Sign in to follow this  
twwen2

Standmount Speakers: An Addict's Guide

I heard a pair of these the other day when I actually went to listen to their larger brothers from another series. I won't steal Tom's thunder and undermine his truly excellent work but anyone looking for some genuine monitors of premium quality, I urge you to check these out.

These were deeply impressive and as soon as I get some spare cash, I intend on buying a pair to sit alongside whatever floor standing speakers I buy next,although it might be a fair while yet.

http://kef.com/html/.../LS50/overview/

They look absolutely gorgeous!

Love reading this thread!

Have you auditioned AE1 Mk2 by any chance. I love it with my ME850.

They look absolutely gorgeous!

I am hoping to be able to get a loan of these in the near future to see how they work in a medium sized room, but what intrigued me was the voicing and tonality of the speaker, it was just amazing :)

I am hoping to be able to get a loan of these in the near future to see how they work in a medium sized room, but what intrigued me was the voicing and tonality of the speaker, it was just amazing :)

what was the RR on those Rantan?

USD $1500 or GBP 800. Not sure what AUD RRP will be though.

GBP 800 + GBP 80 shipping and you'll land them for just under AUD $1400.

Edit: I have since made some inquiries and KEF is restricting exports - the UK dealers won't touch international buyers.

Edited by twwen2

Anyone rate the KEF R100?

That's the other option, and one I'd very much like to try out. I've eard very good things about the entire R series. Sadly, I've never seen them sold as ex-demo, let alone on the used market.

Hi mate.

As Jeffro says, the RRP is $2K, but it is quite easy to get $200-300 off that price.

Cheers all -2 K serious $$ however something to keep a lookout for going forward - I should expand a little - I am happy with my floor standers however two friends of mine are in the market for upgrade to their stand mounts - so I have been following the thread with interest and tracking possible for them. I thought one was ready to pull the trigger however it looks likely after x-mas now. Still no harm in getting together an audition list.

Thanks to all for the info and keep the excellent reviews coming.

Love reading this thread!

Have you auditioned AE1 Mk2 by any chance. I love it with my ME850.

Thanks for the encouragement! Funnily enough, I actually had the pleasure of listening to some Acoustic Energy floorstanders just last night - a very similar design to the smaller AE1 but I'm not sure of the exact model. They were partnered with some of the latest Cyrus gear and I found them to be wonderfully smooth and clean over the entire frequency spectrum. If the AE1's share that sound I'm sure they would be great speakers, especially with an amp like the ME850 up their backside!

Edited by twwen2

I'm currently running your old NAD 3020 with a pair of RX1 and looking at my next upgrade. How did you find the rega brio-r with the RX2?

I'm currently running your old NAD 3020 with a pair of RX1 and looking at my next upgrade. How did you find the rega brio-r with the RX2?

The MA RX2 write-up is in the works, but not before a few others are done first. I will say now that it won't be nearly as positive as the reviews so far. However, it is definitely a personal preference thing and was also due in part to a bad match-up in my room. I'll explain more soon or feel free to PM me in the meantime.

Apologies all, I've been a bit slack over the last week but the next review is coming soon. :thumb:

Edited by twwen2

Really enjoying your write ups here. Happy to lend you some quad 12ls if you'd like to have a listen some time-they are in your ball park i think.

Keep up the good work