ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Seem to have a nice look and finish, reminiscent of some sonus Faber.

I would be curious to know of the quality.

As far as I'm aware there is only one member (Surf Star) on SNA with a pair of the Transcender speakers. There is a little info here

http://www.stereo.ne...i/page__st__180 see near bottom of page

They aren't the standard model however.

I was at Adelaide Speakers about a week ago but didn't see any of them.

The plate amp in my sub started playing up, so I took it back. Unfortunately (or fortunately lol) the same amp is not available any more. Edward cut me a good deal on a new 300 W amp to replace the old 225 W job. I have also oredered a complete new 1230 sub as I've been wanting twin subs for a while.

I will also be taking my Summoners back for a tune up in the near future. It's something I've meant to do since I purchased them as to my ears there is a slight forwardness in the upper midrange. It could be a combination of my room as I didn't notice it as much when I listened to them before taking them home. Also they are a bit bass shy in my room. An advantage of only living about 15 - 20 mins away :-)

Edited by 68premier

i have edwards older model speakers and they are still going strong. the transcenders i like the look of and im sure they must sound great. maybe i will give edward a call in the next few weeks

reminiscent of some sonus Faber.

that's putting it mildly. looks like a blatant copy (especially from the rear) - but not as pretty.

that's putting it mildly. looks like a blatant copy (especially from the rear) - but not as pretty.

Absolutely right.

The other thing is when spending that kind of money, I think I would be far more comfortable going with a pedigree brand like SF than AS, especially when they cannot even be auditioned prior to purchase.

**Disclaimer **

So that the forces of hell are not unleashed upon me and this thread, my comments are NOT a criticism or put down for AS, so no flames please. :)

If anyone was spending $5K+ on a speaker you'd want to hear it first..............right? Also, one may perhaps, possibly, maybe, go with a brand long established and critically acclaimed............right? :)

** Shuffles off to find the Nomex suit**

.... and not as pricey :)

Edited by rocky500

.... and not as pricey :)

i wonder if they sound less expensive?.... ;)

In audio I have found that you usually get what you pay for. Particularly speakers.

In audio I have found that you usually get what you pay for. Particularly speakers.

There seems to be a few exceptions to this rule with the speakers I have brought and tried.

The 2 I found so far were Tekton Lore and Adelaide speakers (in my system). Could be just me but from reading on forums from other owners it would seem they have similar opinions.

I have only owned 2 sets of AS Timberwolf series and 1 bookshelf, so not sure of the higher models.

Edited by rocky500

There seems to be a few exceptions to this rule with the speakers I have brought and tried.

The 2 I found so far were Tekon Lore and Adelaide speakers (in my system). Could be just me but from reading on forums from other owners it would seem they have similar opinions.

as long as you're enjoying the tunes - that's the main thing! :)

as long as you're enjoying the tunes - that's the main thing! :)

The thing is I'm not at the moment.

I am going through a swap-aroo stage at the moment. Trying many products in the hope of finding my complete system that I then can just sit back and relax to for a very long time without wanting to change anything.

It is kind of fun though.

I am going through a swap-aroo stage at the moment. Trying many products in the hope of finding my complete system that I then can just sit back and relax to for a very long time without wanting to change anything.

Funny thing that.

I am almost in the exact same position, so I am still looking but buying is somewhat further off now.

It will still happen though.

Edited by rantan

i have the same bug as you rocky

Whew, good to know I'm not the only one. Thanks rantan and yardley.

Some may have seen my post about the Firesprite stand mounts i purchased. Lovely finish on the exterior, brilliant sound, but quite messy on the inside of the enclosure. Still, i'm going to go ahead and order a large centre and driver matching left and right, and move the stand mounts up into the corner of the ceiling.

Edward was good to deal with, and was more than happy to spend a lot of time talking for what was a pretty small purchase.

well it seems that anyone who purchases wins in the end as i still think they are the best speakers going around value for money

I would actually be very interested to audition some, but as you would know, that is not possible.

Who would spend $5K+ on speakers one could not audition?

Some people perhaps, but not myself.

I would actually be very interested to audition some, but as you would know, that is not possible.

Who would spend $5K+ on speakers one could not audition?

Some people perhaps, but not myself.

rantan your in adelaide so your in edwards town. go and see him and listen to some of his speakers

rantan your in adelaide so your in edwards town. go and see him and listen to some of his speakers

I think a point was raised about not all models being available for audition?

The only speakers that one can listen to at AS are the ones that Edward is currently working on.

He is virtually a one man operation and does not have spare stock sitting around, nor does he have a showroom facility for demonstration.

This is not a criticism at all, just a statement of fact.

It may be worth a punt if spending $1000, but not if it was $6000.

The only speakers that one can listen to at AS are the ones that Edward is currently working on.

He is virtually a one man operation and does not have spare stock sitting around, nor does he have a showroom facility for demonstration.

I agree. I was lucky enough to demo a pair of Sumoners and after doing the rounds of some of the retailers in Adelaide, I decided they fitted my budget and performance goals. In hindsight I probably should have exhausted every outlet in Adelaide just to see what else was avalable. I'm happy with the Sumoners cosidering what I paid. Are they perfect? Hell no, but at $1100 at the time nothing else I listened to in that range was acceptable to me.

The sub was a dissapointment however. It just never seemed to have enough grunt or extension for my liking. Having said that, it was a big ask for it to keep up with a 200 WPC power amp running the fronts. I had to wind back the power considerably to get the fronts to try and integrate with that sub. Recently the plate amp died and I returned to AS and it was decided it would be replaced with a bigger amp at around cost price. As I was always intending on running two subs I also oredered a new sub with a degree of hesitation I must admit. The new sub is a newer design with a better driver. I should add that the repaired sub also copped some further tuning to improve it. My hesitation turned to delight when I got them home and plugged them in. The new sub is significantly better than the old one. The repaired sub is also much better, no doubt to its better amp although not quite as efficient as the new design and driver. I now have the extension I was after and nothing sounds strained like the old one used to.

Even as an Adelaide speaker owner, I still wouldn't drop +1K on something I couldn't demo. I think if I was to upgrade again, I would definately consider keeping in contact with Edward and perhaps waiting till he had something on the go that I wanted to listen to.

I agree with your comments entirely. Unfortunately there are some shops in Brisbane that are the same and do not have all models for audition. They are small organizations that simply do not have the budget or physical floor space to audition ever single model of speaker available. I was recently in the market for some Dynaudio Focus and was told that unless I was looking to buy, there was no way the shop could just order them in for an audition. I was not in a position to spend $3K+ for something without auditioning.

I agree. I was lucky enough to demo a pair of Sumoners and after doing the rounds of some of the retailers in Adelaide, I decided they fitted my budget and performance goals. In hindsight I probably should have exhausted every outlet in Adelaide just to see what else was avalable. I'm happy with the Sumoners cosidering what I paid. Are they perfect? Hell no, but at $1100 at the time nothing else I listened to in that range was acceptable to me.

The sub was a dissapointment however. It just never seemed to have enough grunt or extension for my liking. Having said that, it was a big ask for it to keep up with a 200 WPC power amp running the fronts. I had to wind back the power considerably to get the fronts to try and integrate with that sub. Recently the plate amp died and I returned to AS and it was decided it would be replaced with a bigger amp at around cost price. As I was always intending on running two subs I also oredered a new sub with a degree of hesitation I must admit. The new sub is a newer design with a better driver. I should add that the repaired sub also copped some further tuning to improve it. My hesitation turned to delight when I got them home and plugged them in. The new sub is significantly better than the old one. The repaired sub is also much better, no doubt to its better amp although not quite as efficient as the new design and driver. I now have the extension I was after and nothing sounds strained like the old one used to.

Even as an Adelaide speaker owner, I still wouldn't drop +1K on something I couldn't demo. I think if I was to upgrade again, I would definately consider keeping in contact with Edward and perhaps waiting till he had something on the go that I wanted to listen to.

which model newer sub did you get?

which model newer sub did you get?

Hi yardley,

I got the 1230 ETL. 12 inch Eminence Lab driver with 300 watt amp. Damn thing kicks like a mule and is more musical than my previous 1230 with Peerless XXL and 225 watt amp. Edward mentioned that would probably be the last 4 Eminence Lab drivers he would get as he had poor service from the distributor. He said he would likely be going to an SB Acoustics driver from now on. He may still have an Eminence Lab driver, I don't know.

i still have edwards older 15inch sub and it kicks ass.