ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

i havent read a lot of this thread but i recently visited Edward for some basic repair work.

skidstar's post sums up the guy, take the rest as you will.

Posted (edited)

My Ascencions are being made now. Take 3 weeks as are a custom 1 off build with a brand new model number (M853SQ)  Extra large Stand Mount 650 x300x400 ( Spendor 1/2 size!) 3 way, SB nrx drivers, extra damping pads, in White.. Have built the stands in anticipation. 10 days to wait!. 

Skidstar... Post a review when you think they've run in a bit.. 

Edited by bryansamui

9 hours ago, skidstar said:

I just recieved my 1093AQTL's from Adelaide Speakers,Love them.

Congrats on your new speakers!

9 hours ago, skidstar said:

Best (just under ) 2 k I've spent on anything...cars,bikes,audio,

This seems really to be their sweetspot. I have had many many speakers and can not think of another in this price range new that gives you this performance and build quality.

I was the same when I bought mine as totally amazed at what I got for my money compared to others I had tried.

I’m considering buying a pair of the Valve series but hesitant without hearing them. Anyone on the central coast or Sydney able to let me hear there valve series if they have a pair?

I just got myself Summoner 863SQTL for fronts and 253SQ for centre from Edward just a month ago. Never been more happy and satisfied with my home theatre till now that I have these speakers. These are amazing and worth every cents.

This seems to be the best investment I have made in my home theatre setup.

Posted (edited)

'Just arrived' 2 weeks ago my new 

Ascension M853 SQ (Custom Order) Extra Large 650 x300x400 Standmounts. 28kg!.. Inspired by the Harbeth HL5  only 15 kg ($7500  and Spendor 1/2 which were beyond my wallet.. I was wanting a Slice of that sound and am not disappointed! 

Wow, what a sound.. Do not regret showing my Martin Logan ($8000 new) the door... Made stands myself ($75) Auditioned speakers up to $4,000 ( B&W 603, Elac 247. 3, Wharfedale Linton, Proac Response(used)..... Nothing really cut the mustard.. Took 20 or so hours for these to smooth out (crossovers burning in??) 

I haven't heard such fast, tuneful, clean, articulate bass before.. Upright basses etc sound magic. Clean Bass at 30HZ.. Treble is not quite as extended, airy or detailed as my Martin Logans (i was expecting that) but then again, what cone speaker is? It is sweet, still extended but none of that  dreaded B&W, Monitor Audio 'Ice Pick in the ear sound' 

Midrange is more real and organic than the stats. Imaging, probably not as "pinpoint" as the best mini monitors but better than most floor standers.. I am prepared to forgo the ultimate in imaging for for 'very good imaging' with a large sonic canvas.. 

These speakers are an absolute winner... Uses SB NRX Drivers in Edwards tried and true Transmission Line. 

received_597924084411628.jpeg

IMG_20200602_153604.jpg

20191128_094149.jpg.8216047f64ecbfbf7230e2804164f4ca.jpg

received_1629729583849660.jpeg

received_896869987472798.jpeg

received_1164204667266698.jpeg

received_600242653926864.jpeg

IMG_20191029_191803_244.jpg

IMG_20200403_194722.jpg

Edited by bryansamui
Toby the Rabbit wanted In

Well done Bryan.

It is really nice when you get something custom made and it works out to be just what you wanted.  It seems that the cat likes them as well:)

Do you mean the bunny?

......I'm looking for a hidden ninja cat in the pictures now.....

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, rantan said:

Well done Bryan.

It is really nice when you get something custom made and it works out to be just what you wanted.  It seems that the cat likes them as well:)

Toby.. He's a Rabbit.. I won't tell him you called him cat.. I don't mind, but he gets upset... He got upset when i moved on the Martin Logans.! Yes I took a punt with the Ascensions but nothing up to $4000 impressed.. I couldn't afford Harbeths or Spendors  but got a bit of that vibe in there... Really didn't like that  'Exciting B&W sound.. Quite liked the Lintons but these were less Veiled

Edited by bryansamui

Posted (edited)

LOL.:)

I was just reading your post about these in another thread and I realised that Toby was indeed a rabbit,so give him my apologies. I am really pleased that the speakers are working so well for you.

Edit: I also agree about the Lintons, I tried to like them and had two separate auditions but I just couldn't even raise a flicker of joy with them and the word veiled is absolutely appropriate for them IMO. I don't really agree about Monitor Audio or B&W but that is definitely for another thread, so enjoy these  and rock on!

Edited by rantan

13 minutes ago, jamiebosco said:

Do you mean the bunny?

......I'm looking for a hidden ninja cat in the pictures now.....

Yes.. Toby my Rabbit gets his nose out of joint unless he's in the photos

1 hour ago, bryansamui said:

'Just arrived' 2 weeks ago my new 

Ascension M853 SQ (Custom Order) Extra Large 650 x300x400 Standmounts. 28kg!.. Inspired by the Harbeth HL5  only 15 kg ($7500  and Spendor 1/2 which were beyond my wallet.. I was wanting a Slice of that sound and am not disappointed! 

Wow, what a sound.. Do not regret showing my Martin Logan ($8000 new) the door... Made stands myself ($75) Auditioned speakers up to $4,000 ( B&W 603, Elac 247. 3, Wharfedale Linton, Proac Response(used)..... Nothing really cut the mustard.. Took 20 or so hours for these to smooth out (crossovers burning in??) 

I haven't heard such fast, tuneful, clean, articulate bass before.. Upright basses etc sound magic. Clean Bass at 30HZ.. Treble is not quite as extended, airy or detailed as my Martin Logans (i was expecting that) but then again, what cone speaker is? It is sweet, still extended but none of that  dreaded B&W, Monitor Audio 'Ice Pick in the ear sound' 

Midrange is more real and organic than the stats. Imaging, probably not as "pinpoint" as the best mini monitors but better than most floor standers.. I am prepared to forgo the ultimate in imaging for for 'very good imaging' with a large sonic canvas.. 

These speakers are an absolute winner... Uses SB NRX Drivers in Edwards tried and true Transmission Line. 

received_597924084411628.jpeg

IMG_20200602_153604.jpg

20191128_094149.jpg.8216047f64ecbfbf7230e2804164f4ca.jpg

received_1629729583849660.jpeg

received_896869987472798.jpeg

received_1164204667266698.jpeg

received_600242653926864.jpeg

IMG_20191029_191803_244.jpg

IMG_20200403_194722.jpg

Nice speakers, how much did they cost?

52 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Nice speakers, how much did they cost?

$1650 Direct from the manufacturer:  They'd be at 3 times that if they were through a distributor and then a retailer... The other saving of course is they're  a basic square box... Not one of these Fancy "Canoe Shaped Tapestries" eg Sonus Faber.. Wow,  Those are expensive to make.. I can not understand why box speakers can command high prices... They're  hardly architectural  wonders..

Hi @bryansamui, they look great! Few questions, are they gloss or matt white (can’t tell on my phone screen)? What is the distance from the bottom of the speaker to the tweeter?

cheers,

Andrew

22 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

Hi @bryansamui, they look great! Few questions, are they gloss or matt white (can’t tell on my phone screen)? What is the distance from the bottom of the speaker to the tweeter?

cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew.. They are actually a semi gloss/Satin. I really like it as it matches my low sheen black stands.. That will actually cut manufacturing costs quite a bit.. Gloss is very labour intensive. 

Do you want the measurement from the base of the cabinet to the centre of the tweeter? 

Good to hear that you're happy with your speakers, @bryansamui. As I played a minor role in your decision to go with AS for your speaker build, I'm a little bit relieved that you feel that you've got real value for your money.

25 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Hi Andrew.. They are actually a semi gloss/Satin. I really like it as it matches my low sheen black stands.. That will actually cut manufacturing costs quite a bit.. Gloss is very labour intensive. 

Do you want the measurement from the base of the cabinet to the centre of the tweeter? 

Yes please @bryansamui! They look interesting. My wife has said I can spend some tax return dollars, wondering if these would fit on existing 600mm stands I have.

24 minutes ago, deanB said:

Good to hear that you're happy with your speakers, @bryansamui. As I played a minor role in your decision to go with AS for your speaker build, I'm a little bit relieved that you feel that you've got real value for your money.

Absolutely Dean ! Thrilled . Thanks for your help .They exceeded my expectations.  The Bass eased back just like you said it would after  about 20hrs..  That is one Sweet tweeter , extended and smooth . Great  at low volumes but these speakers don't shout at you when you crank them up.   The Bass is Fast /Agile  and tuneful  at 30Hz.  The mid is really organic and real sounding and pops out of the mix... Awesome speakers.

Next Step is new Power Amp::  Single Ended Class A  Solid state.. Pass Labs Aleph 3A  or Aleph  Clone. Don't care... 

20 minutes ago, Ruffter said:

Yes please @bryansamui! They look interesting. My wife has said I can spend some tax return dollars, wondering if these would fit on existing 600mm stands I have.

Hi Andrew , Great it is passed 'The Minister of Finance" haha..  They are 425mm (Bottom of Cab to centre of Tweeter) ...   My Cabs are 650mm  X 300 x400 ( H W D )   My Stands are 460mm High. (1110mm Toal height)   They are quite heavy at 28kg..   Claimed Sensitivity is 91.5 db .. I wonder if you got the same Custom order on  your 600 Stands then  total 1250mm might be too high ?     The  Standard Catalogue speaker on their website (Same Drivers) is 500mm High (Not Small).. Would that be a better fit ?

48 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Next Step is new Power Amp::  Single Ended Class A  Solid state.. Pass Labs Aleph 3A  or Aleph  Clone. Don't care... 

Not sure if you're a DIYer, Bryan - but Hugh Dean has made his "Alpha Nirvana" available to the DIYAudio community.  I've just built one and I think it sounds superb.  It drives my 2 ohm ribbons and 3.2 ohm mid-range panels with ease.

You have to build this one yourself - from the bare boards up - but if that's not your bag, he has also come up with an upgraded circuit that he will sell as a fully-made up amp.  People who have built the Alpha Nirvana have also built Class A amps from Nelson Pass - and say the AN sounds better.  :)

Andy

11 minutes ago, andyr said:

Not sure if you're a DIYer, Bryan - but Hugh Dean has made his "Alpha Nirvana" available to the DIYAudio community.  I've just built one and I think it sounds superb.  It drives my 2 ohm ribbons and 3.2 ohm mid-range panels with ease.

You have to build this one yourself - from the bare boards up - but if that's not your bag, he has also come up with an upgraded circuit that he will sell as a fully-made up amp.  People who have built the Alpha Nirvana have also built Class A amps from Nelson Pass - and say the AN sounds better.  :)

Andy

Wow! So Single Ended is it? Is it 30 watts? I wonder what it would cost to get it made?.. I  can solder my guitar leads onto a mono plug, so i am as 'useless as an ashtray on a motorbike' 

28 minutes ago, bryansamui said:

Wow! So Single Ended is it? Is it 30 watts? I wonder what it would cost to get it made?.. I  can solder my guitar leads onto a mono plug, so i am as 'useless as an ashtray on a motorbike' 

It's actually a Class A push-pull amp, Bryan (which I understand is a peculiar beast!  :) ).  40w into 8 ohms.  You would need to contact Hugh ( @AKSA ) to get pricing for the fully made-up (and better-sounding!) version.

Andy

i am local, not sure exactly in Adelaide Edward is located ? curious if anyone has AS speakers paired with a tube amp ?

1 hour ago, Wayne Clements said:

i am local, not sure exactly in Adelaide Edward is located ? curious if anyone has AS speakers paired with a tube amp ?

According to Google, they are at 77 The Strand, Reynella SA 5161

12 hours ago, Wayne Clements said:

Some on this thread have them with tube amps... Mine are rated at 91.5db efficiency so should be tube amp friendly... Edward does make some ' tube specific' models which are even higher efficiency which are suitable for the low powered tube amps... None of his speakers from what i gather present difficult loads for amplifiers...