it more towards JBL and Klipsch sound or more analytic ?

17 hours ago, chilipepper said:

can anyone describ the AS sound ? 

at first I was looking at the 825sq , but after reading on their web side, I saw the summoner 1293 PQTL, ohh boy that 12' woofer ;) I'm looking for a speaker that plays music and is fun, not so much analytic, of course I like there to be a sound stage but thats not as important as it can make my foot move up and down involuntary, and feel the music.

I mostly listen to rock music (from the 50th till today ) 

I will use Luxman 509 int amp for power, my room is 4meters x 6.5 meters

is it more towards JBL and Klipsch sound or more analytic ?

I don't really know about the sound comparisons as I've not heard the speakers you mention but i have a pair of custom built 1293pqtl from Edward and they are definitely not analytical. I can sit there and listen to them for hours on end. Not fatiguing at all. Great bass with the modified peerless woofer and I drive mine with a Rogue tube amp. Absolutely love the music these make. I've also got a pair of 863prtl and a custom built 253sq on ht duties. Probably haven't really answered your question as such but if you get a chance to listen to them I think you would be pleasantly surprised.  Value for money is pretty hard to beat.20190208_175438.thumb.jpg.2ff7806b373e6cd788b335a6f8f70b2d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, chilipepper said:

That's one sexy looking speaker ?I agree it looks like good value for money.. if they play as well as everyone says 

what did you get custom made on yours ? If you do t mind me asking 

20190208_174610.thumb.jpg.1d48450066f4a9084d97975ada6c5cd0.jpg

Not at all. They are a modified version of the 1293PQTL. Basically the drivers are the same but the size was changed to suit my requirement to fit in under the architrave of the window. He changed the position of the mid and the tweeter so that the transmission line length would work with the shorter height and made them left and right. He also added floor spikes. They are finished in Blackwood veneer. The transmission line bass design is fantastic and I have a aaron 240 sub sitting there that I have never had the need to turn on. The beauty of the TL design is you can position the speakers against a wall with no problems. I had him put the ports out the side just for aesthetics. I mostly play vinyl but I have also got a cdp and a dac hooked up and the music reproduction to my ears is great. Soundstage is wide and has great depth. I would definitely recommend calling Edward and talk to him about your requirements as he is more than accommodating. Good luck in your quest. Keep an eye out in the classifieds as well as they do occasionally pop up for sale although rarely. 

Yeah and he actually charged less than the base model because there was a bit less material required. I can't speak highly enough of my experience with Edward. By the way I have no association with Adelaide Speakers at all, just one very happy customer.

• Like 1

Ok, so mostly everyone on this thread have had experience with Edward's speakers and many love it (my self included). However, I have never heard his subwoofer being mentioned. 

Are Edward's subwoofers also good? has anyone had any experience with it? Are they active or passive? and if active, what amp is being used?

28 minutes ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Ok, so mostly everyone on this thread have had experience with Edward's speakers and many love it (my self included). However, I have never heard his subwoofer being mentioned. 

Are Edward's subwoofers also good? has anyone had any experience with it? Are they active or passive? and if active, what amp is being used?

I am using Edwards 3.2 Speaker front stage for last 8 years and I am happy with the sound. Subwoofers are 1230 ETL I think using Eminence Lab 12 inch drivers. Not sure which Amp . Anyway These 2 Subs go down low. I had an Anthem Receiver and when using ARC and neasuring these were flat down to 19 hz If I remember. Hope that helps.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

I am using Edwards 3.2 Speaker front stage for last 8 years and I am happy with the sound. Subwoofers are 1230 ETL I think using Eminence Lab 12 inch drivers. Not sure which Amp . Anyway These 2 Subs go down low. I had an Anthem Receiver and when using ARC and neasuring these were flat down to 19 hz If I remember. Hope that helps.

Cheers

20200913_171139_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gillmaverick said:

Cheers

Hey Thanks for that. I am also using Edwards Summoner for front stage and matching centre and mine is also being driven with Anthem receiver and Anthem Power amps and happy with it. My current sub isn't that big and I have been looking to get a bit of oomph at low frequencies.

Question, since there are no photos of the back of the sub on his site, I couldn't really tell what sort of connectors are available on them. i.e, line level or speaker level connections. Any insight on them?

1 minute ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Hey Thanks for that. I am also using Edwards Summoner for front stage and matching centre and mine is also being driven with Anthem receiver and Anthem Power amps and happy with it. My current sub isn't that big and I have been looking to get a bit of oomph at low frequencies.

Question, since there are no photos of the back of the sub on his site, I couldn't really tell what sort of connectors are available on them. i.e, line level or speaker level connections. Any insight on them?

I had a look and Amp has both Speaker level and line level inputs. Edwards keeps changing amps though So He might not be using the same Amp. Have a chat with him and He will tell you which one he prefers to use these days. 

I had a look and Amp has both Speaker level and line level inputs. Edwards keeps changing amps though So He might not be using the same Amp. Have a chat with him and He will tell you which one he prefers to use these days. 

OK, Thanks for your help. :)

I will have a chat with Edward about the subs.

Also Subs are about 30 kilo each. I nearly broke me back setting these up.

• 1 month later...

Well, been playing around with my Blackwood Ascension M853SQ from Edward. Got to say, it's quite good. I have demo'd a few bookshelves in the form of the Fyne 501, the Acoustic Energy AE500, Focal Arias and a few Bowers and Wilkins. From my experience, it prefer it to all of them except in terms of weight and perhaps treble extension in terms of the B&W but that was the high end model. I would really like to compare this M853SQ with the Wharfdale Linton one day~!

8 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Well, been playing around with my Blackwood Ascension M853SQ from Edward. Got to say, it's quite good. I have demo'd a few bookshelves in the form of the Fyne 501, the Acoustic Energy AE500, Focal Arias and a few Bowers and Wilkins. From my experience, it prefer it to all of them except in terms of weight and perhaps treble extension in terms of the B&W but that was the high end model. I would really like to compare this M853SQ with the Wharfdale Linton one day~!

Can we get a few photos @Suopermanni please? What height stands are you using?

Cheers,

Andrew

On 09/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Suopermanni said:

I Compared my 853s to the Linton. Very different. Lintons are very vintage in tone. More veiled too. Much prefer my 853s.. Mine were photographed and on their website. I just bought some Goldmund Replica Telos 200 (200w) Monoblocks.. OUTSTANDING

IMG_20201123_133811.jpg

IMG_20201123_195916.jpg

IMG_20201123_195928.jpg

IMG_20201123_200316.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, bryansamui said:

I Compared my 853s to the Linton. Very different. Lintons are very vintage in tone. More veiled too. Much prefer my 853s.. Mine were photographed and on their website. I just bought some Goldmund Replica Telos 200 (200w) Monoblocks.. OUTSTANDING

Thanks for the impressions, bryansamui! It helps cut down on the olde ''must try'syndrome.

• Like 1