Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Yeah, sure, Andy....love to drop round and have a listen, but my opinion is of very limited value to anyone else. :cool:

I have to admit I came across this outfit a couple of years ago when I was trying to track down another speaker repairer in that neck of the woods (Marion) who had done some work on my old Wharfedales a few years before that.

He didn't suggest an audition of the Assention speakers and I didn't ask for one as I was pressed for time and I was really only trying to find the bloke that had previously done such a good job of resoldering wires to aluminium voice coils.

FWIW, Edward seemed a sincere sort of chap and the ones I saw looked quite well finished. But, they appeared to have been built to a fairly standard formula on a very strict budget and I guess I just didn't find them interesting enough to request a proper listen when he didn't offer it....

Cheers

Tony

I met Edward a very long time ago when he made his first pair of speakers and he asked me if he could bring them around to my place and get an opinion on them.

At the time he only had an old 3 in one stereo /radiogram and I was working at Grenfell and had a Meridian pre and Meridian mono blocks with Monitor Audio Studio 20's. He wanted to hear his speakers and formulate his own opinion and get mine as well.

They were like most home made speakers at the time using Vifa kits with modifications and he told me at the time that his dream was to design and build his own speakers, but he had no money and was selling encyclopedia Britannica at night to support his family.

Sorry to digress, but this was his background and I helped him with moral support and audio knowledge at the time and he was/is a very genuine guy.

However, then and now he is realistic enough to know that his speakers were never going to be reviewed in Stereophile and he deliberately and purposely has kept on designing mid fi speakers to sell to people who are not audio enthusiasts, but who want something a little different so they can show their friends something with a point of difference, plus the fact that it is made in Adelaide,which is a feel good factor for the non discerner.

I guess the point I am making is that Edward knows his speakers and knows the market into which he wants to sell. He is NOT looking for people who are enthusiasts/savants to sell to and has kept faith with his goals and target audience.

So, in the end, these are "step up" speakers for the non addict, who wants something better than an LG HT package from The Good Guys, or for use with low to mid fi separates.

If you are looking for affordable high end or you inhabit this forum compulsively, these are not your speakers, but if you want a starter system for HT or audio, then they are a good choice.

I know that Edward know this as well and he builds ,designs and markets to that demographic group and in a small way he has achieved a good product, at a good price for a particular market.

I hope this helps.

Rantan.

Thanks Rantan.

This is the first time i have heard this perspective.That is other than those which have purchased.

But IMO it is good that there is somewhere out there that could b e deemed as a stepping stone.

After all there is no harm in offereing something better than the usual fodder.

This is pretty much the opinion that I had formed of these speakers. "High end" is a very relative measure, as is "mid-fi" ... but let's just say that knowing basic costs of components and the drivers he uses, and then considering the $1000-$1500 price tag for a "optioned up" set of floor standers, you are getting considerable value for money.

Thanks Rantan.

This is the first time i have heard this perspective.That is other than those which have purchased.

But IMO it is good that there is somewhere out there that could b e deemed as a stepping stone.

After all there is no harm in offereing something better than the usual fodder.

Hi Joz. You make a good point and I couldn't agree more. To be honest ,I wish there were more companies like Edward's out here who can introduce people to better quality audio and getting them to believe that they can listen to music enjoyably without having to have a "golden ear".

We need much more of this in all aspects of audio,particularly electronics and particularly in Australia.

It is easy to find and by a great sounding system if you have $60,000 to spend , but finding harmonious tones and toe tapping ability isn't nearly as easy at $3,000.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Edward and his company. I saw and auditioned his very first design and noted his dream to build a business and learn about audio and I was delighted to help him with what advice I could give.

He has chosen a particular market and catered to it superbly. As a friend and an audio enthusiast, I wish him nothing but great prosperity and wish there were more people like him in audio production.

My post was merely a background and an explanation of his philosophy.

Cheers

Rantan.

Hi Joz. You make a good point and I couldn't agree more. To be honest ,I wish there were more companies like Edward's out here who can introduce people to better quality audio and getting them to believe that they can listen to music enjoyably without having to have a "golden ear".

We need much more of this in all aspects of audio,particularly electronics and particularly in Australia.

It is easy to find and by a great sounding system if you have $60,000 to spend , but finding harmonious tones and toe tapping ability isn't nearly as easy at $3,000.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for Edward and his company. I saw and auditioned his very first design and noted his dream to build a business and learn about audio and I was delighted to help him with what advice I could give.

He has chosen a particular market and catered to it superbly. As a friend and an audio enthusiast, I wish him nothing but great prosperity and wish there were more people like him in audio production.

My post was merely a background and an explanation of his philosophy.

Cheers

Rantan.

Well put and from a knowledgeable perspective.

I think most know these aren't a high end product, but great value for money, and extremely hard to beat at the price. I auditioned everything available up to $2000 (which is stuff all !) and IMO, nothing compared. A $3500 set I auditioned, IMO were comparable and that still is very much the low end of the market price wise.

To put things in perspective though, you do have to spend a fairly large chunk more to get an appreciable increase in sound quality IMO, that's where Edwards speakers shine.

If you don't want to spend lots of $, they are a bargain, if money is no object, buy something else. The "Golden Eared" ones wont have a bar of them anyway, no name tag.

Good thing is, if say you have $3-5000 to spend all up, it certainly allows you to buy a great product and lets you spend a bit more in the amp department etc so you end up with a great value total package. Best speakers in the world arent much chop if what their being driven with is below par.

Wondering if you've heard his latest offerings?

Hi Dasko

I am using a Marantz SR6003 AVR. That drives the centre speaker and rears. My Mains are driven by a rotel RB1552 power amp.

Kill Bill Vol1/2. Unfortunately my blu-ray player does not have 5.1 analog outputs so have to run as standard Dolby Digital. The new centre is still "burning in" and just continues to impress me.

What i do like about Edwards is you can customise the speakers and crossovers.

Cheers

Dazz

Kill Bill Vol1/2. Unfortunately my blu-ray player does not have 5.1 analog outputs so have to run as standard Dolby Digital.

Dazz, assuming you have a digital audio connection (Optical, Coax, HDMI)from the Bluray player to the amp, you should be able to play the PCM track no problems (I'm not talking about HD audio tracks here which arent on Kill Bill anyway).

While you are watching the movie, go to the language setup or use the audio button on the remote to select the PCM (uncompressed) soundtrack. (From memory it's the top one in the language options with standard DD5.1 selected as default)

sorry for the thread drift.....

hi there guys,

I’m a first time poster and, noticing this thread on Adelaide Speakers felt inclined to write. I’ve had a pair of 8893PRTL Summoners for two years and think really highly of them. As a CD reviewer, I was looking for speakers that were full-range and very accurate. Originally I had thoughts of building a SEAS Thor kit, but the cost of landing that in Australia was more than having Edward doing what turned out to be a custom design.

They have a pair of eight-inch Peerless Nomex HDS drivers in a slim but tall cabinet. Loaded by what seems a unique hybrid transmission line design, these move serious air. Above are a Fountek ribbon tweeter and a five-inch Peerless HDS mid that sound very seamless together.

I’ve got them hooked up to a Jungson JA-88D amp and Shanling SCD-T2000 cd player. It’s taken two years to tweak the system, which included siting the components properly, cable upgrades, and having Edward revise the crossover. But now it’s pretty well what I was aiming for: studio monitor quality without being fatiguing. The sound, to my ears, is open, natural and fabulously detailed.

Edward told me the 8893 are one of the best designs he’s made, and he took real pride in getting their frequency response as absolutely flat as he could for me. What I didn’t realise is how little tweaks in this department can have quite major effects on the amount of detail that the ear picks up. I’ve heard lots of considerably more expensive speakers, but to my ear they don’t have the same evenness and can sound plain tiring.

I was after high sensitivity, to keep the Jungson at a comfortably low operating level (it is an exceptional Class A amp but has a steadily rising distortion characteristic). After the recent tweak, Edward has got the speakers up to 94dB. The result is a particularly unstrained, clean sound. I can’t imagine ever needing another pair of speakers.

Just my two cents’ worth. ;)

welcome Astrolug and another bloody South Aussie ; )

yes, welcome, hope you are enjoying the heat!

Can I ask what type of CD's you review and where you publish that information?

Not sure if that is something you care to share or not, understand if not. Just curious really.

cheers

TB

Thanks tb123 for the tip. Even in standard Dolby the sound of the swords hitting each other had that lovely metallic ting. Even my mum noticed the difference when i had her over for dinner one night and we watched Terminator Salvation.

Welcome Astrolug. I think i saw your speakers sitting in Edwards lounge-room when i went to pick up my centre. He did say he was tweeking these further. They certainly are very tall!

Cheers

Dazz

hi there guys,

I’m a first time poster and, noticing this thread on Adelaide Speakers felt inclined to write. I’ve had a pair of 8893PRTL Summoners for two years and think really highly of them. As a CD reviewer, I was looking for speakers that were full-range and very accurate. Originally I had thoughts of building a SEAS Thor kit, but the cost of landing that in Australia was more than having Edward doing what turned out to be a custom design.

They have a pair of eight-inch Peerless Nomex HDS drivers in a slim but tall cabinet. Loaded by what seems a unique hybrid transmission line design, these move serious air. Above are a Fountek ribbon tweeter and a five-inch Peerless HDS mid that sound very seamless together.

I’ve got them hooked up to a Jungson JA-88D amp and Shanling SCD-T2000 cd player. It’s taken two years to tweak the system, which included siting the components properly, cable upgrades, and having Edward revise the crossover. But now it’s pretty well what I was aiming for: studio monitor quality without being fatiguing. The sound, to my ears, is open, natural and fabulously detailed.

Edward told me the 8893 are one of the best designs he’s made, and he took real pride in getting their frequency response as absolutely flat as he could for me. What I didn’t realise is how little tweaks in this department can have quite major effects on the amount of detail that the ear picks up. I’ve heard lots of considerably more expensive speakers, but to my ear they don’t have the same evenness and can sound plain tiring.

I was after high sensitivity, to keep the Jungson at a comfortably low operating level (it is an exceptional Class A amp but has a steadily rising distortion characteristic). After the recent tweak, Edward has got the speakers up to 94dB. The result is a particularly unstrained, clean sound. I can’t imagine ever needing another pair of speakers.

Just my two cents’ worth. :)

Welcome to SNA Astrolug.

Cheap speakers they might be, but nasty they aren't. I also love the detail these speakers constantly and consistently deliver, great to hear your point of view also.

I enjoyed your 2 cents worth, cheers.

just want to say all the best for 2010 for all the people that appreciate and have edwards speakers.also too all the other members here that love music and hi-fi.

sometimes we get grumpy at each other but we all have the same passion.

no such thing :D not unless you have very very thick walls:nana

Cheers George

Hi George i should clarify that, a sound reduced room :)

Im using the sound check plaster board in the construction.

there is a case study link here

the kids rooms are a long way from the TR so with this it should help make it quieter down there while im gripping my chair.

Speaking of chairs im looking to buy these ones for my TR and 2 2seaters for the sides.

Hey dazza why don't you save and get one to run the whole lot? that 707 is all hdmi and has the up scaling and HD Dolby and TRUE HD and THX2.

Has any one purchased the Monster cables new H2000 series at all??

ahh i could ask 100 questions some days lol

yes, welcome, hope you are enjoying the heat!

Can I ask what type of CD's you review and where you publish that information?

Not sure if that is something you care to share or not, understand if not. Just curious really.

cheers

TB

hi tb123 and Bear72

The CD reviews I do are classical discs, for a publication that better remain nameless. What I find though is how hard they are to write, harder than live concert reviewing, despite the shorter copy. It certainly puts a different slant on what one expects from hi-fi. The less ‘hi-fi’ and the more plainly accurate seems to help, if that makes any sense. My first speakers, wardrobe sized DCM Model 2s (does anybody remember these other creations made in Adelaide?), were way too voluptuous—hugely enjoyable but quite the wrong thing. These speakers Edward made for me are accurate while still being ‘musical’, I find.

cheers Astrolug

Thanks tb123 for the tip. Even in standard Dolby the sound of the swords hitting each other had that lovely metallic ting. Even my mum noticed the difference when i had her over for dinner one night and we watched Terminator Salvation.

Welcome Astrolug. I think i saw your speakers sitting in Edwards lounge-room when i went to pick up my centre. He did say he was tweeking these further. They certainly are very tall!

Cheers

Dazz

hi there Dazz,

Yep, they were the ones you saw. Taller than Thor by a hand span but still nice and narrow at 235mm. Edward says his 10-inch driver model goes deeper, because of its lower resonant frequency, and that customers prefer it for its squatter dimensions. But to me the advantages of tighter imaging afforded by a narrow baffle outweigh that. I figure the twin 8-inchers add up to more radiating area and move faster too. The actual 8893s Edward made for me are pictured second left on his website’s homepage, except there’s felt now added around the tweet. Elegant but brutish, don’t you reckon? :D

cheers Astrolug

hi tb123 and Bear72

The CD reviews I do are classical discs, for a publication that better remain nameless. What I find though is how hard they are to write, harder than live concert reviewing, despite the shorter copy. It certainly puts a different slant on what one expects from hi-fi.

Hi Astrolug and welcome to SNA.

If possible would you like to start a thread expanding on the difficulties of reviewing cds and some of your perceptions about hifi and the music reviewing experience.

There are a lot of people here who would be delighted if you could contribute to the "classical currently spinning" thread too.

Kevin

Hi Astrolug and welcome to SNA.

If possible would you like to start a thread expanding on the difficulties of reviewing cds and some of your perceptions about hifi and the music reviewing experience.

There are a lot of people here who would be delighted if you could contribute to the "classical currently spinning" thread too.

Kevin

Yup, I would second that request :D Would love to read more about your point of view.

hi there Dazz,

Yep, they were the ones you saw. Taller than Thor by a hand span but still nice and narrow at 235mm. Edward says his 10-inch driver model goes deeper, because of its lower resonant frequency, and that customers prefer it for its squatter dimensions. But to me the advantages of tighter imaging afforded by a narrow baffle outweigh that. I figure the twin 8-inchers add up to more radiating area and move faster too. The actual 8893s Edward made for me are pictured second left on his website’s homepage, except there’s felt now added around the tweet. Elegant but brutish, don’t you reckon? :D

cheers Astrolug

im iust happy your here

I have known Edward for many years and consider him a personal friend. I have no vested interest in his business. I support him because he offers the best bang for your buck in Australia, perhaps the world.

His motivation is a consuming passion for what he does as this is all he does. I run a D.I.Y Ascension based design in my computer multi- media room and they are stunning. They run Peerless HDS drivers with the Nomex 5 inch bass/mid & 810291 tweeter outboard crossovers and weigh 12.5 KG's each. I recently auditioned them against some serious high end competition including Usher Be 718's and some $10K Australian 2 way speakers that were superbly made and finished. It cost me $650 to build and I can honestly say they held their own in this heady company. No it wasn't quite as detailed in the upper treble as the Ushers or quite as extended in the Bass, it is uglier being experimental DIY boxes. It was 9.5/10ths as good for 1/4 of the cost and did some things better like a more seamless crossover integration and was more efficient and easier to drive. As for some comments on them not being "high end" I have to disagree I have listened to astrolugs speakers before they were delivered and they sure sounded high end to my ears.

My front end is insured for $67 000 with custom built valve amps and electronics so I know what "high end" should sound like and Adelaide Speakers can in the top of the range models compete with the best in the world. Inexpensive yes, cheap definitely NOT

I have owned ProAcs, Duntechs, Krix, Vaf, Tannoy Canterbury SE, Linn Isobariks, Celestion, B&W, Technics SB F1's and listened to hundreds of others

As for Rantans comments about them being a step up from LG? MID FI? perhaps 2 decades ago but they have now evolved into something that as stated before competes with the best in the world along with his customers of which I am proud to count myself as one. I am a self confessed audio no holes barred fanatic and anything I listen to now has to be fantastic not merely good His crossover and cabinet designs has changed my perception of what is possible for very modest outlay and enhanced my enjoyment of music. The only problem with being outstanding and inexpensive is you are going to rattle the cage of producers of more expensive lesser local "high end" even if you don't mean to, especially when you don't need to spend stupid amounts advertising to everybody how fantastic you are. If you are really good your customers will do it for free. Enough said

Cheers theaudiopath:nana

Edited by theaudiopath
grammar

Isn't it interesting how I went out of my way to praise Edward and his passion and to tell how and when I heard his first design in my own home and offered what advice I could and yet my post features in ONE out of context remark about "stepping up" for the average consumer.

THAT market is the core of Adelaide Speakers business and you know it.

I have nothing other than respect and admiration for Edward and I have said so publicly..........on several occasions in this forum.

It may be wise to temper your enthusiasm and express your opinion in a slightly more objective and less lurid fashion and I just wonder why you felt no need to quote some of the very negative remarks that were made here about Adelaide Speakers.

I do not need to endorse Edward and his business.

I did that 15 years ago.

Rantan