My Classic Sony TC-765 Reel 2 Reel

I recently purchased a Classic Sony TC 765 Reel to Reel tape deck with many tapes to play classic 70s and 80s music

Based on info from the seller I will be the second owner

It will need some TLC externally as in a polish but overall it's in great condition

When tested - all worked OK however after the trip down from Noosa to my place in Brisbane it may have sustained some shaking to affect it on replay after connecting it up to my system

Every thing works like a charm and is quiet as a church mouse however it seems to have lost signal to the right channel

The VU meter also is not moving on that side

I have lived through the tape age and know about basic maintenance of these machines having used for some time a Revox back in the day

So far I have cleaned the heads and capstans ect that were relatively clean already

When I toggle the source to tape lever it crackles a little but does not activate into life the silent channel

So I am going to get some electronic cleaner in an aerosol can and after removing the panels give it a good clean to all the insides, while looking for loose wires, swollen capacitors ect

I am also calling on members that may provide information on spare parts source for them as they are hard to find apart from belt sets

Information also on heads that may be retrofitted from a similar model or different brand - just in case the playback head is the problem

Also any pimp my reel to reel info would be appreciated

P.S. I will post some photos soon

Yes, I'd try cleaning all switches and pots with a good contact cleaner/lubricant in the hopes that this simple measure solves the problem.

It did for me with an Akai M10 RTR that had almost identical symptoms (totally disabled right channel - rec, monitor, playback and VU meter) and it turned out to be dirty contacts in a stereo/mono switch.

Although I understand the configuration of that particular switch relates specifically to that model Akai, maybe your Sony has something a bit similar.

Good luck. :)

Just a progress update for all

Called in to a shop and purchased some CRC - CO Contact Electrical Cleaner

I then went home and pulled the covers off the Reel2Reel and proceeded to clean just about everything including the head and mechanism area

All dials and switches were cleaned by spraying and turning/operating back and forth just to do a thorough job of it

Put it all together again and connected it up again for testing

Result is a roaring sucsess everithing works - in fact it's silky smooth

Currently sitting here on my iPad to post while listening to some music of the seventies

So now that it's a keeper I need to pull it apart again to give the dials and knobs along with face plates a good polish

I have noticed a little tarnish on some areas and some age residue on the chrome parts, especially the dials

Unless anyone has another method ? I will use Braso metal cleaner and buff them to a shiny luster

Thoughts anyone ?

Edited by Full Range

Glad you got it going again. I was going to suggest it might have been a dodgy relay going on past experiences. Some machines also have plug in type modules with edge strip connectors

that could need a clean and re-tension. Often just reseating cards will fix the problems. The knobs and dials clean up very nicely in an ultrasonic bath.

I had a gut feeling that all it would have been is some dust or dirt that came loose during transport to my house ( some 120 km away

Still its a good thing that all components inside the unit is ***** and span now

Now on to the beautifying task and polishing job

Test day 2

All morning and into to afternoon it was playing non stop without issue

Someone with knowledge of the Sony TC 765 as to what NAB Hub Adaptors will fit from a generic brand or another brand so I can fit and play 10" reels

I have searched on the net without sucsess

Looking at an online users manual that the Sony has a rear spacer washer - see here - http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedecks/manuals/sonytc765/html/07.htm

I can make a rear spacer if need be but need suitable DES hubs first

Edited by Full Range

Someone with knowledge of the Sony TC 765 as to what NAB Hub Adaptors will fit from a generic brand or another brand so I can fit and play 10" reels

I have searched on the net without sucsess

Looking at an online users manual that the Sony has a rear spacer washer - see here - http://www.obsoletemedia.com/tapedecks/manuals/sonytc765/html/07.htm

I can make a rear spacer if need be but need suitable DES hubs first

Looking at the link I would say your best option for Nab hub adaptors to suit your Sony would be the TEAC TZ-612. These have a removable metal shim that acts as a spacer for the thinner metal reels. They go for big money on Ebay but you can still buy them new from TEAC in the states for less than half what most sellers on Ebay ask for them. There is the postage issue but at least your getting new units. The standard Revox units will also work but you would need to adjust the spindle (reel table) heights to suit using these.

Edited by gamve

I've got a Sony TC-630 circa 1970 which has some transport issues. Was a great machine when working. I've been in contact with these guys and they have been very helpful and communicative. http://broadcastworkshop.com/

In Melbourne but worth a call at least. Good luck!

Ok that link doesn't work for some reason, but try googling it. Here's their contact info

Broadcast Workshop, 476 Victoria Street, North Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3051 Ph: +61 (0)3 9329 7655 Fax: +61 (0)3 9328 3866 Email: info@broadcastworkshop.com

Edited by stewyh

• 9 months later...

Another option would be Serg at Audio Oz, super nice guy an a quarter of the price. Mine is booked in next week.

Another member used Broadcast W and after a lot of money, then sent it to Serg, he is happy now.

By the way, I am not affiliated in any way.

Good luck,

Greg

This beautiful Sony TC765 Reel2Reel tape deck is now all fully serviced

All the knobs are polished to look there best

And it plays superbly

Knobs before a polish

post-112724-0-62536600-1371538712_thumb.

A look at the heads

post-112724-0-55911100-1371538776_thumb.

To polish the pitted and tarnished knobs I used a combination of white magic sponge and brasso

post-112724-0-49243900-1371538840_thumb.

All polished and lit up ready to go

post-112724-0-81648200-1371539003_thumb.

post-112724-0-93777500-1371539063_thumb.

Gorgeous! 

You inspire me to do something about my Akai R2R, although not as resplendent with knobs and dials :)

It took about 3 hours and most of that was polishing

Now I need to source some 10" X 1/4 Reels full or empty

The large reels make this deck look even cooler akin to mags on a car

• 3 months later...

This is an interesting thread...the R2R machines are gorgeous. One question though, what do you play on them?

Cheers

M

One can purchase many artists retail tapes, some old just like records and a few organisations are releasing new material

With the correct amp / preamp that has both the play and record connections, one can transfer any music from record, CD, Radio ect to tape

Most tape players have a two speed record / play system

The slower speed setting increases the playtime on the tape

So it's possible to record a few hours of music dependent on tape length per reel

Edit

I forgot to mention that one can record on both sides of the tape - effectively doubling your recording session

Edited by Full Range

Uncle there is a lot of taoe out there the only ones to bother with are the 15 ips safe masters or the new tape Project etc

Haveing said that you might just find a gem yester year but be extremly careful.

The sound is amazing on a pro machine at 15ips and master tape.

• Like 1