Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

I started off with mine in a corner but have since moved it out and placed it between the two front speakers and found I get better performance with a bit more punchiness. It sounded a bit droney in the corner and was also quite close to a big window that rattled like crazy. Unfortunately you don't seem to have the option of moving it. I wonder if it's possible to move it to the other end of the room? I've read it can work well there. If I had a long enough cable it is something I would try as I love to try different things.

I ended up mounting my fron R and L speakers on to the wall so that I could move the whole entertainment unit to the far left and placed the SW at the right edge of the unit which makes it about 50cm from the R side wall. Heaps better! Feels more punchy and less droney. I also purchased a 7m long cable and will start to experiment with other placements, like maybe at the back of the room or along a side wall. Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions!

Guest VladimirFreddie

15cm is probably not far enough out, BUT if you are happy with the sound how they are - that's fine! Most of us have to make concessions where we put our speakers :D

Also it may not make too much difference to the bass response if you are using a sub.

So, you may find they sound better further out from the wall but experimenting is the only way you'll find out :)

As a guide I have sealed speakers and they sound best in my room 1 metre out from the front wall!

Cheers

Dave

As a guide I have sealed speakers and they sound best in my room 1 metre out from the front wall!

Wow... that's a long way out! 1m out in my room is to have it 1/4 way into the room! I will keep experimenting and see how I go... thanks for the input!

Guest VladimirFreddie
Wow... that's a long way out! 1m out in my room is to have it 1/4 way into the room! I will keep experimenting and see how I go... thanks for the input!

No problem regarding input :hiccup

I've found that its best after moving the speakers leave them there for a week or so. Sometimes what seems like an improvement isn't after a while!

Cheers

Hi again guys. I have found my speakers have definately improved with time. Plus might have got the setup finally right :) I still find the speech a bit low when using PLII on a 2 channel source, but only sometimes so I can't bump up the centre channel. Overall still very happy with my purchase. I am running a HTPC into my Denon 790 and the most annoying thing is if i wake the HTPC from s3 before turning on the Denon, I get nothing and have to go through a whole restart. Just putting it back to sleep and awake again doesn't fix it.

I have also turned off the HDMI control as even though I want to use the features (plus it also means if i forgot to turn the amp on i'd never have the hdmi connection problems above), the 30W suggested that is uses in standby with this turned on comes out to $45 a year. Seems quite a lot. Anyone got other numbers on how much power it uses in standby with HDMI control on?

• 3 weeks later...
How? short question, but i bet the answer is not.

Don't know how I missed that question!

Attempted short version. You put the sub in the listening position, ideally so the driver is near ear level - bring on the yellow pages! Then put place the mic where you want to put the sub. You need a mic preamp to hook up to a PC with REW installed. $150 for a basic set up with a Behringer mic + preamp. You run a sweep with REW which takes about 10 seconds. Then you move the mic and do it again. Pretty simple really. There are a few more things to do to set up the software and load a calibration file, but it's not that hard. You get results like I've shown in my blog.

http://redspade-audio.blogspot.com/2009/08/multisub-measurements.html

Ooops just realised I only posted the nearfield measurements! Argh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there guys,

Well I've had my speakers now for a couple of months and just thought I'd post some experiences. The speakers have all definitely improved over time. My Timberwolf mains have improved particularly in the bass department. This has created some problem resonances in the room and I'm continuing to experiment with speaker placement.

One strange behavior which I don't quite understand is that the main speakers seemed to have become more efficient. Is this possible? I initially thought that there was some problem with my rear speakers and centre when listening to 5.1 tracks, in that the sound was a bit muted in these channels. I got out my SPL meter and re-calibrated. I found that both my Timberwolves were about 4dB louder compared with reference.

One thing I can recommend to any potential buyer is a power amplifier. I think that was the factor that improved performance the most.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Months later, the itch to upgrade is starting up again! Hahah... will it never end?

Anyway, just wanted to canvas opinions on Adelaide bookshelf and centre speakers vs. the competition (Wharfedale, Usher, Monitor Audio, and the like). Budget would be around $1000-1200 for the 3 speakers (pair of bookshelfs and mains).

Have a small room (4mx2.5m) and definitely no space and WAF for Tower speakers, so bookshelves they'll have to be. Am wanting to replace the "egg" satellites of my KEF2005 (pictures in the first post of this thread). Would a $1000-1200 front/centre setup be worth the upgrade from KEFs?

Hi guys i'm researching Adelaide speakers range have a budget of around $4k any thoughts on these guys? they seem popular and people seem happy with them.

Do you think they are the best way to go, i'm new to this forum and would appreciate your thoughts.

I think you're in the ball-park budget-wise where Edward's products really shine sonically (if not quite so much aesthetically) against the competition.

But how many speakers are you looking to buy with that budget - 2.0, 2.1, 5.1, 7.2? It'll help guide just what that competition is.

Hope... for 4k you are starting to get a few more options from some of Adelaide speakers competition. I like Adelaide speakers and would recommend them, but with the sort of coin you are talking about, there are a number of options, so have a look/listen before you jump into anything.

Thanks for the help, i'm looking at setting up 5.1 system, from what i have read it seems like i can get a customised system from Adelaide speakers to suit my requirements, i'll give some others the time to show what they have to offer as well, maybe Vaf and Krix.....

Well for example my 5.0 system (i.e. no sub) cost $3K so add a sub and you'd be around your budget assuming his prices haven't changed too much.

It is detailed here but thankfully I have a low-line entertainment unit now.

Edit: Oh and the rears are no longer on their sides but upright.

Edited by Oosh

Hope... for 4k you are starting to get a few more options from some of Adelaide speakers competition. I like Adelaide speakers and would recommend them, but with the sort of coin you are talking about, there are a number of options, so have a look/listen before you jump into anything.

^^^ THIS

With 4k, you're starting to have a lot of other options .... With my budget, I've got Edwards Sumoner.... but with 4k, I would probably (?!) have gone elsewhere.

Thanks for the help, i'm looking at setting up 5.1 system

... and now I retract my statement. I thought you were talking about 4k for 2 speakers, not 6 :-)

I am one of the low-posters identified in the AS 'investigation' thread and only write this from being named there.

1) I have had a pair of AS 8893 for over 2 years.

2) I posted on the SNA thread from being interested in the product and wanting to share with others - who have actually heard them.

3) Called it a day when the tags 'mid-fi', 'entry-level', 'newcomer' were consistently being applied to AS owners.

4) I continue to be delighted in the speakers and use them as part of my professional CD reviewing.

Edited by Astrolug
missed a word
  • Like 2

What 'Live' were you listening to. If you mean the group LIVE on CD I can't play that loud because it sounds horrible although I love the contents (Throwing Copper is my favourite of theirs)

seen em live last year live live lol he sounds as good live as on a cd , very pure artist , songs from black mountain is a great album and a favorite of mine now

I am one of the low-posters identified in the AS 'investigation' thread and only write this from being named there.

1) I have had a pair of AS 8893 for over 2 years.

2) I posted on the SNA thread from being interested in the product and wanting to share with others - who have actually heard them.

3) Called it a day when the tags 'mid-fi', 'entry-level', 'newcomer' were consistently being applied to AS owners.

4) I continue to be delighted in the speakers and use them as part of my professional CD reviewing.

Same for me, my first post in months. Still loving the speakers, I have listened to a lot since and other than some minor cosmetic issues, I couldn't be happier, but the constant slagging of the product by those who don't own them and know nothing about them has turned me away from this site.

There are many great people here though, with lots of sound advice-pardon the pun, but for me, the minority has ruined my experience, pity.

Edited by NGM
  • Like 1

im new here but im definitely interested in em and i think ive made my mind up to get them , i just wish i could listen to em first , the one thing selling me i think is everyone loves edward and he sounds like he gives really good personal advice and support which will win me

and no i dont know him lol and im not flogging his product , im simply trying to find a great sound for my price range

oh and someone said the are great sonically but no so asthetically , i think the summoners look great but im 43 and like big ass speakers

Hi guys, I'm a first time poster, and have been reading through the adelaide speakers threads recently with great interest. I think I will probably end up going with a pair of edwards speakers because of the reviews, price and of course an aussie product.

Naturally my biggest trepidation is not being able to audition any, but I think I will take the plunge anyway.

What I wanted was peoples opinions/thoughts on ribbon tweeters. I personally have never heard them before but see that they are all offered as a premium option on edwards speakers if they are not already standard. I tend to have a sensitive ear when it comes to high freq, and wanted to know how bright the ribbons sounded in comparison to a dome tweeter.

Cheers

I'd suggest to any looking at Adelaide Speakers to try and get a listen and a chat to Edward and also listening to any other brand with something in your budget range. It's your money and your ears, we're all different and IMHO theres no right or wrong just what YOU like.

That said no matter what your budget it's worth having a chat to Edward, I've had my speakers a couple of years now and still enjoy them as much as the day I got them. Mine cost me more than what most people aim for but he will cater to your needs and budget as best he can.

As to ribbon tweeters, theres always debates on them and again like all things depends on your taste. They have a good wide disperion (though a very limited horizontal dispersion) and tend to be extremely clear and detailed. Some people love hearing every nuance while others don't, but how they sound will also depend alot on the crossover, amp and everything else in the chain. You can get some extremely good done tweeters which come very close to the detailed sound of a ribbon though as well. Like always, maybe a listen first is a good thing if it's not something your familar with.

Auditioning is always a good thing though it can still be very limiting unless you can listen with your own gear in your own lounge room but at least having a good listen before buying will give you a good idea of the speakers abilities.

does anyone know if they make them in piano black , im more for the jarrah look but the cook wants modern so i have to compromise

does anyone have detailed pics of black floorstanders , not the black woodgrain look , actually if you have any pics at all id love to see them