ratherB@thesnow

Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Not long now Rb@tS. What state are you in?

If my memory serves me correct Rob is from WA are you not good sir?

I finally made it across to my neighbourse and had a listen to his speakers that edward buil for him. I have forgottent the name of the moel already but they where a two way two sub/1tweeter (think it started with an i) tower.

They were very well constructed solid timber cabinets, excleent build qualith and finish front ported - a very large port interstetingly.

They are quite a few years old and purchased when edward was still making cabinets himself - i underatdn he gets the cabinets put togehetr by somebody elset these days but doesa the speaker assembly - etc.

They sounded pretty good given they only cost $440.

Nice top end, tweeters looked great - ie nice simple flat design - don't know what you call them but what you tend to seeonh top end gear -

Bass was missing a little but where built to go with a sperate sub woofer which was not hooked up so perhaps part of the overall design. Have to say when I say the bass was missing a little they still had more bass than my Krix - but I suspect the top end was comparable - perhaps the Krix have a little less detail - hard to tell from the short time I had with them in a different room with Loyd webber - phantom playig which I dont have at home.

Look Ihavfe to say I would not have been disspointed to own these speakers fro $440 bucks a pair.

I would certainly suggest locals check out Edwards gear if your looking around - certainly not shabby stuff (at least based on this pair)

My neibour said Edward used to work for VAF as one of the technicians so that migt explain a few things.

It will be good to get a few comments from those geting some new gear (and some pictures to compare)

I think I might ave to try a face off between my Krix and my neighbours when I get around to having a GTG at my place - I think my neighbour will be happy enough to come along and try them out. Might get the Mission Argonaughts over and line them up against my JVC Zero as well.

But we get ahead of ourselves - first the big VAF day is not far off now - should be a great SA GTG.

Well my new speakers arrived last Monday and they are awesome. I am very impressed with the sound from these babies. Even being new to the whole stereo thing I can hear an amazing range of instruments and voices from my old Cd's that I've never heard before. It has open up a whole new world to me.

I've had some help from one of the forum members in setting them up, getting the best sound reproduction for my room.

So far I have only been able to listen to music as it seems I didn't have the DVD/TV/amp correctly configured originally and I'm a cable short (long story) but fingers crossed it will be right to go this weekend and i can test them out with a DVD or two.

I'm really blown away by how good some of my old Cd's sound it really has reinvigorated my want to listen to them. If I knew a bit more about the tech terms I would post something but unfortunately I'm lost there.

mate you just bought the best value speakers in australia.enjoy

Wait t'll your speakers have been used for awhile RB@ and you will find they sound even better.

Strange though that you find all of your CD's sound better now. When I bought new speakers, a lot of my older CD's (60's pop)sounded terrible because the speakers were showing up the poor recording quality.

If you have time, please tell us about your cable problems! We have all had them.:rolleyes:

Well done - post some picture if you are willin too would love to see them set up

Having now heard these new speakers, they certainly do provide excellent value for money. I do think this could well be the begining of your audio journey. Now the fun part, listening!

Cheers Lucky dog on adding some ex[pereinmeced opinion - being susch a newbie myself I was very nervous about adding my own views given I really no very little - but for the price paid they impresed me - I hope the new owner gets to enjoy them and it does start a new adventure for him in all things audio. Given my neighbours speaker i would npot be embarressed tp have them in my lunge room at all - very nicve looking and sounding pair i saw the other night - best of luck

Well, I have had my Summoner 3 way Floor Standers from Edward for over a week and half now and I think I should say something. The problem has been in part, dragging myself away from them! And people suggest they may get better with age! As mentioned above, I am finding listening to my music collection is like they are all new again. The presence of the music and the level of detail surpasses what I have had before and I am frequently amazed. Not that my set up was very bad. Old but I liked the sound from my Luxman L80V and the Kef Concerto Kit my father made so long ago. With a NAD 521 cd player I was happy to enjoy the music rather than worry about the high fidelity. However the amp was beginning to hum and the speakers distort at times (something Edward helped prolong the life of about 4 years ago - this is when I first met him). So now it was time to update, but on a budget.

I think it important to talk about this because if nothing else I have learned, it is that the word "system" is the critical part of "hi-fi-system". The amp I bought is the new NAD 355Bee (80w/ch) which I discovered when the old KEFs were attached, is a crisp clean musical amplifier which by itself gave more life to the music than the aging Luxman was able to. I began to wonder if I really needed new speakers. I needed not worry. I have set the Summoners up along side the Concertos so I can flip fro A to B for comparisons. The Summoners win hands down. They are very dynamic, clear and well detailed with plenty of clean bass for me. The imaging is very good as well. The only area I could possibly say that the Concertos might have an edge is by way of a weakness in that they are in fact less revealing of imperfections in the recordings. For example sibilants are a little more buried in the cluttered sound stage. Perhaps I should mention that Edward and I sat through and later worked through by phone some minor cross-over adjustments to improve some initial high frequency harshness of his new design. The results of our commmunications brought a wonderful naturalness to the vocals and even to finger rasping on strings. This was an entirely rewarding experience. Now when I have any doubts about the sound, I switch back to the Concertos - but not for long because they just don't cut it anymore. One last thing for now, I will mention that I fiind then absolutely NOT fatiguing to listen to. I am looking forward to many hours of listening enjoyment and I will get back in a few weeks to report on progress. I Certainly cant say everyone will find these speakers to their taste but I have noticed my wife and teeanagers have been quietly impressed. Give Edward a call if you can. Regards Paul.

PS: They look quite smart too. Natural american oak with brown "grill" that finishes with a rounded curve about 2/3s down the face

paul once the woofer loosens up these speakers will even sound better. your comment 'NOT fatiguing to listen to ' is spot on.

hopefully today i will receive my 2 sets of bookshelfs and 15inch sub from edward.

happy listening

i received my boofshelves the other day. for the price and build quality these speakers are awesome.

i have been buying speakers many brands since i have left school 30years ago. my journey for my best speakers i have finally found.

ascension speakers from adelaide

yardley

what boofshelves and sub did you get from edward

guessing the boofshelves ported are and sub is T-Line

are you using the Sub with the boofshelves.

any chance of some photos?

Yes cmon guys we need some photos posted of all these recnt purchases

i received my boofshelves the other day. for the price and build quality these speakers are awesome.

i have been buying speakers many brands since i have left school 30years ago. my journey for my best speakers i have finally found.

ascension speakers from adelaide

That's good to hear Yardley; See Not only do we South aussies have a great footy team ( Port Of course), we also do speakers rather well.:mad:

Some pics would be nice.

....Not only do we South aussies have a great footy team ( Port Of course)....

Grumpy,

it's obvious that your cold has got worse, causing delusions and halucinations - seek medical assistance immediatley.

take care buddy!

4hecks

Yes cmon guys we need some photos posted of all these recnt purchases

OK, I have posted some pics of my Summoner floor standers and further remarks in my blog at http://ozpaul-ozblog.blogspot.com/ . Now back to listening! Regards Paul.

They look very nice (square but nice). I'm guessing Peerless mid and woofer, the tweeter looks scarily like a Scanspeak, bonus if it is.

Are they rear ported?

Are they bi-wireable?

Is the tweeter at ear level when sitting down?

Look great - nice photo - glad you areenjoying them

They look very nice (square but nice). I'm guessing Peerless mid and woofer, the tweeter looks scarily like a Scanspeak, bonus if it is.

Are they rear ported?

Are they bi-wireable?

Is the tweeter at ear level when sitting down?

Yep square but quite nice - you pay for curves in speakers so I just asked for curved covers. Actually they do sound noticeably better without the "grills".

I believe they are all Peerless speakers - I actually don't know how good Peerless is as a brand - but Edward seems to do pretty well with them.

They are Transmission Line style with a rectangular port in the lower rear.

I am not interested in bi-wiring. You would have to approach Edward about this if you want it.

The tweeter is slightly below my ear level - but that will depend on your chair!

Back to listening

Paul.

edwards speakers get better with age

The tweeter is a Vifa "supertweeter" without the phase plug...thingy. Vifa are now owned by Peerless I believe.

Vifa, Peerless and Scanspeak are all now owned by the same company.

http://www.tymphany.com/

To some extent Peerless have been positioned as the buget brand of the three now but they all share technology and have drivers of various quality levels.

I really must go in to see Edward. I drive past his street at least a couple of times a week.

ES

The tweeter is a Vifa "supertweeter" without the phase plug...thingy. Vifa are now owned by Peerless I believe.

Yes, its screw hole arrangement does look like the the Vifa but I can't actually see an identical one in the web catalogue...