Sign in to follow this  
ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Thanks NGM, Rang Edward yesterday and stuck with the charcoal black. The stain he uses for it is 3/4 black, 1/4 walnut. Sounds like it will be pretty nice. Hope this helps some other people too. Just going out to buy speaker wire today, either jaycar or bunnings, whichever is cheaper or better, not sure.

Cool, the Charcoal is still nice, a lot of people wouldn't even realise the difference until you pointed it out.

Also, there's a few guys here from Brisbane, so I'm sure if you wanted a demo you would have no problems. Alternatively, your more than welcome to have a listen to mine and also see the colour for yourself as well if you want a drive to the Gold Coast. Just PM me.

Cheers

EDIT: You could even bring your own amp with you if you want a more accurate audition.

Cheers again.

Edited by NGM

Thanks for the offer NGM, but have ordered them now so don't need to hear them til mine get here.

Last thing to buy is speaker wire which I think I will now get from Selby. And a sub cable. Do I need the sub cable that outputs to a y splitter so I can input to both sub inputs. This was my plan to buy. My rears will need about 9m of cable each.

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=84104&i=246734282

http://www.selbyacoustics.com.au/StoreFrontProfiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=74520&c=84104&i=200288216

Welcome kulprit. You don't need a splitter for your sub, well I dont use one but I don't mind being corrected. I've had mine for about 9 months and still happy (can't say the same for my neighbours) They got a serious workout last night hehehe.

My package looks similar to yours. I have the kevlar mids (not the most handsome driver) accross the front three speakers and the upgrade tweeter (not ribbon). I am very happy with the performance of the tweters.

A question to ponder guys. Last night while giving my system a seriously loud beer fueled workout I thought about this. Hope I can explain it.

My front mains are rated at 160 watts and I assume that would be at full range considering that the woofer is designed to take most of the brunt and the mid/tweeter is protected somewhat by the crossover. Last night I had the sub on and crossover set at 80Hz and a few times watched the amp pumping out 170 - 180 watts (yes my power amp has digital read outs of power output). So considering it was not using any power to amplify under 80Hz this would effectively be overpowering the poor mid/tweeter.

To take it to the extreme, imagine sending 150watts of >10000Hz only and surely the tweeter would die. Something for you guys to think about any way. Interested to hear your comments.

Of course I reduced the volume back to a steady 50 - 100 watts and have checked them over since and happy to report no damage.

Do you not like the look of the kevlar mids? I though they might be nice but edward also offered me the new carbon fibre drivers, has anyone heard these?

Still interested in the speaker and subwoofer cable on the previous page as well guys. Sorry I can't help with your question 68premier.

Do you not like the look of the kevlar mids? I though they might be nice but edward also offered me the new carbon fibre drivers, has anyone heard these?

Still interested in the speaker and subwoofer cable on the previous page as well guys. Sorry I can't help with your question 68premier.

I don't mind the colour and look of the cone itself but the frame or bit that is screwed to the cabinet looks a bit tacky in my opinion. The larger 6" ? version looks fine. If you look at pics on his site you will see the smaller version has four bits sticking out where the mounting screws are. It probably stands out more on mine as I have a natural finish on mine. It may not be so noticable on a black or darker cabinet. Of course I have the grills on 99% of the time so no biggie really.

Have not heard the carbon fibre drivers.

I don't think you would have a problem 68 with the speakers. you would have more problems if you were trying to play loud music with an underrated power figure. If you can I would run the sub from about 40-50hz instead of the 80hz you have it set on now, for music in stereo, and go back to 80hz for movies

I don't think you would have a problem 68 with the speakers. you would have more problems if you were trying to play loud music with an underrated power figure. If you can I would run the sub from about 40-50hz instead of the 80hz you have it set on now, for music in stereo, and go back to 80hz for movies

Cheers Grumpy. I used to often adjust the sub setting as you said, just got lazy lately, will endeavour to do it more in the future. I was mainly playing DVD concerts the other night and trying to recreate that live sound level lol. What setting would you recomend here? I don't want to cross over the rears and centre at > 80hz.

hi visited the adelaide speakers site and the info there was contrary to what I had been told at my local hi fi store. I have a yamaha rx-v661 7.1 channel 90w/ channel. I was running a 120w subwoofer that just didnt seem to cut it. The room the system is set up in is 10m*5m. I was told I need at least 500w subwoofer for a room that size possibly up to 1500w. looking at the site the recomended for 100w system or less is a 225w rms Subwoofer 1022VTL . should I be looking at this or the 400wrms Subwoofer 1540ETL The subwoofers i was being shown in the local hifi were a bowers and wilkons 400?500?wrms. a jl audio fathomf110 900wrms peak. How do the acsension speakers compare. Im a novice and just want a good sounding sytem. Any thoughts swould be appreciated. john

The thing you have to be careful with when buying a sub, is that you have to keep it in proportion to the rest of your system. Otherwise the original balance between the low frequencies and the mid/high range is completely lost. You end up with a very boomy result with a lot of bass which is overpowering.

I am not an expert, but I would have thought matching it to the rest of your system was the main criteria. If your whole system is not big enough for the room, that's another problem altogether.

Hmm, any chance of a photo davewantsmoore?

If I am sufficiently harassed I might bust out the camera one night this week.

Mine are essentially identical to Lamtran's speakers from back in the august-ish section of the thread. (Peerless nomex 8", Tangband kevlar, Fountek Neo3 ribbon)

I don't mind the colour and look of the cone itself but the frame or bit that is screwed to the cabinet looks a bit tacky in my opinion.

Agree. The TangBand kevlar 4inch drivers frame looks a bit yuk. I have full black speakers, and it still stands out to me. It's bit of a conundrum really, as I like to have the grills off.

That being said, I'm quite happy with the sound of the tangband kevlar 4" in it's sealed box -> and that's what matters most. Obviously I've not heard the other options, but I'm pretty happy I went with what I did.

Cheers Grumpy. I used to often adjust the sub setting as you said, just got lazy lately, will endeavour to do it more in the future. I was mainly playing DVD concerts the other night and trying to recreate that live sound level lol. What setting would you recomend here? I don't want to cross over the rears and centre at > 80hz.

Does your AVR have adjustable cross over frequencies for each speaker? Can it also do a crossover from mains (LR) to sub, and a seperate setting for LFE crossover... If it does, then you would be able to configure all the crossovers in the AVR, and then just set the crossover on the sub to it's highest point.

... or you could also employ an active crossover. Have a search for a great thread (inc zawesome pics) from Dritz called "integrating subs for HT and music"

Edited by davewantsmoore

thanks poita, I hope the sytems is big enough it was recomended for this size room when i purchased it.

Edward rang yesterday and said my speakers were almost ready. Am all paid up now and hopefully expecting them next Tuesday. Have cut all my wire and done the banana plugs. Very exciting.

Well, i must say following on from my original impressions of these speakers, they have really started to shine over time, as well as with addition of a dedicated CD player. Whilst im not 100% happy with their location, its the best i can do under the circumstances, and they sound excellent at lower volumes which is where they are played 99.9% of the time. I look forward to getting into a new house and really giving these a workout.

First time poster, been lurking for about a month doing research on subwoofers... but pretty much a complete newbie to this 'world'!

Anyway, like kulprit, I'm waiting on a delivery from Edward. Unlike kulprit, I am only waiting for 1 speaker - subwoofer 1022RTL... would have loved to have gotten the 1222VHTL but it would have been $200 more which completely blows my budget. Someday, I look forward to upgrading my whole set (see below)

I have a few questions if someone wouldn't mind enlightening me on:

How much difference would I hear between the 1022RTL (500h x 300w x 400d; 40L volume; 10" driver; 225WRMS; freq resp. 25Hz -->?; simple transmission line), the 1222VHTL (or similar) and my current Mission MV-AS sub (20L volume; 10" driver; 100W; 38-120Hz; reflex)?

Is moving from my Mission sub to the 1022RTL much of an upgrade?

What could i do to improve my setup (in stages)?

Just a bit about my current setup...

I'm 50:50 with HT and music use, though I'm more interested in the HT experience.

AVR: Denon 590

Speakers: KEF KHT 2005.2 (5 sattelite speakers)

Sub: Mission MV-AS changing to 1022RTL

Room size: 4.5m x 3.0m x 3.0m (LxWxH) with one wide door sized opening

Thanks for any help that you could offer a real beginner!

Edited by benandfaith
Added last line!

took the plunge, Edward said mine would be ready in 2 weeks, Hopefully i wont be disappointed

First post-Yah me!Ive been lurking on this site for a while and yesterday I ordered a pair of Timberwolf 6652SRTL with sb acoustics carbon fiber woofers and sb dome tweeters in walnut finish $1145,The only ones I auditioned at Edwards were the summoner 863's I didnt want to colour my expectations by listining to the higher end models.The summoners sounded fantastic to my fairly untrained ears, for that sort of money I could only really get either Dali concecpt 10's wharfedale diamonds or tannoys all of which I found some sort of problem with.The summoners sounded as good to me as my friends $3000+ klipcsh's.

Ive only got an Onkyo 80 watt per channel reciever which I think does 130 watt in 2 channel stereo bypass mode is this suffenient for moderate to almost loud listening?

3 weeks away Grrrrrrrr....

It is great that so many first time posters come on here and tell us about Adelaide speakers and I hope you all have lots of enjoyment from them.

Must be a condition of sale I guess. I am also curious if any of you guys listened to anything else, as there never seems to be any mention of anyone trying anything else or doing actual comparative auditions.

No offense meant to anyone, it's just that I have been around audio for a lot of years and you do become slightly skeptical about the latest speaker sensation which is half the price of the iconic brands and yet supposedly light years better than brands which have sold tens of millions of units worldwide for many decades.

I will shut up now.

Have fun guys and enjoy the music.

Edited by rantan

Guest VladimirFreddie
It is great that so many first time posters come on here and tell us about Adelaide speakers and I hope you all have lots of enjoyment from them.

Must be a condition of sale I guess. I am also curious if any of you guys listened to anything else, as there never seems to be any mention of anyone trying anything else or doing actual comparative auditions.

No offense meant to anyone, it's just that I have been around audio for a lot of years and you do become slightly skeptical about the latest speaker sensation which is half the price of the iconic brands and yet supposedly light years better than brands which have sold tens of millions of units worldwide for many decades.

I will shut up now.

+1

You must be a mind reader Rantan! Your post is pretty much what I've been thinking for a couple months since joining this forum :)

Cheers

Thanks VF, it is nice to know it isn't only me.

Cheers.

+1

You must be a mind reader Rantan! Your post is pretty much what I've been thinking for a couple months since joining this forum :)

Cheers

I will shut up now.

I will shut up too.

slightly skeptical about the latest speaker sensation which is half the price of the iconic brands and yet supposedly light years better than brands which have sold tens of millions of units worldwide for many decades.

I will shut up now.

I think we need to keep in context what these speakers actually are.

They're non-fancy, simple cabinets.... with mid level / good value drivers .... chosen becuase the guy knows how to work with them.... put together by a fairly experienced guy.

For example. My summoner 863 have about 500 bucks worth of peerless woofer, fountek ribbon and dirt cheap tangband sealedbox mid.... the cabinets would have cost all of a few hundred to have built... and the speakers cost me 1300.

For that level of cost, and price breakdown, I think they are excellent value for someone who wants good sound for relatively little money. I honestly think that comparing these to anything else availble at retail is no contest... The only way to better these speakers, is DIY -> which honestly is practically what these are. Edward makes them in his back shed.

You may be right ... most in here haven't auditioned their Adeliade-Speakers against thousands of dollars worth of retail products .... or probably even ever HEARD speakers that cost many thousands of dollars more than once or twice if at all..... but what do you expect from the mid-fi crowd?

For what they are.... These speakers are trully excellent.

G'day,

I am also curious if any of you guys listened to anything else, as there never seems to be any mention of anyone trying anything else or doing actual comparative auditions.

The post immediately above yours (and the one I assume you are responding to) mentioned the owner's comparisons vis-à-vis other speakers. So there ya go ... conspiracy averted.

--Geoff

Geoff.

I did read that post but my point was and remains that in this extensive thread there is very little mention by people of what or if they have compared to Adelaide Speakers and just sometimes the hyperbole is a little bit too much in evidence,so my post was actually directed at the thread and its contents and not one post in particular.

I also made sure to frame my remarks in a civil manner and did not make my comments personal in nature.

However, based on some things I have discovered, I have certain concerns about certain practices.

Not a conspiracy at all, more of a concern that this forum should be used in the proper manner .

I am sure you would agree that SNA would remain as a resource for audio enthusiasts and not as a vehicle for those seeking promotion.

Cheers.

G'day,

The post immediately above yours (and the one I assume you are responding to) mentioned the owner's comparisons vis-à-vis other speakers. So there ya go ... conspiracy averted.

--Geoff