Another Troels Gravesen's DTQWT Project Build

Sierra

35 minutes ago, evil c said:

Yeah good memories being assailed by the Troels, looks like you still haven't replaced the plinth on the Technics TT @Sierra !

Are those blocks of wood for the project still in the corner? ?

@evil c The Technics plinth is still a work in progress ... albeit not much progress I must admit ... 

Meanwhile the Jarrah blocks are "seasoning" nicely ... :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sierra said:

@evil c The Technics plinth is still a work in progress ... albeit not much progress I must admit ... 

Meanwhile the Jarrah blocks are "seasoning" nicely ... :P

I knew it!! ?

Sadly distracted by other passions, with a dose of procrastination thrown in. 

All been there !,?

Edited by evil c

7 minutes ago, evil c said:

I knew it!! ?

Sadly distracted by other passions, with a dose of procrastination thrown in. 

All been there !,?

Other passions have taken precedence this is true ... 2020 is the year that it needs to get done.

Hi @Sierra, great to hear these are going well - 2012 seems like a lifetime ago.

I love the way your Jarrah has kept its redness, and the contrast with the pale "Tas Oak" (gum trees). The stuff we are sold under that name down here is more orange-brown, I think more like your side veneer. The eucalypts that grow above my house have this nice pale yellow colour; you did well I think. (Don't use it for fence posts though - they rot out in 5 years). This pic is from your first page, nearly 8 years ago, and they look even redder now. (In contrast, my myrtle has faded from red to a non-descript brown).

There was some lovely work going on here. Pity it's on the inside ?, but good to know it's all still there.

post-103929-0-42610000-1349160567_thumb.

Hey @BioBrian ... Yes mate they are still going well.

If I really like something I tend to hang onto it ... and these for me are a keeper.

Both the timbers have darkened over time ... the Jarrah doesn't quite have the redness that it originally had and the Tassie Oak has shifted to a more yellowish hue.
The Tassie Oak veneer has changed in the same way as the solid timber on the front baffle so they blend nicely and look coherent.

A slightly better pic of the color change below.

And considering they sit in the lounge room where it gets full sun in the afternoons (not direct) they have held up very well.

Shame about your myrtle fading though.

DTQWT.jpg

• Like 7

Lovely to see this thread again. I built my MkII version about five-six years ago.

A few years ago I pulled them apart and put the drivers/xovers into storage before a home renovation. I had always thought I would have another go at the cabinets one day. The first effort, made out of baltic ply, was quite pleasant, but still pretty rudimentary.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/DTQWT-David-AU.htm

My woodworking skills have improved in the last few years, so I'm thinking I'll go again with a view to making them "lifers". No plans yet, but will approach as a woodworking project more than a speaker build. 

Just need to finish a planked-timber kayak kit I promised my son, then this will be the next project. Will keep you posted.

• Like 2

On 06/02/2020 at 3:35 PM, camross said:

I am after 2 Eminence Deltalite II 2512s for the Mk111 kit build but all the Australian suppliers are out of stock. Does anyone know a good supplier overseas that will ship to Australia? 

I bought my Deltalite's from US Speaker.

They do not ship to Australia so I had to use an on-forwarder ... pretty painless experience.

Delta 1a.JPG

Delta 1.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

All parts in and construction started for the DTQWT-mk111 single 12 inch driver. I was unhappy with fins at the rear so have decided to make make the circular just around the woofer as per the below diagram. I am still working on the feet as I still haven't seen a design that I am sold on, the speakers will be going on concrete so no need for a secondary base.  

image.png.d7623e987473e3fcc2f110610c3a1794.png

Basic Dry fit of cabinets today screwed together the screws will be removed before final veneering.  The scale is much better than my extremely large speakers I have now. waiting for a few router bits so I can do all internal speaker hole chamfers  and  front driver panel.

IMG_9141.thumb.jpg.3f26e7ac60e734d94a32308f9752b013.jpg

IMG_9143.thumb.jpg.01293d952b23b02fe0f0a2602f78fdd4.jpgIMG_9144.thumb.jpg.176c42d4cc910fc623248a19d4c4eac0.jpgIMG_9145.thumb.jpg.64d8275f9ae913278d9f51862dd6e301.jpgIMG_9143.thumb.jpg.01293d952b23b02fe0f0a2602f78fdd4.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

First coat of oil today should be able to fit front and rear Paper rock panels tomorrow maybe drivers on the weekend anticipation rising. Pretty happy with the rear 12 inch woofer detail, a bit a a pain to do and execution isn't perfect but good enough. 

2020-04-01 16.39.33.jpg

2020-04-01 16.40.04.jpg

2020-04-01 15.56.07.jpg

• Like 5

Finally wired them all up today and running them in now. looking forward to getting them home to my full system, after a few weeks here at the workshop.

Still not sure on what to de withe the feet.

2020-04-05 12.54.43.jpg

2020-04-05 10.05.55.jpg

2020-04-05 12.54.47.jpg

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Sierra said:

They look awesome ... great work.
What veneer did you use?

Thanks It was some left over  Eucalypt veneer probably Mountain Ash. Coated with a Matt hard wax.  I am particularly happy with re woofer flairs looks a lot better than the fanged rails on the original design but a bit trickier to achieve.

2020-04-07 05.47.42.jpg

2020-04-07 05.47.38.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, camross said:

woofer flairs looks

I like them too - the 3D-ness of them. I imagine quite difficult to pull off, but well worth the effort.

Hope they sound good too; I haven't heard a stepped-baffle version.

And I do like your shed.

On 07/04/2020 at 10:06 AM, Tony ray said:

Great work Cam. Loving the flairs.

Giving them a fair work out in my small office all week turning them up when I leave to wander the workshop. Must have about 30 hours of music into them by now.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 5:54 AM, camross said:

Thanks It was some left over  Eucalypt veneer probably Mountain Ash. Coated with a Matt hard wax.  I am particularly happy with re woofer flairs looks a lot better than the fanged rails on the original design but a bit trickier to achieve.

2020-04-07 05.47.42.jpg

2020-04-07 05.47.38.jpg

The veneer looks stunning.