Sign in to follow this  
ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

uh-oh, here we go again. It's gonna get awfully hot in here.....:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn:popcorn

Let me put my popcorn in the microwave. LOL

Must be a condition of sale I guess. I am also curious if any of you guys listened to anything else, as there never seems to be any mention of anyone trying anything else or doing actual comparative auditions.

No offense meant to anyone, it's just that I have been around audio for a lot of years and you do become slightly skeptical about the latest speaker sensation which is half the price of the iconic brands and yet supposedly light years better than brands which have sold tens of millions of units worldwide for many decades.

I will shut up now.

Have fun guys and enjoy the music.

I found Adelaide Speakers by googling "DIY". I suspect that others found him the same way. Hence comparisons between other brands was not really on the agenda as I was initially after a "kit". Besides, my front mains cost me less than $1000 delivered and I don't think any retailers would let me home demo speakers in that price range. Shop demo's are not really as much help IMHO due to the nature of the different rooms and equipment.

I'm sure that any comments of "light years ahead" can be taken with a pinch of salt. Perhaps the enthusiasm is due to comparing the same parts in more expensive speakers and wondering where the price difference comes from.

Some may be happy to pay a premium for the manufacturer to spend 6 months fine tuning a speaker to get a small impovement, but that's not the idea with these. You pay for the parts plus a small amount for the design...and that's it.

Bit late. Jealous? :)

Nah, not in the least bit.

Edward and his product have a very valid and valuable place in the Aussie market. I'd much rather see a local business succeed than cheap imports anyday.

A statistical analysis of the number of buyers in this thread will reveal that Edward has actually sold more speakers in the last two years than any other Australian Manufacturer. And all his advertising costs are totally free, unlike the poor bastards who pay thousands of dollars a year in sponsorship of SNA.

Thanks Andrew.

These are indeed words of wisdom and truth and I could not agree more.

Nah, not in the least bit.

Edward and his product have a very valid and valuable place in the Aussie market. I'd much rather see a local business succeed than cheap imports anyday.

A statistical analysis of the number of buyers in this thread will reveal that Edward has actually sold more speakers in the last two years than any other Australian Manufacturer. And all his advertising costs are totally free, unlike the poor bastards who pay thousands of dollars a year in sponsorship of SNA.

I actually haven't heard Edwards speakers at all and have taken a big punt of getting them. I just know that everything else I listened to for $2500 for 5.1 didn't excite me at all, and everyone here was very happy with their purchase. I realise it does seem strange that all these people pop up, but I really think its because it fills a void of people with a fairly low budget, that realise the stuff sold in chains stores isn't up to scratch.

kulprit, it is a punt buying speakers unseen and unheard, and as you say, you have done so on the basis of feedback here. I can assure you that what you ARE getting with Edward's stuff is going to be far better value than buying import at chain stores. You can rest assured on that front.

What is of concern generally is the number of buyers on here who appear magically, rave about their purchase, are for some reason unable or unwilling to post pics in the 'My System' section, and then disappear just as quickly. Strangely these types account for around 75% of posters here. These types of posts have engendered suspicion on any number of occasions.

There are many genuine owners on here including Poita and Mitcon who's views I respect and who have shared their journey with us. On the basis of their views alone I would have no hesitation in recommending Edwards product to those with an appropriate budget.

Rantan alludes to an ongoing strategy here and that was evidenced very recently when this thread died a natural death for a short time as threads normally do. At that point Yardley reactivated another latent Adelaide Speakers Thread in a blatant and obvious arttempt at marketting Edward's product. I am still a little surprised that the Site Owners did not act on that obvious breach of the advertising rules. This thread was reactivated shortly after.

Can I ask you to post some pics up of your new acquisitions in this thread as soon as you take delivery so that subsequent readers can be assured of the veracity of this thread. I would also invite other owners to do the same.

I will now wait patiently for a response from yardley who will magically appear soon.

Can I ask you to post some pics up of your new acquisitions in this thread as soon as you take delivery

A blanket rule as mentioned above for ALL glowing reviews would do a great deal to ease even the most cynical mind.

I will very soon be looking to build some speakers in the $1500 to $2000 range, so obviously Adelaide Speakers will get a look in, but the claim/counterclaim and accusation/rebuttal nature of this thread stops it from being a reliable resource.

There will definately be pics Andrew. The point they will be much better than anything imported at a chain store is what I am counting on. Plus the service I received from Edward was fantastic, the same I'm sure I would get from you if I could afford them.

My review might not be up to par of the others on this site, but there will be pics. I am also the one that revived this thread sorry, as I am quite excited about my first foray into home theatre. Unfortunately after the initial review and updates, i'm sure my visiting rate will slow up. While I am currently very interested in all that is speakers, I'm not planning on it becoming my hobby (nor can I afford if it did). :)

Rang Edward this afternoon and was shipping them this arvo, so thinking delivery next Thursday.

Excellent news kulprit, and no apology needed on your part at all. This site always has and always will support genuine members. Do not feel obliged to provide a 'review' if it is outside your comfort zone, simple pics and a 'wow I'm happy' will go a long way.

Its a shame many other's have not taken the simple step of actively contributing to SNA. You will find this place full of useful help (mixed in with the occasional load of crap!)

Its interesting isn't it, to note how effective this thread has been in terms of securing your business.

Edited by Aslan

aslan whats your problem? thanks for saying that edward has outsold other australian speaker manufacturers. im gonna ring him tomorrow for more commission. its only fair that i get paid more...lol lol

why dont you go and look after your own backyard and leave us adelaide speaker owners alone. just go too another channel

aslan whats your problem? thanks for saying that edward has outsold other australian speaker manufacturers. im gonna ring him tomorrow for more commission. its only fair that i get paid more...lol lol

why dont you go and look after your own backyard and leave us adelaide speaker owners alone. just go too another channel

Gee, your late mate, I was expecting you an hour ago.................lol.

Yep, you definitely need a pay rise.........................Top 40 thread for 109 weeks in a row now.....................even The Beatles didn't ever manage that.

Funny how you suddenly turn up out of nowhere every time one of the new punters gets a question or two thrown at them.

If I wasn't a cynic, I'd find it mildly amusing.

G'day,

Without intentionally wishing to ignite any further controversy, but knowing my comments may do so, I wish to put forward my unbias observations on this thread.

For my own curiosity, I have just spent the last hour wading through all 43 odd pages of this thread, and whilst it is fair to say there are some genuine posters in the thread, I must agree with the assertion made that there would appear to be a fair number of dodgy postings in this thread as well.

It does indeed look mighty suspicious that an awful lot of very new members post glowing praise about their purchase of Adelaide speakers, only to dissapear from the forum and never been seen again.

Yep, for my 2 cents worth, got to agree with those cynical of this thread , the glowing praise and then dissapearing act is all too convenient, and reeks of surreptitious veiled promotional advertizing to me.

Im not casting dispersions on the product, but I am casting dispertions on the many convenient glowing postings in the thread. I also agree thats its most unfair to other SNA Sponsers who contibute to the forum with both their sponsership and their input.

Most of us are here because we are passionate about our hifi and our music.

And so to me, if it is in fact true, its really very dissapointing to see something like this going on. It undermines the intregity of an otherwise great forum.

adrocks

Edited by adrocks
typo

G'day,

Without intentionally wishing to ignite any further controversy, but knowing my comments may do so, I wish to put forward my unbias observations on this thread.

For my own curiosity, I have just spent the last hour wading through all 43 odd pages of this thread, and whilst it is fair to say there are some genuine posters in the thread, I must agree with the assertion made that there would appear to be a fair number of dodgy postings in this thread as well.

It does indeed look mighty suspicious that an awful lot of very new members post glowing praise about their purchase of Adelaide speakers, only to dissapear from the forum and never been seen again.

Yep, for my 2 cents worth, got to agree with those cynical of this thread , the glowing praise and then dissapearing act is all too convenient, and reeks of surreptitious veiled promotional advertizing to me.

Im not casting dispersions on the product, but I am casting dispertions on the many convenient glowing postings in the thread. I also agree thats its most unfair to other SNA Sponsers who contibute to the forum with both their sponsership and their input.

Most of us are here because we are passionate about our hifi and our music.

And so to me, if it is in fact true, its really very dissapointing to see something like this going on. It undermines the intregity of an otherwise great forum.

adrocks

Adrocks, you have expressed a view that is shared by the vast majority of Forum Members and Sponsors.

EDIT, I might add that if it is proven that this is the case, It is a most unfortunate situation for Poita and Mitcon who are very obviously not only top blokes, but genuinely love Edwards work as they should.

Edited by Aslan

Very astute observation adrocks. i am in total agreement with you and I don't like this forum being used as unpaid advertising

Some people also have a life and don't spend all their time on forums. Have you guys considered that? The whole point of a forum is for people to find information about certain interest. So some may join in post a few things, get the answers and then move on.

I joined a woodworking forum recently just to get some info about some Bosch powertools, once I purchased the tools, I posted a quick review of the tool, thanked the guys for their recomendations and will probably not post on the forums again. Does that make me an agent for Bosch?

I think some of you guys are thinking way too much into this thread, and to suggest that Edward is paying people to come and post in here is laughable.

you know what? [to the conspiracy theorists]

it works the other way too..

i am one of these very occasional posters, i came across adelaide speakers through mitcon on the DTV forums..

i also found SNA through his recommendations and joined up, and have enjoyed reading and learning from most the regulars on here.

i don't post much as i don't have a lot to add so far, being new to acquiring sonic goods, and most questions i have had have been answered in the past or in ongoing threads.

at the time i joined i was interested in edwards speakers, but since then i got a very good deal on some entry level speakers from the local truscotts which closed about a week after i picked them up.

my point is, the behaviour from people in this thread praising edward's work is a lot more civil and respectful than those that have have denigrated and cast aspersions.

ok, so you think there are people posting unpaid advertising on here.. maybe there are..

but if i had bought adelaide speakers and then posted on here about it, i would be considered one of these shills..

for doing nothing but posting on an aussie forum about aussie speakers.

i know i am not important in the scheme of things here, but honestly, it's starting to turn me off participating more here.

i do not think i am the only one.

i had never heard of Aslan before coming here, but it's now on the list of makers to consider when the time comes to upgrade..

if it hadn't have been for edward and his backyard shed, i would not even know that you existed.

Edited by tangent23

Hi tangent, on the contrary you ARE important in the scheme of things. ALL members here need to be assured that the information they are getting is accurate and truthful. As simple as that really.

It was suggested by someone earlier that all glowing reviews must be accompanied by a picture of the purchase. I think this is an ingeniously simple solution.

Edited by Aslan

Marketing/advertising, R&D, frieght, import duty and retail profit margins all add up and probly equal at least half of a speakers dollar value at a shop.I dont see a big mystery as why these speakers are good value Edward either eliminates these factors or does them himself.

I was looking for entry level floor standers and listened to jamo, wharfedale, dali, jbl, mordant_short and tannoys in the $800-$1500 range at the shops and found his acsension summoner 863's better.Tough a spartan and ultilitarian desein his have wood venners and a choice of finishes where the others had vynel coverings and cheap looking plastic baffels.

True audiophile hi-fi?Maybe not but way better than competition at that price point.And hand made in australia using daneish drivers not in a chinese sweet shop by children.

Aslan, i understand the reasons why it is put forward as a solution..

i'm just asking people to consider what it might feel like on the other side as a new legitimate member..

i also feel compelled to post as at the time i was researching speakers, i recommended edward to my friend who needed a speaker of his repaired [a dali, he also owns vafs btw] and from his reports of what edward was like, it sounded extremely unlikely that he would pay someone to post on here as has already been said previously by people who have met him.

however, anything is possible of course..

The fact that some people might have posted very genuinely on this thread in favor of Ascension Speakers does not change the fact that this is a very unusual thread overall - for reasons that have been adequately covered by others.

The sheer volume of new posters who describe their purchase, wax lyrical about the product and disappear forms a pattern that can't be ignored. I guess most of us have sufficiently inquiring minds that we are compelled to ask "Why is it so?"

I see nothing intrinsically evil in asking a valid question.

Cheers

Tony

Sorry gents, I am closing this thread to investigate a few leads which have been sent through. It will be reopened soon enough. In the meantime, if anyone has anything to say, send me a PM.

We have finished looking at this thread and another thread for discussion has been posted here.

Looking around for some high sensitivity speakers I had a visit to adelaidespeakers.com

they seem to have some (newish, i think) models which look very interesting.

The first that caught my eye was the 'valve' series, high efficiency line of speakers, which are all around 96db efficient.

http://www.adelaides....com/valve.html

The second was the flagship- the Transcender, which certainly has the looks of an ultra high end speaker.

http://www.adelaides...orstanders.html

I have looked at these speakers a few times, but only recently noticed these new additions.

ALl the speakers seem to be very reasonably priced...

So has anybody listened to them or bought a pair?

Edited by heman_