Technics 1200 Project - Suggestions

Gday Guys,

Well I recently came across a good condition Technics 1200 mk2 for cheap from a good friend of mine. It is in original condition and has had some DJ and general play use, a few cosmetic marks on it but everything seems to run fine. I will be looking at getting it serviced in Perth as step 1, so far I've found on place online called Ettric Audio Visual, has any one had any experience with them or can recommend any one else?

Mainly, I am looking for tone arm suggestions for it, I'm currently eyeing out something from Origin Live, perhaps the Zephyr, or an SME 309. I was looking at the wand arm for a little while, while it does seem to be very good value for money, and it looks quite spiffy in my opinion, I think I'd miss having a cue lever and a little handle to pick the arm up with to much.

I will be using my current 2M Black on it, so good matches to that cart would be very welcome. I'll also end up chucking a Herbies Mat on it as I love the one on my current Rega and probably won't switch for a very long time - if ever.

The other upgrades I'm looking at is the Platter, PSU and bearing uprgrades. However, I think I'm a little iffy about these, as they are pricy but I'm unsure of the real sonic benefits of these upgrades, any insight would be appreciated.

All suggestions are welcome, so don't be shy!

Cheers,

Sam

PS: Once everything has been decided, I will post an upgrade log with some pics and give my opinions vs the Rega.

Edited by Sam1

I'd contact Mike New for any upgrade advice on the SL1200. He's the guru although I'm sure you've already found his site/products from the mods you're talking about. He's in NSW.

Hey mate,

I have seen his gear, I'll be honest, I think I will go to Sound HiFi for the bearing and mounting plates, Mike's look great, but I don't think I'm prepared to spend that much, we'll see how it goes.

I am just reading through the manual of the SME 309, I noticed they have an alignment protractor that comes with the arm for setup - I currently use a Mint LP with my RB301, would it be worth getting one for the 309?

Cheers,

Sam

Gday Guys,

Well I recently came across a good condition Technics 1200 mk2 for cheap from a good friend of mine. It is in original condition and has had some DJ and general play use, a few cosmetic marks on it but everything seems to run fine. I will be looking at getting it serviced in Perth as step 1, so far I've found on place online called Ettric Audio Visual, has any one had any experience with them or can recommend any one else?

Mainly, I am looking for tone arm suggestions for it, I'm currently eyeing out something from Origin Live, perhaps the Zephyr, or an SME 309. I was looking at the wand arm for a little while, while it does seem to be very good value for money, and it looks quite spiffy in my opinion, I think I'd miss having a cue lever and a little handle to pick the arm up with to much.

I will be using my current 2M Black on it, so good matches to that cart would be very welcome. I'll also end up chucking a Herbies Mat on it as I love the one on my current Rega and probably won't switch for a very long time - if ever.

The other upgrades I'm looking at is the Platter, PSU and bearing uprgrades. However, I think I'm a little iffy about these, as they are pricy but I'm unsure of the real sonic benefits of these upgrades, any insight would be appreciated.

All suggestions are welcome, so don't be shy!

Cheers,

Sam

PS: Once everything has been decided, I will post an upgrade log with some pics and give my opinions vs the Rega.

If you're in Perth then Jason Boyd at Ultra Systems, 0414916916, is in IME the only technician worth considering. He is very highly regarded in the industry and will pick up and deliver at no additional cost.

Also his knowledge on all things hi-fi, including tonearms and cartridges is staggering!

Cheers, Pete.

Edited by flemo

If you're in Perth then Jason Boyd at Ultra Systems, 0414916916, is in IME the only technician worth considering. He is very highly regarded in the industry and will pick up and deliver at no additional cost.

Also his knowledge on all things hi-fi, including tonearms and cartridges is staggering!

Cheers, Pete.

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for that contact, I will give him a call. I wonder if he would be willing to install an external PSU for me? I've never soldered before and don't feel like stuffing something up :hiccup

Jeff Spall does a drop in replacement. He also rates the wheel of steel very highly as an upgradeable platform. IMO his tonearm is killer.

www.audiomods.co.uk

Hi Henry,

I was actually trying to find a link for this arm, I've read some really promising reviews - I think I saw a bloke a while ago who did a custom Rega style spinner and he used one of these. I think the reviews have sold me on this one over the SME.

Thanks very much for the suggestions everyone, I am taking notes, more suggestions are definitely welcome.

Thanks again,

Sam

any insight would be appreciated

I went a slightly different way with my Techie. Whilst I'd always thought of a new arm as a logical first step, by chance I actually got a Mike New bearing first and I'm so glad I did. It really minimised the mechanical noise and lifted the TT to a such a new level that I stopped considering a new arm and simply rewired the original arm with VdH silver and added a KAB damper. Not saying other arms might not ultimately be better but the standard arm bearings are superb, love the VTA adjustment, mid arm weight suits the MM carts that I use and together with the KAB damping, allows even high compliance carts to work very well. So a seemingly back to front upgrade order logic but it worked out well for me.

Money I saved on the arm then went to a Timestep ext PSU, Herbies mat, an AT weight and Isonoe feet and that's as far as my budget has allowed. The Herbies was worth every cent. However, if I had my time again, I wouldn't bother with the expense of an external PSU, merely move the existing PSU components apart from the regulator, outboard. Does require a bit of DIY skill but costs virtually nothing other than a case and there are a few sites that explain how. I really feel that relocation of components from under the platter was the main benefit of an external supply and frankly, it didn't give as much benefit as I'd hoped for the outlay. The Isonoe feet were worthwhile but not cheap so the first thing I'd recommend is investing in a good shelf and removing the dust cover during play to minimise airborne feedback. The Isonoe's are then the icing on the cake. Vantage feet may be a cheaper alternative and they also do well priced replacement bearings, platters etc, that I've read good reports on. However, personally I wouldn't swap my 'New' bearing for anything. :)

I had a Technics 1210m5g that I modified......mike new bearing , isonoe feet ,kab fluid damper ,zupreme headshell and sound hifi timestep psu.

By far and away the biggest improvement was with the bearing upgrade...........

I personally would not bother with the timestep power supply if I were you , average build quality , no on off switch , and very little improvement in sound quality......the isonoe feet , glass discs and sorbothane boots made more of an improvement than the psu change.

A few light mods like this makes for a very good turntable....I also never felt the need to change the arm , even when using a Lyra argo i cartridge it performed very well.

Glad to hear you got your hands on a techie mate.

I will be following this thread with interest as my stock techie (apart from the Shure M97xE) is asking for some mods.

Although still using the Cambridge 540p so need to upgrade the phono first.

Good luck mate and enjoy!

I had a Technics 1210m5g that I modified......mike new bearing , isonoe feet ,kab fluid damper ,zupreme headshell and sound hifi timestep psu.

By far and away the biggest improvement was with the bearing upgrade...........

I personally would not bother with the timestep power supply if I were you , average build quality , no on off switch , and very little improvement in sound quality......the isonoe feet , glass discs and sorbothane boots made more of an improvement than the psu change.

A few light mods like this makes for a very good turntable....I also never felt the need to change the arm , even when using a Lyra argo i cartridge it performed very well.

I also have a 1210 M5G that I went all KAB mods crazy on. It has the thick KAB mat, tonearm damper, KAB PSU, Strobe Disable, Zupreme Headshell. I have to agree the PSU has no audiable improvement for me. My last mod may very well be a decent bearing... interesting to hear the improvements a good bearing brings out.