Marantz vs Rotel vs any suggestions!

Hey folks,

Been reading this site for a short while, but first time poster, so I'm hoping for some advice smile.gif

I'm setting up a system whereby I'm looking for a good balance between music & 5.1. The room is a large rectangle, in that it's 11.5 (L) x 5 (W) metres (it's open plan living/kitchen/dining), but the listening position will be about 4 metres from the front speakers, and effects are at the seating position as well. My speakers are Osborn Eclipse (fronts), T12 (sub), C2 (centre) and F1 (effects). I like to listen to music and the occasional movie loud, so I'm after the right components to drive the speakers.

I'm looking at driving the speakers with separate amp. & 5.1 processor. My budget is up to $4,000 in total. I'm looking at a combo of the Marantz AV7005 & MM7055 as well as the Rotel RB1582 & RSP1572. I haven't heard these two set-ups, they're just recommendations made to me so far. My questions are:

* Does anyone have an opinion on which set-up would suit the speakers better (in terms of performance)?

* Can anyone recommend another combo that I should be looking at?

* The Eclipse specs state "MIN IMPEDANCE 5 Ohm" - does this impact on what equipment I should be looking at?

* The specs also state "MAXIMUM POWER 120 Watts R.M.S per Channel" - again, does this impact on what equipment I should be looking at?

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Kaynin, welcome to the site. I've got a pair of Osborn Eclipse speakers and I would predict that the Rotel combo (and I am assuming here that the rotel power amps have a similar sound to the Rotel integrateds) is likely to be a bit bright for the Eclipse tweeters. The Marantz is likely to be a better fit (though I feel Marantz are a bit over hyped, just my opinion).

What amp are you using at the moment and do you like the sound? If you want to change the sound, more warmth, less harsh top end, etc put it in a post and you might find someone who can help.

Cheers!

the rotel 1582 is a 2ch power amp, you'll need another multichannel amp to run the rest of the speakers.

the marantz power amp is nothing special. my bias would be to go for the rotel power, but you really need to listen to the whole combination to decide for yourself. audio is very much down to personal preferenece and subjective. so really what might be to my preference may not be to yours

the av7005 is also a bit long in the tooth now and a replacement is due by the end of the year...

good luck in your search :)

Thanks for the welcome Caf.

Interesting what you say about the Rotel, brightness isn't what I'm after at all. I don't have an amp yet, I only ordered the speakers last week so they're still being made. We're moving house in a month, so the speakers should be ready around then. I was hoping to get the amp etc. by then - but of course the issue there is that I won't be able to trial the gear on the speakers. I may have to wait.

What amp set-up are you running (separates, valve etc.?)

G'day Al, thanks for the reply. Good spot on the Rotel amp, I didn't pay attention! I'll look at what else they have. Also, thanks for letting me know of the due replacement for the Marantz. I do a bit of a Pepsi challenge with the equipment when I narrow the list and, if the Marantz is still there, then will definetely look at the new release.

What amp set-up are you running (separates, valve etc.?)

Well, that really depends on when you ask, I've got a bit on an "integrated thing" going on (and on, and on, and on...) and I haven't paid much attention to surround sound for a while now. You have a sub, and the Eclipses are easy to drive and rather efficient so you won't need (but you may still want) a massive amount of power so you should be able to pick and choose from as wide a variety as you want. I would urge you to trial listen first, if Greg is still making your speakers he will probably run them in for you if you ask, he's pretty accomodating and a good fellow to deal with. His Consonance A2 and A3 power amps are a good choice for home theartre, for music I would think you might want something a bit more resolving though. Marantz have a particular sound to, if you know it and like it then your choice is easy, if you don't know it I would urge you to try before you buy. I wouldn't be too afraid about mixing and matching either, unless you want features like advanced trigger functions.

Yeah, just keen to do the speakers justice.

He's running them in for about 20 hours. He's certainly accommodating, even saying I can borrow an amp for a short while to try at home.

Marantz have a particular sound to - to be honest I haven't even heard Marantz yet, just getting an idea for what's out there. Am starting to think getting away from mainstream will be better to get the most out of the speakers.

Hi

Exciting to have all those speakers on their way!

I have the Eclipse Towers, a C2 and E2's. Don't have a sub.

I bought it after I have bought a Yamaha RXV 2067. It is rated at 130 w per channel. It is a fantastic processor and I have a lot of things connected to it. The music is not that good though. I am listening to music through Consonance valve amps - 2 channel

There is a guy in the USA J Peter Moncrieff. Greg refers to him as this guy reckons his Grand Monument Speakers are the best in the world. Anyway Mr Moncrieff also reckons Arcam AVR's are the best. See his reviews on the Arcams. There are second hand ones for sale in Australia and the US. The second hand ones unfortunately may not be that new and may not have HDMI connection.

I have only heard my Yamaha AVR on my Osborns, but I have heard several integrated amps on them.

G'day Jv, thanks for the post. Exciting? HELL YEAH!! So you got the towers, nice. Interesting that you put a Yammie in with them. There's so much info out there, and opinions are varied as well. I am starting to look away from the Marantz & Rotel mainly based on advice I've received so far. You obviously seem happy with the set-up. It's something I hadn't thought about, an AVR and separate amp for music. Greg sells the Consonance valves, so he wouldn't do that if it wasn't quality. I'm not sold just yet, not that I doubt his recommendation for a second, but I don't know a great deal about hifi to start with, but valve amps I know absolutely nothing! I like the look of the valves though...

Thanks for mentioning the Arcam's. Are you suggesting an Arcam AVR by itself, or Arcam AVR and separate amp for the fronts?

Kaynin

I am in Alice Springs so I either have to buy and try or have to listen when I am on a trip to one of the cities, which happens about 4 times a year. I was inactive in hifi etc till February last year when I went to Harvey Norman and Bought a Yamaha (small one) and Krix speakers for HT and music. The Yamaha lasted three days - I went back and bought the top of the range. And then upgrade sickness started, I bought more and better Krix speakers and a second hand Linn system then ran 3 systems. The Yamaha and Krix, The Linn with old AR speakers and my first set which is Denon amp, Rotel turntable and Rotel CD and JPW speakers. I heard of Greg, visited him and then at the Melbourne show my wife said yes to Osborn Speakers. Since then I have sold the Linn system and all the Krix speakers (to help pay for the Osborn stuff).

I have never listened to valve amps before I heard them at Greg and then at the HI Fi show.

I bought Osborn speakers, cables and Opera amps because I could hear it all together and it works - the guys here talk about synergy. My wife likes the sound as well.

Since I got the nice speakers and valve amps I struggle listening to music on the Yamaha. Background, mp3's etc are ok, but when I want to listen to my nice music I just don't get the emotion.

I am still working on my options.

Mixing an AVR and valve power amps is not an easy option - mine has developed that way. Think about: Valve life, no remote, in theory you need three amps to match your centre channel, etc. Long term I think I will go processor and poweramp/s. My reason is that I have one set of speakers that I want to share between the AVR and the valve amps and that I don't want my children to use the valve amps.

My tips are:

• Search this forum, there are posts about Rotel, Integra, Emotiva, Arcam, Elektra, Halcro
  • See what you can find used: this forum, other relevant forums, ebay
  • Try to listen to gear on your speakers and buy what you like
  • There may be members here or other people with Osborn speakers and HT amps where you could possibly go to listen.

The Arcams I have read about are just AVR's (AVR300, AVR 350, AVR 600).

Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice Jv, I appreciate it.

I had never heard of Greg's gear before the home show a couple of weeks ago. My wife and I were going to walk past the room he was in, but as we were browsing for equipment at the time I said, "Eh, why not?". Obviously I was impressed, and the wife asked Greg "Does it come in white gloss?" he said, "Yes", so wife said, "Okay, let's get them".

The drawbacks of the valve pretty much rule it out for me, I prefer to be able to set and leave the equipment.

I'm always happy to search these forums for advice, already i'm come across brands that I've never heard of, and feel confident I'll find what i want. Hopefully. I really can't afford to catch the upgrade sickness!

Thanks again.

This is what I do:

My music system goes through my integrated 2-channel amp (a JTLi KT-88 Mk2). My AV system goes through a Marantz AV receiver, powering my centre and rears. The analogue outs for the front speakers feed the AV in (equivalent) of my JTLi, so my JTLi drives the fronts. Because I use a REL sub, I can feed it from the same terminals as the front speakers on the JTLi, while concurrently supplying .1 AV sub data from the .1 out of the AV receiver.

Hope that helps for ideas.

Cheers

Warren

If your only interested in powering the front 2 from a power amp, i have a Rotel RB1080 for $700 in the classifieds.

Stuff all money for the amp you get really

I ran mine from the pre outs on my Denon 4308, was a very nice easy combo. The thing with the amp being integrated with your HT is you want to be able to make it as easy as possible. Something with a trigger option to power on when the AVR powers on is awesome. I cant do that anymore, and as such i don't listen to tv through my speakers. Likewise with using a integrated without HT bypass, you have to change the volume to 12 o clock every time you swap between music and TV

You've got to weigh up the easy of use against the sound from valves. I love them but they just dont integrate as nicely ime

• Like 1

Hi

There are so many alternatives. Your previous question refers, re 5 channel amp. The latest AVR's do at least 7.1 channels. What some of us do is to use the AVR to do all the channels except the front left and right. Check out Eastwood HiFi - $1700 you can get a really good yamaha AVR that can do all the channels, sub, second zone etc. etc. Then you can add a valve amp (with effort) or another solid state power amp (or even an integrated amp) for the 2 front channels.

You have not told us what you use as a DVD/CD/Blue Ray player - that has some effect on these things too

Hi Kaynin,

Welcome ,you have some nice speakers on the way , and 2 chan sound quality is important.

I,d recommend an above average AVR with pre outs for front channels(others here can help) as I run all separates and tubes etc.

Then later add an intergated 2 chan amp with HT bypass to drive front left and right to improve 2 chan and HT .

To get the best 2chan sound , 1, 2 chan pre, good source ,2 chan amp,

2nd best, good source,intergrated 2chan amp .(1&2 no AVR)

3rd,as above but with an AVR pre out ,stereo amp, or integrated amp driving front 2 chans

4th, Avr for all channels .

2 or 3 is your best option for HT you need an Avr to decode 5.1 and multiple inputs HDmi etc.

Ps, tubes are not at all hard to run for HT/2 chan that later may be another option later.

Cheers

Jv - thanks for the eastwood link. I've had a look already. I was looking to have my PS3 as the CD/DVD etc. hooked up through the amp to TV.

G'day vic - I never realised there are so many options to set things up. I thought is was, say, 2 different ways and that was it. That's the benefit of these forums of course! I was considering the Emotiva XPA-5. This is a 5 channel amp, and also running a 7.1 AVR. Would I need a 5 channel amp, or just 2 channel amp for the fronts?

Kaynin

Emotiva - I dont know how it wil run the sub, but it will do 5 channels. You have 7.1 so you will need an extra amp for the front left and right. You can do another emotiva or something better.

Make sure you understand what Emotiva is doing at the moment. They have a processor that does not do 3d that is being replaced with one that does. Currently they are sellin the UMC for $499. the replacement is an XMC for $1,499.

if you take the latter and add a XPA 5 for $900 you will have about $1,000 to $1500 for the front two channels. You can do that with another emotiva 2 channel amp, but I woyuld go for a rega Brio R, an exposure 2010 or a Moon i1/250, or a good 2 channel power amp. Or even a valve amp .

So many choices!

All the best

I have listen to both the Marantz AV7005 & MM7055 as well as the Rotel 1570 & 1575.

The Marantz was far better for HT and has more feature, the Rotel sounded better for music.

I preferred the the 1575 over the MM7055, but i do like D class amps.

I am currently using the AV7005 with the Rotel 1575 and im very happy with the results.

I don't use this setup for music,for 2ch i'm running a Dac with HT bypass with mono blocks to drive my mains.

Always best to go a listen yourself as everyone's taste is different.

If your only interested in powering the front 2 from a power amp, i have a Rotel RB1080 for $700 in the classifieds.

Stuff all money for the amp you get really

I ran mine from the pre outs on my Denon 4308, was a very nice easy combo. The thing with the amp being integrated with your HT is you want to be able to make it as easy as possible. Something with a trigger option to power on when the AVR powers on is awesome. I cant do that anymore, and as such i don't listen to tv through my speakers. Likewise with using a integrated without HT bypass, you have to change the volume to 12 o clock every time you swap between music and TV

You've got to weigh up the easy of use against the sound from valves. I love them but they just dont integrate as nicely ime

Similar to what I do. I got a Rotel Power amp and a Luxman pre amp for music. For HT i use a Yamaha a/v. I have a Marantx mono block for the center channel and the a/v basically only powers the rears. When doing HT, the pre amp must be set to 12 o clock..

Rgds

Is it still worth considering the emotiva range these days? Their power amps still seem to represent best value for money as far as watts per dollar goes. I haven't heard too much about their proccesors though, however as mentioned they are coming out with a new one. IMO though the new one is over priced, i have nothing to base this on spec or performance wise, simply comparing it against their current and previous pricing on their equipment, the new one at $1500 before shipping seems quite high. That money will buy a pre-pro from the likes of Marantz, NAD ect, so it makes me wonder.

Though if your not doing 3d the cheaper ones represents somewhat of a bargain at it's current pricing. Can anyone comment on how emotives version of auto calibration compares against the like of Audyssey?

Edited by Bus_Boy