Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Yeah and he actually charged less than the base model because there was a bit less material required. I can't speak highly enough of my experience with Edward. By the way I have no association with Adelaide Speakers at all, just one very happy customer.

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just recieved my 1093AQTL's from Adelaide Speakers,Love them.I spoke to many of the hifi dealers,tried to buy handmade local (Melbourne) ,tried to buy used (weird times there,like sellers not wantin

Got Edward to make me some 4ohm, 8" version of the Sentinel with Tassie Blackwood Veneer.   Matches the Blackwood TV unit I found on Facebook Marketplace today quite well I'd say!  

'Just arrived' 2 weeks ago my new  Ascension M853 SQ (Custom Order) Extra Large 650 x300x400 Standmounts. 28kg!.. Inspired by the Harbeth HL5  only 15 kg ($7500  and Spendor 1/2 which were beyond

Ok, so mostly everyone on this thread have had experience with Edward's speakers and many love it (my self included). However, I have never heard his subwoofer being mentioned. 

Are Edward's subwoofers also good? has anyone had any experience with it? Are they active or passive? and if active, what amp is being used?

28 minutes ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Ok, so mostly everyone on this thread have had experience with Edward's speakers and many love it (my self included). However, I have never heard his subwoofer being mentioned. 

Are Edward's subwoofers also good? has anyone had any experience with it? Are they active or passive? and if active, what amp is being used?

I am using Edwards 3.2 Speaker front stage for last 8 years and I am happy with the sound. Subwoofers are 1230 ETL I think using Eminence Lab 12 inch drivers. Not sure which Amp . Anyway These 2 Subs go down low. I had an Anthem Receiver and when using ARC and neasuring these were flat down to 19 hz If I remember. Hope that helps.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

I am using Edwards 3.2 Speaker front stage for last 8 years and I am happy with the sound. Subwoofers are 1230 ETL I think using Eminence Lab 12 inch drivers. Not sure which Amp . Anyway These 2 Subs go down low. I had an Anthem Receiver and when using ARC and neasuring these were flat down to 19 hz If I remember. Hope that helps.

Cheers

20200913_171139_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gillmaverick said:

Cheers

Hey Thanks for that. I am also using Edwards Summoner for front stage and matching centre and mine is also being driven with Anthem receiver and Anthem Power amps and happy with it. My current sub isn't that big and I have been looking to get a bit of oomph at low frequencies.

Question, since there are no photos of the back of the sub on his site, I couldn't really tell what sort of connectors are available on them. i.e, line level or speaker level connections. Any insight on them?

1 minute ago, :) Go Away (: said:

Hey Thanks for that. I am also using Edwards Summoner for front stage and matching centre and mine is also being driven with Anthem receiver and Anthem Power amps and happy with it. My current sub isn't that big and I have been looking to get a bit of oomph at low frequencies.

Question, since there are no photos of the back of the sub on his site, I couldn't really tell what sort of connectors are available on them. i.e, line level or speaker level connections. Any insight on them?

I had a look and Amp has both Speaker level and line level inputs. Edwards keeps changing amps though So He might not be using the same Amp. Have a chat with him and He will tell you which one he prefers to use these days. 

I had a look and Amp has both Speaker level and line level inputs. Edwards keeps changing amps though So He might not be using the same Amp. Have a chat with him and He will tell you which one he prefers to use these days. 

OK, Thanks for your help. :)

I will have a chat with Edward about the subs.

Also Subs are about 30 kilo each. I nearly broke me back setting these up.

• 1 month later...

Well, been playing around with my Blackwood Ascension M853SQ from Edward. Got to say, it's quite good. I have demo'd a few bookshelves in the form of the Fyne 501, the Acoustic Energy AE500, Focal Arias and a few Bowers and Wilkins. From my experience, it prefer it to all of them except in terms of weight and perhaps treble extension in terms of the B&W but that was the high end model. I would really like to compare this M853SQ with the Wharfdale Linton one day~!

8 minutes ago, Suopermanni said:

Well, been playing around with my Blackwood Ascension M853SQ from Edward. Got to say, it's quite good. I have demo'd a few bookshelves in the form of the Fyne 501, the Acoustic Energy AE500, Focal Arias and a few Bowers and Wilkins. From my experience, it prefer it to all of them except in terms of weight and perhaps treble extension in terms of the B&W but that was the high end model. I would really like to compare this M853SQ with the Wharfdale Linton one day~!

Can we get a few photos @Suopermanni please? What height stands are you using?

Cheers,

Andrew

On 09/11/2020 at 9:59 AM, Suopermanni said:

I Compared my 853s to the Linton. Very different. Lintons are very vintage in tone. More veiled too. Much prefer my 853s.. Mine were photographed and on their website. I just bought some Goldmund Replica Telos 200 (200w) Monoblocks.. OUTSTANDING

IMG_20201123_133811.jpg

IMG_20201123_195916.jpg

IMG_20201123_195928.jpg

IMG_20201123_200316.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, bryansamui said:

I Compared my 853s to the Linton. Very different. Lintons are very vintage in tone. More veiled too. Much prefer my 853s.. Mine were photographed and on their website. I just bought some Goldmund Replica Telos 200 (200w) Monoblocks.. OUTSTANDING

Thanks for the impressions, bryansamui! It helps cut down on the olde ''must try'syndrome.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried Edward's subwoofers in a 2.1 system? I have currently got a Topping D90 dac attached via xlr to a topping a90 headphone amp/pre amp attached via xlr to a March Audio Hypex P252 amp with speaker cables going out to the M853SQs.

How would I integrate a sub in there? Does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, currently own a pair of 8" 3 way Ascension floor standers Model 863 PSRTL which I'm very happy with but need to scratch an itch and want to upgrade to the equivalent 12" version. Has anyone out there already been down this path, if so was it worth the $'s and effort ? Using a SVS 10" PB sub in conjunction with them but think the bigger drivers would give a more complete sound overall, thoughts please

Hi all, I have enjoyed Ascension speakers for just over 10 years now running them with a Marantz SR7002 AV receiver.

The receiver is now stopped working! Just curious what brand of amp/receiver you guys are running your speakers with for an idea of the kind of sound you are achieving!

I like a detailed and warm sound, which I achieved with my combo of Marantz and Ascension.

Edward created passive Monitor type speakers (flat response) for me - running LR and centre at this stage.

4 hours ago, Bugs said:

Hi everyone, currently own a pair of 8" 3 way Ascension floor standers Model 863 PSRTL which I'm very happy with but need to scratch an itch and want to upgrade to the equivalent 12" version. Has anyone out there already been down this path, if so was it worth the $'s and effort ? Using a SVS 10" PB sub in conjunction with them but think the bigger drivers would give a more complete sound overall, thoughts please

Hi, I have a pair of 863's and also custom 1293's. They are in separate rooms and the 863's are mostly for home theatre along with a custom centre from Edward. The 1293 are two channel in a large room 5.5m x 12m roughly and sound amazing. I've never found a need to turn on my sub with these. You will definitely get more bass from the bigger woofer but it's also going to be relative to your room. I am more than happy with the bass from the 863 in the ht setup but it's also a smaller room and i run two subs for movies but normal tv viewing the subs don't come on. I have the fronts set to large so they do most of the bass duties. Hope that answers part of your question. Good luck with whichever way you roll.

54 minutes ago, ronlife said:

Hi all, I have enjoyed Ascension speakers for just over 10 years now running them with a Marantz SR7002 AV receiver.

The receiver is now stopped working! Just curious what brand of amp/receiver you guys are running your speakers with for an idea of the kind of sound you are achieving!

I like a detailed and warm sound, which I achieved with my combo of Marantz and Ascension.

Edward created passive Monitor type speakers (flat response) for me - running LR and centre at this stage.

I run all tube gear with my 1293's and they sound amazing. Preamp is a bat 30vk into a rogue audio amp modified by Dallas Clarke and using kt120 output tubes for about 100w/channel.  Very nice sound. I play mostly vinyl but also a bit of streaming and silver discs. 

• Like 1

i asked Edward to design a 12" speaker in mind that i would be purchasing a tube amp in the future

this is temporary location only for the speakers 

"I still have to choose a suitable punchy 12" driver (probably one of the new pro SB Audience 12", modified), but the tweeter would be an SB Acoustics neodymium magnet 29mm ring radiator (superb), 6" mid a SB Acoustics, too, impedance 8 ohms, efficiency around 95dB (1W/1M), power up to 200wrms, cabinet 1220h x 400w x 310d" 

PXL_20201227_091106476_2.jpg

• Like 2