Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

ive been listening to edwards firefox boofshelf speakers for afew weeks now and they are really great speakers.

i recommend his speakers to anyone here on stereonet as you wont find better value sounding speakers . if anyone can please let me know

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, very new to the world of decent sound - been trawling through oceans of information for the last couple of months. Begun by upgrading the television to a 50" plaz and now my dinky HT setup is sincerely outgunned! Only stumbled upon the ascension site by accident and believe i have found (after reading all this!) my speaker upgrade as my budget is limited and naturally I want the best value for money possible.

As I am in Darwin I am wondering if anyone has had experience with Edwards kit arrangements. Just for the sake of minimising shipping as it seems to get anything up here costs 8 times as much as anywhere else in Australia! I have some access to a woodwork shop (work there on most Saturdays for a bit of play money!) but am a bit nervy about doing this sort of thing myself. Any comments would be handy....

Welcome to the forum bear72. Have you done the rounds of the Hi-Fi stores up your way to have a listen to some speakers to get an idea of what is available out there? You should listen to a few before jumping in with your choice. The Adelaide speakers do have a decent rap though!!

Hey 'Port Power' are heading your way this week-end, maybe they can take your speakers up for you!!:D

Cheers Grumpy for the welcome! This is what I have seen and heard up here-

Whatmough Opus 30,5c,fx and Impulse sub @ Hardly's. Bloody nice but too much rupees for my wallet ($4k)

Klipsch Reference series

Mirage

Sonique - All at North coast Hi Fi

Aaron ats

B&W 600's - Sound Spectrum

Only ones I wasnt so keen on was the aarons but the rest all sounded good to me. The untrained ear I guess...

Thats the selection, though goood, its limited. Must say I kinda like the thought of building my own. And theoretically saving some bucks in the process. Just hesitant. Think I might pick up an amp first, probably Cambridge's 640R cos it tickles my fancy (and I LIKE that to be tickled!). :D

Welcome to the forum bear72. Have you done the rounds of the Hi-Fi stores up your way to have a listen to some speakers to get an idea of what is available out there? You should listen to a few before jumping in with your choice. The Adelaide speakers do have a decent rap though!!

Hey 'Port Power' are heading your way this week-end, maybe they can take your speakers up for you!!:D

Hey grumps they may as well take up speaker deliveries - they can forgot going up to play quality football!!!!

Andy!! we haven't spoken for awhile and when we do, it's THAT!! Come on mate, lift your game!:D

yeah Andy we are all trying to be gentle to Grumpy and his sorry team of footballers .... definitely don't mention the game last week end.

sorry to the OP for going OT...but Richmond doesn't win many games (particularly in Adelaide)..oh we're from Tigerland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P

Think I might pick up an amp first, probably Cambridge's 640R cos it tickles my fancy (and I LIKE that to be tickled!). :D

I just picked up the CA 640r ($990 on sale half price) and plan to match it to Edwards speakers as well, but have to wait until the new home is built which will be about 6 months away.

Couldn't be happier with the 640r for the money, even using my old Accusound OM-900 speakers, the improvement over my old Onkyo TX-DS595 amp was fantastic.

grumpy is this ports end of season trip already and it only june.

6 months Repeet... Dang! not sure I could see the distance there. Presumably you got the 640 from Steve? That is a good deal eh? Hope he has some left!!!

Glad to hear my thoughts are agreed with too thanks for the feedback. Anyone here tried or know of somebody who has put Edward's together from component form?

Just hesitant. Think I might pick up an amp first, probably Cambridge's 640R cos it tickles my fancy (and I LIKE that to be tickled!). :rolleyes:

Good choice, Bear72. If you buy it from Eastwood HiFi, as I did, you can get free shipping as well as a great deal on returned stock. Last I looked they had 2 at $990. See the specials page on their website.

I have had the 640R for a month now and it is a great performer.

Now my girlfriend is getting cold feet about the amp! Got to warm her up again! Suggestions?

My suggestion is to buy whatever you want before you're married, because then you're really stuffed! :rolleyes:

On a serious note do you want surround sound cause if you only want stereo is there any point to the 640R?

My suggestion is to buy whatever you want before you're married, because then you're really stuffed! :rolleyes:

On a serious note do you want surround sound cause if you only want stereo is there any point to the 640R?

Yeah been looking for a single unit that will perform well for surround AND 2 channel and this one looks the goods from all I've heard. I prefer at the moment a minimalist approach to "stuff" in the house so the plan is, at least for now, 1 disc twirler, 1 amp/receiver, 1 display.

So...... speaker cabinets. Easy to make well?

bear the cost of buying edwards kit speakers are well priced probley the best out there in kit form. i suggest just buying them fully made by edward as he will put them together and when you receive them you can have them up and running in afew minutes.

also edward does not charge over the top freight chargers as some speaker manufacturers seem to do. just give edward a call

Now you've activated my "slackass" function! I admit the thought of having them arrive ready to plug and play is extremely tempting- and actually haven't checked the cost of MDF, finishing materials too. Hmmmm... what to do....:D

Hi all!

Just thought I would poke my head in :) Stumbled across this site this morning and have been browsing through it, very informative!

But on topic... Acsension Speakers. My thoughts if they are any help for people considering them.

I bought a pair of Summoners from Edward probably 8 months ago now. Feeding them is a Cambridge 640A V2 and 640C V2. To cut it short I am VERY impressed. If you want more detail keep reading.

They are 3-way transmission line boxes. 10" main woofer, 5.25" midrange, high end Vifa tweeter. Finished in real wood American Oak veneer and stained gloss Jarrah. I had the option of getting a 10" high end Peerless, but by the time Edward finished tweaking the generic 10" woofer it sounded far better and a heap cheaper! Soundstage is supurb. Sound is detailed and smooth all the way through with no exagerating of frequency ranges. They weigh around 40kg each, 6ohm, 26Hz-40kHz, 92dB (from memory) and 160Wrms (music power). Made from 25mm MDF. He doesnt make his own boxes from solid wood anymore as the demand got too big for him to keep up.

I listen to everything from heavy R&B, Dance, Classical, Tenor and they sound great on all of them. The only thing I have found they struggle with is very low Pipe Organ notes (talking under 20Hz here).

I met with him 3 times and phoned him a number of times before settling on these. He is extrememly helpful (and patient!). He also provided a drawing of the crossovers which are very simple and clean... minimal fiddling with the signal.

The end result... I am aching to buy another set for the living room (but got married in May so fat chance).

Other peoples reactions after listening to them:

A mate who has some VAF floorstanders took them to him and he rehashed the crossover, changed the tweeters and my mate has been raving about the change ever since. Wants to pull the VAF badge off and put Acsension's on :P

A friend brought some Acsension bookshelfs for his Dad who also has some VAF floorstanders and his Dad was extremely impressed. They sound clearer in the top end than the VAFs by a long shot.

My sisters friend's Dad was looking for speakers. Came and listened to mine for 2 hours with his own music. Result... He bought a 640A and 540C from Cambridge and 2 sets of floorstanders from Edward... a Summoner Transmission Line 10" 3 way for the lounge and a Sentinel 6.5" 2 way for the living area.

Over all they are very well built, very customisable and very smooth sounding all round. You will not get the support or custimisation from any brand name maufacturer. I have yet to find anything that comes close to mine under $3000-$4000 and mine only cost me $1080!!!! Value for money they are fantastic. But if you really really want to pay more for a fancy brand name badge to show off do so.

Edward built speakers commercially for 30 years. Now he has 'retired' and builds everything in his lounge. He has 2 rooms which are not invaded by boxes, drivers, crossovers etc... that is his bedroom and the bathroom :P As far as working for VAF as was mentioned by someone previously... he mentioned that they had asked him to work for them but I got the impression he never did. He isnt a real fan of them and tweaks quite a few of their speakers for people.

Gee that was a long 1st post but hopefully it helps people who cant go and hear them or who are not as familiar with him and his speakers.

Cheers!

Pete