Sign in to follow this  
ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Thanks for the post Aslan. Just another quick one, would those guidelines apply to transmission line speakers?
Ported/sealed/transmission line/dipole/etc. doesn't matter.

Some may be more flexible than others but anything short of an array with beam-steering capabilities, then placement is crucial for achieving the best sound, even then you can't just slap them absolutely anywhere.

This thread has become dull. Seems like yesterday when we had the fanboys versus the world,locked in mortal combat with flame throwers and grenades everywhere.

This thread has become dull. Seems like yesterday when we had the fanboys versus the world,locked in mortal combat with flame throwers and grenades everywhere.

Just mention the crows, Vic's or The East vs the West of Adelaide and it might start again!!:party

Only kiddin', it's Friday

Dont lie, your really just using the lull in battle to reload your nade laucher

Thanks guys for the welcoming comments. Interesting discussions...

I particularly agree with Dazz that one of Edwards’ other very admirable attributes is how he can tailor his speaker designs individually for his customers.

tb123, Bear72, Keith W, I’ve started a thread on hi-fi and CD reviewing which I hope will be of interest… ;)

Astrolug

Just looking on the AS site, I see he has the 15" sub listed again. Looks a mean mutha, 1540ETL.

I tried ringing but no reply-Saturday arvo.

I know a few here said it wasn't being made anymore, does anyone know if this is right, is it available, as it's re listed on his new site.

http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/subwoofers.html

I spoke with Edward last week and he said the 15" is now available again. I originally wanted the 1540ETL, but it was unavailable. I ended up going with a 21045prtl with the upgraded XXLS drivers and 400w amp and am very impressed so far.

is it just me or has there been a substantial price increase for Ascension Stuff?

The old website wasn't up to date and most of the prices were around 10% more than what was stated on the website.

as mentioned, the old site was out of date and most prices had increased form what was showing.

Not only that, but he is also using (as an option) higher quality drivers if required/ requested which also cost more.

Not sure about the subwoofer NGM, the picture still shows the old one. maybe he found a new source for 15" drivers? Try calling him and let us know what he says. It's something i wouldnt mind looking at down the track, or something like Mitcons.

I spoke with Edward last week and he said the 15" is now available again. I originally wanted the 1540ETL, but it was unavailable. I ended up going with a 21045prtl with the upgraded XXLS drivers and 400w amp and am very impressed so far.

Got any Pics?

What would you compare it to that you have heard?

Edited by tb123
added a bit

Thanx for that, I was going to ring again today bet ran out of time.

Like TB said, how about some pics of that bad boy. 400 watt amp, must have a reasonable amount of zing, still friends with the neighbours?? :)

I'll have a chat to him Tim & let you know, cheers

Will take some pics tomorrow. Haven't had much time to listen but will compare it to my Rythmik DS350 this weekend.

And here are a few more with the 8883prmtl fronts and 452prm center speaker:

looks good weeman!

So what did they replace, what are you driving them with and what do you think about them all?

Unfortunately I don't get to keep them as they are for my Dad's new home theater which I am setting up.

I was previously running Aaron ATS-5 front speakers and the 8883's blow them away, I absolutely love the ribbon tweeters. The speakers are being driven by an Emotiva XPA-5 power amp.

Damn wish my Dad would give me a cheque book to make him a system :) Looks nice!

I have just bought speakers from the Timberwolf range. They have a brilliant sound in both top and bottom registers. I have had speakers since 1960 and these are by far the best I have ever heard. I can listen to my old CD's and hear sounds that were not there before. The service was great too. You deal directly with the man who designs and builds the product, not a suit on a commission.

Marshall

Hi Marshall 2000 and welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here.

It seems we get many new members who are new buyers of speakers from Ascension and it is pleasing to know that the product line is popular with new members who feel enthused enought to come here and tell us of their new found joy.

Perhaps we all need to get our heads out of the sand and buy Ascensions, but I guess that old habits of buying and listening to internationally regarded speakers is far too narrow a vision

It's great that you get such enjoyment from the Adelaide Speakers and I hope you enjoy all aspects of the forum. We all know that speakers are just one link in the audio chain and probably the most subjective.

I hope to see your posts in the amplifier and two channel section as well. There are may great thoughts and ideas there.

Have fun.

Rantan

I have just bought speakers from the Timberwolf range. They have a brilliant sound in both top and bottom registers. I have had speakers since 1960 and these are by far the best I have ever heard. I can listen to my old CD's and hear sounds that were not there before. The service was great too. You deal directly with the man who designs and builds the product, not a suit on a commission.

Marshall

Edited by rantan

Marshall

Welcome! Good to see another pleased purchaser!

Just note though, not everyone that sells audio gear is dressed in a suit and gets commission :( There are a number of sponsers on here who actually like what they do and are not just in it to screw everyone over with massive markups! :)

I have been thinking of replacing my speakers which are now 10 years old with some new ones and I have read a fair bit of this thread in the last day. I have to say I am really confused about these speakers, some love 'em and some loathe 'em.

Had a look at the website but found it crowded and not logical to navigate. Is there any way of actually listening to these speakers at my place or is it only made to order?

Makes things difficult if this isn't available.

Does this dude have a showroom of any kind?

To everyone here who has bought these and posted good stuff about them, how did you get to hear them first or did you just take pot luck?

Seems a bit risky, especially since speakers are the most personal and subjective part of buying audio stuff.

Don't get me wrong, cos it would be great if something local was great sound and great value and I think it's good to support Aussie manufacturers.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks guys.