Standmount Speakers: An Addict's Guide

Hi Twwen2, thanks for your speedy response.

Glad you have reached your goal with your system but I'm also glad it took you a while to acheive it otherwise we wouldn't have this thread of fantastic reviews!! :thumb:

Interesting view on the bass of the DB1i's. Although the majority of reviews/opinions really like the bass from these, you're not the first to mention the transmission line not being to your taste. Just goes to show how priceless demoing is!!

Here (England), as they've both now been superseded, the Motive 3's (now £600/$1100 Aus) and the DB1i's (now £800/$1500 Aus) are going relatively cheap (for example, Motive 3 now the same price as B&W CM1's). Given this price bracket, and your comment in your review, I'm curious whether the Motive 3's would still be your favoured choice?

Thanks!!

Thanks again for the swift response.

With the speakers being discontinued they are few and far between for getting demo's (and not sure I can stretch budget-wise to their replacements) so is great to get some feedback, especially from someone with similar musical tastes, before hunting some down for demo's.

The LS50's are also on my list, together with Leema Xero's, Excite X14's, Majik 109's to name a few, though not sure whether I like the LS50's aesthetically but, if they sound good enough, this is a minor problem.

Thanks again!! ;)

Hi Gracol,

there are many excellent speakers out there, starting on a small budget (my hit-list at this point in time):

Alesis Monitor1 MK2, Usher S-520/2,  Quad Classic 11, Epos varies models, Leema Xero and KEF LS50.

With a bit more pocket money listen to ATC SCM 7 &11, MAD 1920, PMC twenty 21 and 22, Elac 403 (a friend of mine just bought one and is rapped), Tannoys DC6 & DC8, and varies ProAcs.

Hey, what a beautiful hobbie we share.... :)

Good luck,

cheers Moonstone 

Edited by Moonstone

Thanks Moonstone for the various suggestions, a couple of which I hadn't considered.

I hope to start auditioning over the coming weeks/months so am looking forward to the journey!

@Bodhi - for what its worth, I see this as a review thread from someone who has been in the fortunate position to be able to possess and test numerous standmount speakers and has been kind enough to document his observations/opinions for us. Very helpful!!  :thumb: 

• Like 1

@Bodhi - for what its worth, I see this as a review thread from someone who has been in the fortunate position to be able to possess and test numerous standmount speakers and has been kind enough to document his observations/opinions for us. Very helpful!!  :thumb:

+1.

With respect to Bodhi, I can't see how it could be viewed any other way.

It was great following TWW's speaker adventures and getting some very well written and entertaining reviews along the way. This is the type of content that makes SNA so interesting IMHO :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I am listening to a pair of Qacoustics 2020i's that I purchased yesterday. I am yet to read a bad review of them. So let me get the all of the standard stuff out of the way first:

Bang for buck in a small speaker for a very crowded market with more and more exceptional speakers for the price being offered to the discerning public......

This speaker punches above it's weight.....

Workmanship and design are extraordinary at this price.

I hooked it up to my reference system not that your are likely to do the same, but connecting it to my reference system that costs about a gazillion dollars the two way this small box performed exceptionally well and gave my hundred thousand dollar speakers a run for their money.......

Connecting it to a more moderate entry level amp that these kind of speakers are intended for, the speakers still performed extremely well and the price is ridiculous and they could proudly compete with their head held high with speakers three times the price.......

But of course bass extension for such a small enclosure is limited but nevertheless the bass is convincing and does not suffer from the mid bass hump.......

That's most of the cliches out of the way I think.

My impression, they kill the Usher S520 hands down, they go deep and smooth, sound stage is just beautiful, female vocals are exquisite as is percussion and drums. I always like the way my Magnepan SMG's did piano I also liked the way my Paradigm Atom V3's did piano, but the 2020i's DO piano. I powered them with my Pioneer VSX D1S, but I prefer them with my moderately priced Cambridge Audio 651A integrated amplifier, also recently acquired.

I have my normal collection of test CD's and the speakers along with my heightened concentration allowed me to hear new and different things.

I got the graphite version at $365.00 the pair. I am a very happy man.

Worth a listen. No really, they are worth a listen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

tween2, I've just read most of your review thread, great fun there mate.

Was cool to see your system develop over time too.  I've thought of starting an "addicted to floorstanders" thread, but don't have the cash flow to push 10 pairs through the doors.  Perhaps you'd care to get started on that thread for me/us, now you're into a bigger room?

Thanks for the read.

edit: and the introduction to Angus Stone.

Edited by peacewise

Twenn2, agree with you on the C1s. Just upgraded from the Focus 160s and haven't looked back; the Focus are an amazing standmounter too.

The C1 produce a deep bass that I've not heard from any other standmounter but do need some volume to really come together and sound their best.

Edited by sdave

• 4 years later...

Just read much of this excellent thread for the first time and thought it was worth a bump for those who don't know this thread exists and are considering what secondhand stand mounts to buy. 

There are some excellent reviews by Twwen, well worth a read.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well Terry, the bump worked. Unlike you though, I went straight to the back of this thread to see what Twwen2 thought if the Dynaudio C1. And unlike Twwen2, I didn't go through 10 or so different speakers but bought the C1 straight away. I've been listening to mine since the start of this thread 4 years ago. No regrets!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pim said:

Well Terry, the bump worked. Unlike you though, I went straight to the back of this thread to see what Twwen2 thought if the Dynaudio C1. And unlike Twwen2, I didn't go through 10 or so different speakers but bought the C1 straight away. I've been listening to mine since the start of this thread 4 years ago. No regrets!

You driving them with a Devialet?

13 hours ago, Tony B said:

You driving them with a Devialet?

Yes. First a 170, which upgraded to 200 + Speaker Active Matching via a firmware upgrade. Then Original d' Atelier. And that's now been upgraded to 1000 Pro status. Just imagine having more than 1250 Watt into 4 Ohm available for these little speakers. The bass coming out of them is sensational for a stand mount.

2 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yes. First a 170, which upgraded to 200 + Speaker Active Matching via a firmware upgrade. Then Original d' Atelier. And that's now been upgraded to 1000 Pro status. Just imagine having more than 1250 Watt into 4 Ohm available for these little speakers. The bass coming out of them is sensational for a stand mount.

Wow! Very nice indeed. Can I ask what percentage you run SAM at with that much grunt? 

4 minutes ago, Tony B said:

Wow! Very nice indeed. Can I ask what percentage you run SAM at with that much grunt? 

100%. I actually bought the C1's as an interim (Yeah really) speaker when we were still in our older and smaller living room. We've now moved into the new section of the house and its almost 12m x 7m with a raked ceiling. A room with that much volume can easily deal with the bass coming from the C1's. Hence the need for an upgrade.

One of the great properties of SAM is that the woofers are protected from blowing them up. Because they go a lot lower in frequency and therefore have more cone excursion, SAM's 'nanny' kicks in if you turn it up so loud that you could damage the woofers. It used to kick in too early with SAM version 1. To a point that if you really wanted mohave fun you had to turn SAM off. Version 2 is much better that way. I have to say though, SAM made quite a difference in the bass with the 200 but now with the Od'A there's so much bass already, SAM isn't really needed. It's just nice to know someone is looking after my woofers in case I get carried away with the volume knob a bit ;)

• 4 years later...

Hi @twwen2, I have just seen your for sale of the Heritage specials and saw the C1 in the background.  Then found this thread.  Given it looks like you are keeping the C1 over the Heritage, was wondering what your thoughts are on C1 vs Heritage and whether you might provide a fellow Dyn fan with the low down on the differences between them.  MTIA.

I’ve had a few people ask this question, so here’s how I summarised it to someone else recently:

The Heritage Specials are very very good, but they're voiced quite differently to the C1's; they go deeper, are more open and unrestrained through the upper mids, and more expansive in the treble. The C1's have a bit more midbass "bop" in my room, a nice warm midrange which I love, and while I still think the treble is detailed, it's not as expressive as the new Esotar3 on the HS.

The Heritage Specials are the more capable speaker and represent Dynaudio's new direction (in terms of sound - not cosmetics!), but I really like the way the C1's go about things - they're just so listenable and fuss-free. I've had a few "Wow" moments with the Heritage Specials - they do things that the C1's can't. But the C1's have never annoyed me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Standmounts with Purifi 4 inch woofer and Bliesma highs for use with outboard x-over, amps and sub: www.sunaudio.com

Measurements are looking very good (Olive rating 9.2 with sub and eq):

https://dev.spinorama.org/speakers/SunAudio Purified 4/SunAudio/index_vendor.html

I can imagine a neat 3-way active setup with a miniDSP Flex HT and Dirac Live Bass Control.🙂

SunAudio%20Purified%204.webp

Edited by goosebumps
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! what a load of fannying around to listen to music. No derision or personal critisism intended here @goosebumps, it's obvious you have the enthusiasm, knowledge and a love of technical tweeking that leads you to your desires but jeez! just gimme plug and play please.

You may of course call me a lazy dunderhead who can't be arse'd to put in the effort to get good sound but I don't do too bad with my slothism. And I have plenty of time to listen to music rather than fiddling.