Marantz vs Rotel vs any suggestions!

bus boy havent they always been bringing out the new processor though. I suppose when it is indeed out and if turns out to be bug free then definitely I'd say a contender. otherwise there really is the existing options out there to pick from. agree with you to if its coming out at $1500 plus shipping, duty taxes etc when lands here, there'd be some other options probably better to go for. as far as emo's eq I've never heard anyone say it works.

No i knew it was coming out i'm just a bit unsure about their pricing / target audience given the price of the current and previous offerings. With the newly released 5ch amp (the big one !) , and the pre-pro on the way they are starting to move into new price territory. I guess also if you look at it from out point of view in Australia, we think the pricing is good (without adding the extra costs) but for those who live in the US, all though the pricing is still good, dollar for dollar they will see it different. Take the pricing on houses for example if you've ever looked at the housing market in the US out of curiosity.

So a $1500 processor for those living in the US opens up a lot of other options. I'm not having a go at emotiva or anything like that so please don't missenterpret my post, i'm sure they will do well and sell plenty and that it ill be a great component just like the rest of their range.

Edited by Bus_Boy

I think its a bit like hyundia, we were looking for small car for a friend and found theyve started pricing the same as toyota, mazda, honda etc. but reality though they might think theyre at that level but customers dont. we in the end got an older hyundia getz for our friend which was much more reasonably priced than the newer models.

emotiva probably just pushing the price now theyve established a customer base. probably go through the phase of being a bit over priced for it is perceived to be and make adjustments to suit. theyre more geared for US market probably though, any sales in oz probably pretty small to worry about. large items like amps etc not really a realistic option to be shipped back to the us to be fixed so not somethign everyone see as a option.

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1347155012' post='760732]

emotiva probably just pushing the price now theyve established a customer base. probably go through the phase of being a bit over priced for it is perceived to be and make adjustments to suit. theyre more geared for US market probably though, any sales in oz probably pretty small to worry about. large items like amps etc not really a realistic option to be shipped back to the us to be fixed so not somethign everyone see as a option.

As far as I know, the new XMC-1 processor is an addition to the range, rather than a replacement for the UMC-1 (there was also talk of a new UMC-1 with HDMI 1.4 / 3D support, not sure how that worked). That makes a lot more sense to me, I can't see anyone first diving into separates with a $1500 processor, like has happened to some extent with the UMC-1. Also bear in mind a decent number of XMC-1 buyers will be people who already have a UMC-1, and thus will be using their 40% off certificates, making it far cheaper.

I'd agree that shipping them over from the US is a risk, but look at it this way, at one stage it was around $700 AU shipped for the UMC-1. These days, you can't even find a receiver with pre-outs in that price range.

As far as I know, the new XMC-1 processor is an addition to the range, rather than a replacement for the UMC-1 (there was also talk of a new UMC-1 with HDMI 1.4 / 3D support, not sure how that worked). That makes a lot more sense to me, I can't see anyone first diving into separates with a $1500 processor, like has happened to some extent with the UMC-1. Also bear in mind a decent number of XMC-1 buyers will be people who already have a UMC-1, and thus will be using their 40% off certificates, making it far cheaper.

~

whether an addition or replacement, we were'nt really talking about that, more that there is what it is at price it is. and that there are other alternatives at same price point that people will consider. I dont think we're talking about existing umc owners. as far as I am aware the original poster isnt an existing owner.

~

I'd agree that shipping them over from the US is a risk, but look at it this way, at one stage it was around $700 AU shipped for the UMC-1. These days, you can't even find a receiver with pre-outs in that price range.

everyone has different comfort levels with these things. not everyone will be willing to shell out $700 or $1500 to grey import an item. many want piece of mind of a local purchase.

as to your question of cant find a receiver at $700 with pre-outs...

avr @$699 with pre-outs...

http://www.carltonau...=node/view/1574

Edited by :) al

That NAD receiver looks nice for a comparatively inexpensive receiver with full pre-outs.

In terms of what you get in a US $1500 processor lets compare the XMC-1 features vs the Marantz AV7005 (from my reading of their spec sheets, anyway...)

XMC-1 advantages: stereo subwoofer support, more advanced room correction system, balanced audio inputs/outputs

AV7005 advantages: video processing (not just passthrough), better connectivity options (DLNA, Bluetooth wireless audio options, etc).

I'd conclude it's not cut and dried which one is more fully featured out of the two (maybe a slight edge to the Marantz), although obviously that's not taking into consideration sound and video quality etc.

G'day folks, just updating this thread. 2 days ago I bought a NAD T787! So, in the end I didn't get seperates. What won me over was 2 amps, Audyssey & a good reputation for NAD.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the contributions and recommendations, it's appreciated.

Wow! I just check the stats on that receiver. Two separate torroidal transformers, one for the front channels and one for the rest, very nice. Let us know how it sounds when you get everything set up Kaynin, those of us with Osborns would very much like to know.

Congrats on your purchase, NAD do have a very good rep. Enjoy!

G'day folks, just updating this thread. 2 days ago I bought a NAD T787! So, in the end I didn't get seperates. What won me over was 2 amps, Audyssey & a good reputation for NAD.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the contributions and recommendations, it's appreciated.

congrats ! nad have a very good rep for receivers. grunty honestly rated ones. this one a great example where an avr will make more sense than a bottom feeder pre and power for the same money :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Kaynin,

Sorry for the late response - am a newbie myself. Let us know how your whole set-up works. I think you will be blown away especially with the home theatre sound.

I can also recommend you try (money back guarantee) some HDMI cables from JJ Acoustics via his ebay site. I swapped mine over a couple of weeks ago and was initially extremely skeptical of any possible visual or audio improvements. However the differences have been stunning in every sense, right from the word go. The owner/manager guarantees your money back if you don't like them.

Cheers,

G