YouTube Spinning

I've been getting into the jazz trio The Bad Plus lately, and have found that on their earlier albums they liked to cover some classic rock songs.

Here they do Radioheads: Karma Police

and an interesting Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd 

Edited by soundfan

Circle of Rhythm - Greg Sheehan, Bobby Singh & Ben Walsh

These guys played a "secret" album launch gig in Sydney last night. One of those time I wished I still lived in the big smoke.

Awesome, thanks for that!

What's the album called?

I have seen The Bird live many times, some years ago now.

Ben's "Human in the Audiosphere" solo shows at the Opera House were something else too, couldn't find any footage on youtube though.

Cheers

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for that!

What's the album called?

I have seen The Bird live many times, some years ago now.

Ben's "Human in the Audiosphere" solo shows at the Opera House were something else too, couldn't find any footage on youtube though.

Cheers

Tbh I don't know. I deleted the email that alerted me to it. :sorry:

They released a cd five years ago called Metrical, which can be found on Groovelands. I hope this helps.

If you like this kind of stuff, I urge you to join us on the Jazz Currently spinning thread. Great music abounds :thumb:

• Like 2

Wow, that's amazing. That harp is something special, but the cello... I've never heard it like that before. I've never been completely comfortable with the cellos sound because I've often found it to be very nasal, but now I need to rethink how I feel about it. "World music" can be so exciting, barriers continue to melt and the language of western instruments is constantly being reinvented by passionate people to suit an increasingly sophisticated audience. Oh, to live in Europe.

Thanks again soundfan for sharing with us your adventurous spirit. It's a wonder that so many still listen mostly to pop music, when there is so much beauty to be witnessed. I think people would be much happier and be able to escape from the daily stresses of life if they could just give themselves over to music and art like this.

• Like 1

Wow, that's amazing. That harp is something special, but the cello... I've never heard it like that before. I've never been completely comfortable with the cellos sound because I've often found it to be very nasal, but now I need to rethink how I feel about it. "World music" can be so exciting, barriers continue to melt and the language of western instruments is constantly being reinvented by passionate people to suit an increasingly sophisticated audience. Oh, to live in Europe.

Thanks again soundfan for sharing with us your adventurous spirit. It's a wonder that so many still listen mostly to pop music, when there is so much beauty to be witnessed. I think people would be much happier and be able to escape from the daily stresses of life if they could just give themselves over to music and art like this.

I've always like the sound of the cello, but more so in the right setting like this one. I went through a world music phase about 15 years back where I listened nearly exclusively to it, but only retouch it now and then these days. Not because I don't enjoy it, but as you'd understand, there is just so much music out there wanting to be heard, and there are only so many hours in a day to hear it.

I hope you and mikey d enjoy the Necks gig.  :D

I've always like the sound of the cello, but more so in the right setting like this one. I went through a world music phase about 15 years back where I listened nearly exclusively to it, but only retouch it now and then these days. Not because I don't enjoy it, but as you'd understand, there is just so much music out there wanting to be heard, and there are only so many hours in a day to hear it.

I hope you and mikey d enjoy the Necks gig.  :D

Thanks mate. I know we will :thumb:

That's the thing, isn't it? Time. I realised early on, only a few years into collecting music, that I wanted to avoid obtaining music that did not have lasting value. I soon reached a stage where I started to cull a lot of what I had because of a strong sense of disappointment, of wasting time with mediocre junk that I knew would not last the distance. Since then I have worked on cultivating an ear for music that was of a certain quality; music that would withstand many repeated listenings. Music that is challenging, intriguing and beautiful. That is not to say that I don't appreciate less sophisticated forms of music. I can enjoy most anything on a passing, superficial level, but I have no desire to possess it. It comes back to time. Time of life.

Up until now, listening to music has been the most important thing in my life. It has helped to define me, make me feel real. I am aware that this is becoming a self indulgent rant, but I feel an urge to write about it. To put it out there into the nether and to practice and improve my limited abilities. My children are now becoming the most important things in my life. I hope that I may be an effective conduit (Neck) for them to develop a deep appreciation of music, art, life. It is becoming my ultimate aim to nurture offspring who will exceed me in every possible way.

Thanks for indulging my rant. I look forward to sharing thoughts and feelings about music with you and everyone else for as long as I can manage it.

• Like 2

Tbh I don't know. I deleted the email that alerted me to it. :sorry:

They released a cd five years ago called Metrical, which can be found on Groovelands. I hope this helps.

If you like this kind of stuff, I urge you to join us on the Jazz Currently spinning thread. Great music abounds :thumb:

Thanks again! Didn't even know about groovelands, just snagged me the Metrical CD and the Nirmana FLAC.

Your next selction was the first time I'd heard (the much hyped) Death Grips too. Reminds me of  Lightning Bolt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efSwcRW1X-Y

Cheers

Edited by ferchersan

Steve Vai

Definately 'prog' of some kind!

I just can't warm up to Steve Vai. He's just too 'clinical' with no real 'feel' in his playing, sound!

But that's only my take (coming from a 70's classic rock background)!

Edited by surfpurple
  • Like 1