Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

However Ribbons measure, my Ambience sound sublime so I'm not sure that I'd worry too much about measurements. As far as Adelaide speakers are concerned, I'm about to join the club. I've ordered a centre channel and two surrounds as I'm going multi channel. The centre will have Scan Speak drivers, like the Ambience, and of course, the Ribbon tweeter. I'm hoping that I don't come unstuck with timbre match between the centre and the Ambience mains so it's a bit of a punt on my part but as long as the 2 channel is good, I won't stress too much about home theatre. If you look at my equipment list below, you'll note that my system is not too shabby at all and quite a bit different than the stereotypical Adelaide Speakers buyer ( you know, dismissed as entry level/no real clue about HiFi etc) so if anyone is interested to know how a pair of Adelaide Speakers sounds with McIntosh amps and a Bryston dac, I'll be more than happy to oblige!

Hi Captain. Just wondering if you have got your speakers yet? What models did you order? Interested in your thoughts.

Hi Captain. Just wondering if you have got your speakers yet? What models did you order? Interested in your thoughts.

Hi 68premier. I've had my speakers for about 2 weeks but I still haven't heard them yet. Just haven't had the time to set it all up as yet but expect to do so this week - hopefully! Will report back with info once I get everything working. The speakers look to be very well made and nicely finished!

Hey 68primer, have you posted pics of your speakers? Perhaps I missed them.

Sorry buzz. Nah I haven't yet. My clapped out 3.1 MP Kodak (Chrissie present about 10 yrs ago) seems to have bitten the dust. I think the last time I dropped it from a grand stand sealed it's fate. I can tell you I was cheesed off last time I was on holiday and wanted to use it. My phone camera is even crappier than that one so I haven't bothered. Lookin at replacing both pretty soon. Probably phone first, as a photographer I make a pretty good butcher. I think it runs in the genes. My grandfather was known as the head hunter as every photo he took had someones head off lol.

Still toying with the idea of getting a bigger sub or maybe another the same. Just don't know yet. Also love to audition some of the SVS range as they seem to get a good wrap around here.

In reality I should sort out my room treatment as #1 priority as I'm having a couple probs. The bass at times sounds a bit weak in the room yet vibrates stuff in other rooms in the house. Lucky I'm a bachelor hey. Neighbours don't really understand me though and have suggested a 11:00 PM Friday night curfew lol. I have been a good boy since.

After doing most set up seggestions regarding placement, crossover points and the like I have set it up by ear and have found the best all round performance so far, after all it's how it sounds to me that counts.

While I'm dribbling, I recently bought a ute (absolute ball tearer even if I do say so myself) and when I get time will probably take the Sumoners back to Edward for a tune. While the mid and high freq sound good they are just slightly forward for my liking.

Haha, a 11pm curfew isn't so bad - around here it's 10pm enforced by body corporate - although I've never known them to do anything about it. Occasionally a neighbour will party through the night playing stuff like Justin Bieber (who knows why), so I take liberty and play some really horrible metal in an attempt to drain out the noise...

My current system is pretty clear, but It doesn't have enough bass for my tastes, although it would probably work in a smaller room (four six inch bass drivers plus two twelves fail in a six by six room, how?), even still I'm running into problems with rattling light fixtures. I'll be lucky if the Summoners don't knock them right out of the ceiling.

Good luck buying a camera, be wary of cheap AA battery units!

Sorry buzz. Nah I haven't yet. My clapped out 3.1 MP Kodak (Chrissie present about 10 yrs ago) seems to have bitten the dust. I think the last time I dropped it from a grand stand sealed it's fate. I can tell you I was cheesed off last time I was on holiday and wanted to use it. My phone camera is even crappier than that one so I haven't bothered. Lookin at replacing both pretty soon. Probably phone first, as a photographer I make a pretty good butcher. I think it runs in the genes. My grandfather was known as the head hunter as every photo he took had someones head off lol.

Still toying with the idea of getting a bigger sub or maybe another the same. Just don't know yet. Also love to audition some of the SVS range as they seem to get a good wrap around here.

In reality I should sort out my room treatment as #1 priority as I'm having a couple probs. The bass at times sounds a bit weak in the room yet vibrates stuff in other rooms in the house. Lucky I'm a bachelor hey. Neighbours don't really understand me though and have suggested a 11:00 PM Friday night curfew lol. I have been a good boy since.

After doing most set up seggestions regarding placement, crossover points and the like I have set it up by ear and have found the best all round performance so far, after all it's how it sounds to me that counts.

While I'm dribbling, I recently bought a ute (absolute ball tearer even if I do say so myself) and when I get time will probably take the Sumoners back to Edward for a tune. While the mid and high freq sound good they are just slightly forward for my liking.

HI 68, which model sub in particular are u using?

I've been toying with getting a new sub and would love the big 15" but 'she who must be obeyed' would have a heart attack if I shelled out that much on another sub, so I've been thinking about the 1222VTL.

I wouldn't like to buy that if it's inadequate though, I might have to channel some funds into the 'cunning kit' and upgrade further.

Anyone here use the 1222PTL ?

NGM, Pretty sure I have a 1222. Can't find the paperwork right now. However mine has a peerless driver that at the time was not his regular choice. It was ordered by someone who backed out according to Edward. I think I recall him saying it was their car vesion driver. Looks pretty similar except it has the peerless logo printed on the dome. Edward said it cost the same or more than the regular driver but he made me a pretty good deal on it so I took it. Will get a new camera soon and get a pic up.

NGM, Pretty sure I have a 1222. Can't find the paperwork right now. However mine has a peerless driver that at the time was not his regular choice. It was ordered by someone who backed out according to Edward. I think I recall him saying it was their car vesion driver. Looks pretty similar except it has the peerless logo printed on the dome. Edward said it cost the same or more than the regular driver but he made me a pretty good deal on it so I took it. Will get a new camera soon and get a pic up.

Thanks 68, I might save my pennies and get the big 15" mofu, that should scare the neighbours.:nana

I went with a dual 10" sub from him and love it, 15" just takes up so much room.

That's good to hear Mitcon, I know you like your speakers with tons of grunt, so it must be good.

How do you rate it compared to others youve had or heard, and how does it compare to the giant speakers with massive woofers u all ready have? They must be pretty awesome on their own, does the twin 10 substantially out perform them?

I'm stoked with the sub he made me, but it is 2x 10" peerless drivers and the amp is a Redgum amp which in itself is fantastic. It does go a bit lower than my speakers but I must say to be honest my speakers do go very low lol, I don't normally use the sub for music as my main speaker do fine on their own but the sub is wonderful none the less I just tend to use it for movies. It's by far the best sounding sub I have owned and better than most I have heard IMO, but everyones different and not many people want to spend that kind of coin on just a sub.

On a side note my neighbours think it's a quite able sub lol

I'm stoked with the sub he made me, but it is 2x 10" peerless drivers and the amp is a Redgum amp which in itself is fantastic. It does go a bit lower than my speakers but I must say to be honest my speakers do go very low lol, I don't normally use the sub for music as my main speaker do fine on their own but the sub is wonderful none the less I just tend to use it for movies. It's by far the best sounding sub I have owned and better than most I have heard IMO, but everyones different and not many people want to spend that kind of coin on just a sub.

On a side note my neighbours think it's a quite able sub lol

I would hate to live beside you! :nana

I would only use it for movies, pure 2 channel for music, and don't think I can stretch to the more exy version like yours, but I'm sure the twin 10' version that he lists would still be good, just not as good as yours!

When getting up to that sort of coin, I might try out a few others around the place first and see how they scrub up tho, pity I cant demo one locally.

I've not heard the normal dual 10" he does but I'm sure it would still be a cracker of a sub for the price, but best talk to him about it I guess. I was after what I got and nothing less as I wanted something to be as good or a little better than my speakers seeing as they do a pretty good job of their own. lol, it's not that bad living near me...so long as you like the same kind fo music/movies that I do hahahaha. I try to keep it down a little bit most the time to be honest as I had complaints from a couple of streets back the other year. So I try not to blast things too much and I also make sure to close ALL windows and doors, not had a complaint from anyone close by for about a year now.

I've not heard the normal dual 10" he does but I'm sure it would still be a cracker of a sub for the price, but best talk to him about it I guess. I was after what I got and nothing less as I wanted something to be as good or a little better than my speakers seeing as they do a pretty good job of their own. lol, it's not that bad living near me...so long as you like the same kind fo music/movies that I do hahahaha. I try to keep it down a little bit most the time to be honest as I had complaints from a couple of streets back the other year. So I try not to blast things too much and I also make sure to close ALL windows and doors, not had a complaint from anyone close by for about a year now.

It's a good thing u don't live in NZ, those poor buggers in Christchurch would think they are about to get belted by another number 7 on the Richter again ................oh.......it's OK, it's just Mits firing up the movie Terminator ! :nana

Edited by NGM

Noticed a strange bass result from my Summoners and wonder if anyone else has the same result, and thoughts as to what might be the problem.

Have noticed for a long time a distinct lack of bass when playing stereo. I always sit in front of the speakers, probably about 4ish m in front, speakers slightly toed in. I bought a separate pre a while back to be able to adjust the bass separately, but have always thought it seriously lacked. Home theatre is fine, subwoofer and centre channels working, bass is fine, but in stereo, bass is weak.

I realised last night when crossing the room, directly in front of either speaker, the bass is good, to the outside of either speaker, the bass increases dramatically. Standing in the back corner of the room to the outside of the speakers, the bass is thumping, but sitting centre, it's all most non existent. It's all most as if the woofers are pointing in an outward direction

What's people thoughts before I ring Edward, room acoustics? Speaker problem? Is this normal?

Changed the source and no difference.

Perplexed.;)

Edited by NGM

I'd be checking if the bass drivers are out of phase. In fact, from what you describe, I'd be betting that they are.

This! I put a battery on the terminals of mine to check when I got them (and they're certinly in phase) .... but I'd be checkin with those symptoms.

I'd be checking if the bass drivers are out of phase. In fact, from what you describe, I'd be betting that they are.

Cheers

Tony

I initially thought that and checked that positive was connected to positive etc and all is correct.

What else can I do to check? I'll swap them over and see what happens.

I initially thought that and checked that positive was connected to positive etc and all is correct.

What else can I do to check? I'll swap them over and see what happens.

You could try the battery test as suggested by dave. Or change them over and see what happens as you have suggested yourself. Don't forget to check the connections at the power amp end, too.

Don't assume the woofers are in phase because your speaker wires are connected to the right terminals. Speakers can have a driver wired out of phase at the factory.;)

Cheers

Tony

Noticed a strange bass result from my Summoners and wonder if anyone else has the same result, and thoughts as to what might be the problem.

Have noticed for a long time a distinct lack of bass when playing stereo. I always sit in front of the speakers, probably about 4ish m in front, speakers slightly toed in. I bought a separate pre a while back to be able to adjust the bass separately, but have always thought it seriously lacked. Home theatre is fine, subwoofer and centre channels working, bass is fine, but in stereo, bass is weak.

I realised last night when crossing the room, directly in front of either speaker, the bass is good, to the outside of either speaker, the bass increases dramatically. Standing in the back corner of the room to the outside of the speakers, the bass is thumping, but sitting centre, it's all most non existent. It's all most as if the woofers are pointing in an outward direction

What's people thoughts before I ring Edward, room acoustics? Speaker problem? Is this normal?

Changed the source and no difference.

Perplexed.:)

Sounds very similar to mine. Well it was when I first got them. I think after a significant break in period they are much better yet still have better bass response in other parts of the room. I admit I haven't checked for phase. I mainly put it down to the room, for no real reason I might add.

I often lay on my couch which is to the side of the room and notice the bass is a little better there than in the traditional sweet spot.

I have noticed with the Summoners and other speakers the bass is increased in the rear of the room, however to me it sounds muddy and overdone.

I'd be interested in what Edward has to say.