dwbc

HiFace 2 vs Asus Xonar Essence ST

Hi,

With my fairly limited budget to build a new media PC, the choice of a transport has come down to either of the two devices which I will connect using a Coax digital cable .

Has anyone done a comparison between the two, or would share their thought?

Ta.

Are you going to be using if for video or just audio? I've read that the Hiface can introduce a delay so that the audio will be out of sync with the video. This may only be with the mac driver though.

I have the Essence STX card and it is a very, very good digital source. I prefer it to the JKSPDIF, which uses a HiFace. I believe the ST and STX are the same with the exception of one being PCI and the other PCI-E.

@automated - thanks for the heads up. I am using it primarily for audio, but it is worthwhile keeping that in mind. At least I wouldn't be too surprised when it happens....

@twwen2 - Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have gone ahead and bought a HiFace2 and will see how I go. It certainly was a hard choice (for me anyways) between the two. Looking forward for it to arrive at the door.........

Edited by dwbc

I'd be surprised if there were an audio delay with the hiface 2 as no custom drivers are required. 😃

I think it's more of a problem when used on iMacs.

I don't think the audio delay with the hiface v1 is unique to os x......or is it? Anyone use one with Windows able to confirm?

No, the audio delay is also on Windows but it is just larger on OS X, AFAIK.

I found slight delay in audio while using hiface v1. As I use the system to play back some recorded TV programs as well as music, it was enough to scratch the idea and look for something else.

I had a much better result with the V-link II. I reckon it does better than the ST my mate has, but that wasn't a direct comparison.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mtan002
      Item: Asus Xonar Essence STX PCIE Original version
      Price: $100 + $10 postage
      Item Condition: Perfectly working 
      Reason for selling: Using onboard audio (Purity Sound) 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Bank transfer
      Extra Info:
      This is the original version of the Asus Xonar Essence STX.
      This is used but it's in perfectly working condition. Physically there is normal wear and tear and 1 missing screw on the back (top right corner).
      More details of the item can be found here:  https://www.asus.com/au/Essence-Hi-Fi-Audio/Xonar_Essence_STX/specifications/

Pictures:

• By scottath
      Hey all,

Im looking in the near future to upgrade some of the source of my current audio system and to downsize my computers physical footprint and ongoing power usage, and so the Xonar is likely to become excluded.

Thus my thoughts turned to replace it with a DAC.

Current setup:

Computer output (CD>FLAC/mp3/youtube/increasingly Google Play/whatever) > Xonar D2x > SVS PB1000 sub crossed at 80hz > Swan T200B

Computer output (CD>FLAC/mp3/youtube/increasingly Google Play/whatever) > Xonar D2x > Shure SRH440

Eventual long term plan is to augment the system with something like the now discontinued Emotiva UMC-200 for a small HT setup.

Existing Swan T200B's as Fronts | Existing Swan D1080 MKII as Rears | Purchase an additional active speaker as a center | Existing PB1000 as sub.

Current budget is <$1k AUD, as usual the cheaper the better. 

Looking to find something that is diverse for its inputs, probably optical, coaxial, usb and an aux input.

If it was suitable as an headphone amp also thats a bonus (for when i eventually buy some new headphones), or act as a network renderer also like an Auralic Aries, so i could remove the computer element too it'd be extra awesome.

I was looking at the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies for a while, but decided they were too expensive when the primary goal is a DAC, not an Amp - that being said, if there is an option that is aesthetically pleasing as the fireflies, it'd be extra icing on the cake. Ive read up stacks on units like the Bifrost, and have information overload from the stacks of models/brands...

Was thinking of onboard sound card > Optical/coaxial > DAC > (Eventually receiver/preamp) > Speakers

I know im asking far too much of the budget, and im not expecting to get everything for this however, at least start down the path with probably the DAC element.

Also happy to be told its a stupid idea and to go in another direction.

Thanks all

- scottath.

• By xtrachewy
      * Item: ASUS M51KR-AS007C 15.4 inch Black Notebook
      * Item condition: Excellent, complete with ASUS AC adaptor/power cable, computer bag and product manual
      * Price: $240
      * Reason for selling: surplus to need (migrated to Apple Macbook)
      * Payment Methods: Paypal, Cash / Pickup, Australia Post COD or bank deposit
      * More Info:  

AMD Turion TL-60 Processor (2.00 GHz) 
      2GB DDR2 RAM 

250GB SATA HDD, DVD+/-RW Dual Layer drive 

15.4 inch HD (1440 x 900) display 

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 (256MB dedicated) 

10/100/1000 LAN, 802.11 a/b/g/n WLAN. Modem, Bluetooth 

High Definition Audio, Webcam, Digital Media Card reader, FingerPrint reader 

1x DVI, 1x VGA, 4x USB, 1x Firewire, 1x RJ-45, 1x RJ-11 

Windows Vista Home Premium 2007 Service Pack 2 installed
    • By remii
      So I have a whole bunch of stuff lying around that would be far better loved in the homes of other people.
      Priority given to local buyers -- but that's not to say shipping interstate is out of the question. Call me lazy, whatever

Wharfedale Diamond SW150 Sub
      Price: $250.00
      Item Condition: A
      Reason for selling: Underutilised
      Extra Info: Ripper sub for the money. Tight, great for music and still able to shake the sills of my (admittedly old) house. The picture of the rear panel is the way I have run it -- not driven hard at all. 
      5* What HiFi review

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Standmount Speakers
      Price: $SOLD$
      Item Condition: B+
      Reason for selling: Never used
      Extra Info: These were meant to be the rear fill in my short lived home theatre plan. I ended up sticking with pure two channel and use the 9.5 floorstanders from the same series. They're a B+ due to the small scratch on the rear (pictured) and they have no grills. They were damaged in transit and I'm personally not a fan of them anyway.

Asus Xonar STX
      Price: $SOLD$
      Item Condition: A
      Reason for selling: I now have a Mini-ITX system
      Extra Info: This thing is the bomb. Ripper DAC and headphone amp whilst being incredibly gamer friendly. Sadly, Mini-ITX boards only have a single PCI Express slot, which is taken up by my graphics card. PC Case Gear are selling this for $170 + shipping. So it's a bargain way to enter the world of PC based HiFi.

Thanks for looking