Sign in to follow this  
ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

I agree completely about buying a pair of 6k speakers without auditioning. (for myself and the money i'm spending i'm still happy buying speakers without hearing them, i like the excitement and suspense setting them up and hearing them for the first time, i've done this with all components to date) Though i change my mind about components more often than i change my jocks, so it's no big deal if something doesn't completely gel with the rest of the setup.

Really though he oughta have a set of them available for audition,difficult it may be, if anything it would spur on more buyers.

For the comments about them being the best value for money speakers in this price range, well that could go either way. I can say that the stand mounts i purchased for $700 are not twice the speaker of the usher s520 that they replaced. In hindsight the money would have been better spent elsewhere if one was merely aiming for a 2 ch setup.

Interesting though for those into HT and can't do a vertical centre, will know that there aren't many "big" centre speakers on the market, let alone available in Aus . For anyone interested Ed has quoted me $1400 for a centre channel speaker which measures 1220l x 240h x 415d (keeping slim height to match the L/R) with 4 x 6.5 midbass'' & 2 x 5''midrange drivers and a ribbon tweeter. No matter how you look at it a 7 driver 3 way speaker with a veneer finish in whatever colour you want at that price is good value.

Edited by Bus_Boy

I ordered yesterday, the 1240ETL Subwoofer (similar to the 1230ETL on his website ). But, I upgraded it to a better 12" driver, and 540w amplifier, which is used in their 15" subwoofer from my understanding.

I should have it in about 2 weeks,

Let us know how the sub goes Mick. I'm undecided about which way to go about the subs. Ed said be can build some enclosures to the dimensions that i need, and i can use my own drivers and amp. He quoted me somewhere between $350 and $400 per enclosure. He sells the single 15'' active sub for $1500, for the same sort of money i can get the enclosure, a driver such as the CSS SDX15, and a power amp, and set it up myself. I could also build the enclosure but none of my enclosures have turned out cheap let alone matching the veneer to the rest of the speakers. One could argue that the xbl2 motor on the CSS driver would outperform the likes of SB acoustics or the Eminence drivers that he uses? What do you reckon?

Edited by Bus_Boy

I am not sure which will be better. As long as the sub does what I expect it do, then it has been a good buy. But, I will have to wait until I have it delivered :). I will let you know how it goes.

I am not sure which will be better. As long as the sub does what I expect it do, then it has been a good buy. But, I will have to wait until I have it delivered :). I will let you know how it goes.

Hey,

Any update on how the 1240etl goes?

Thanks

sorry for the late reply, the subwoofer has been excellent. My wife complains the wall shake at the other end of the house.

I have just ordered a centre speaker from Edward due to the quality and service I received from Edward.

i think if someone wants to buy 6000 dollars  plus speakers they should get on a plane and go audition them..flights interstate these days are pretty cheap

Edited by yardley

i think if someone wants to buy 6000 dollars  plus speakers they should get on a plane and go audition them..flights interstate these days are pretty cheap

No disrespect to anyone, but if someone wants to buy $6K+ speakers, they may well be better off looking at established high end names.

I have heard several AS models and found them to be great value for money but the target market is for people starting out on the audio journey or people coming over to something decent rather than chain store boom boxes ( from which these are a huge improvement ) and that is definitely a very good thing.

i suppose phantom its how deep your pockets are

Very much agree but $6K isn't chump change. My only point is that at this level of money outlay, notwithstanding the quality of AS speakers, I would be looking at other brands/models to buy.

It's a different story at $1-2.5K where they offer very good value on a cost/performance basis :)

@6K, the speaker world is pretty big,with lots of very nice gear but rather than me giving my own likes, it might be best to just go out there and listen to the well known names, but speakers that you can actually sit down and listen to, either in-store or even at your place on trial.

Just like everyone else, I listened to a whole heap of speakers last year when I was looking around and my/our decision was based on actual auditions, several of which took place at home ,with my rig,in my room. There's no way known, I would spend $6K without a home audition, no matter what.

Anyway, I'm not here to lecture anybody,it's your cash and your life.

Good luck with it.

Sounded like one lol.  "You're crazy if you do that"...but I'm not giving you any starting points on alternate courses of action with other manufacturers in the same price bracket  :P

It comes down to personal preference.  The auditions that you held at your place are factored into the prices you pay. So each time someone else went to that same retailer and had a home audition without buying anything...well you subsidised that expense in the margin that you paid to the retailer.  Its like buying a $12k Tag Heuer knowing that $3k of that is going to Tiger Wood's hooker habit and watch is worth considerably less. I don't see that as more valid than seeking reviews from trusted people on web forums and basing a decision on those to cut out a retailers costs...but its horses for courses!

I was genuinely interested in which other brands you auditioned and which ones you ended up investing in, so its a pity that you didn't feel the need to add that detail ;)

what high end model would you suggest

alistairs adam deltas in the classifieds

I recently bought a pair of Ascension summoner 1293 prtl model speakers. Edward is very helpful, pleasant to deal with, and endlessly patient. the speakers arrived on time and were all i was hoping for. they look great, they sound great, and for the money outlayed i dont think you could do better. very happy with my choice. Tim Chase.

Just now, wiredforsound said:

Here we go again!!! Should be a block on AS queries. It's lecture time again.

Only if we get all the naysayers and grumblers popping in. ;)

I like how you can get nice wood finishes with Adelaide speakers. A lot of brands are going to painted finishes these days.

1 minute ago, rocky500 said:

Only if we get all the naysayers and grumblers popping in. ;)

I like how you can get nice wood finishes with Adelaide speakers. A lot of brands are going to painted finishes these days.

Yep. Totally agree. I've learnt a hell of a lot on stereonet, but for God's sake give it a rest. The usual suspects have made their point. Move on.

42 minutes ago, timwchase@outlook.com said:

I recently bought a pair of Ascension summoner 1293 prtl model speakers. Edward is very helpful, pleasant to deal with, and endlessly patient. the speakers arrived on time and were all i was hoping for. they look great, they sound great, and for the money outlayed i dont think you could do better. very happy with my choice. Tim Chase.

Congratulations on your purchase Tim.

I know what it was like for me the first time I bought my first set of Adelaide speakers.

I tried many brands, B&W, Focal, wharfedale etc and then came my Adelade speakers.

I could not believe the sound I got for the price I paid and wanted to go online to check if others had a similar experience. It was what started me getting into this hobby in a big way and really enjoying it too.

Good on you for posting on an Audio forum about your new purchase. We need more people to post their experiences (not just AS speakers) but any products. That is what makes it a great community.

Edited by rocky500

10 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

Congratulations on your purchase Tim.

I know what it was like for me the first time I bought my first set of Adelaide speakers.

I tried many brands, B&W, Focal, wharfedale etc and then came my Adelade speakers.

I could not believe the sound I got for the price I paid and wanted to go online to check if others had a similar experience. It was what started me getting into this hobby in a big way and really enjoying it too.

Good on you for posting on an Audio forum about your new purchase. We need more people to post their experiences (not just AS speakers) but any products. That is what makes it a great community.

Agreed but it should also include negative experiences and contributor sharing the negative experience should not be slaughtered;)

hello i sold my ca dvd99 to a man in brisbane when it arrived it was damaged and not working i either have to give him his money back or pay to repair..is there any chance you might sell yours if so how much thanks simon 0435161107 it might be cheaper to buy yours?