Sign in to follow this  
MWR

AMI Jorgen T-500P turntable

Does anyone have any info.on this turntable please as I've never heard of it and there is one for sale (not here).

AMI Jorgen was a brand distributed by Miranda Hi Fi. It was very much a budget brand, that offered reasonable performance for the money. I am certainly familiar with the speakers and amplifiers, though not the turntables. I can't speak for them, specifically, just the brand, generally. Cheap and cheerful with nice cosmetics a Scandinavian sounding name and reasonable prices.

Thanks for this ZB. It's going for about $450.00 with an Ortofon 2M Red

Edited by MWR

Guest Muon

Looking at random pic of it on the net, I think for a secondhand TT you could do much better with that $$$.

A nice Kenwood DD table (marble look resin base) went for around $260 a few days ago.

Wait for something nice local to pop up, or there is the classifieds here too.

Edit: Deleted link as It's a bit, meh...after looking again, and the risk with shipping is always iffy.

Edited by datafone

Thanks for this ZB. It's going for about $450.00 with an Ortofon 2M Red

Depends on the condition of the stylus, of course, but I'd have thunk the TT is about $200.00 too much.

prices seem to be rising but i agree with above $450 can buy you better

Funny, Speakerbits (grrrrr!!!!!) in Port Melbourne have that exact table listed for sale, with an Ortofon 2MRed...... for $465.

As others have said, for that money there are much better options available. You can get an "as good" or "better" table for around $200, then you can spend around $100 on a better cartridge (the 2M Red is very pedestrian I've always thought) and still be $100+ ahead.

DaveR

Great thanks for the replies as I have no idea about TT's since the last one I bought was in 1981 and it was a fairly ordinary Sansui.

Maybe new would be a better choice, I'm only after one to play my old LP's that's all, unless I catch THE bug :)

Guest Muon

"unless I catch THE bug"

Err...what's this unless stuff?

;)

You could work out a few parameters like DD or Belt ect' and put a wanted to buy in the classifieds here and see what members have available in ya' budget.

Ya' will get more for ya' buck second hand, and the better it is, the more enjoyable it can be, of course that could lead to THE bug :)

Although, this looks nice http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-YAMAHA-YP-D9-QUARTZ-LOCKED-DIRECT-DRIVE-FULLY-MANUAL-TURNTABLE-/130747717655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e712bd817 but I have no idea what it will go for, and you need to trust he can pack it safely.

Although, this looks nice http://www.ebay.com....=item1e712bd817 but I have no idea what it will go for, and you need to trust he can pack it safely.

Dammit!!! I'm watching that one!

MWR - if you are a resident of the "World's Most Liveable City" you are welcome to stop by my house and have a look/listen to a few TTs, to get an idea of what you like/don't like. PM me.

Oh, and about "THE bug". There's a plague at my house....... you've been warned.

DaveR

Edited by Prana69

Guest Muon

:huh:

Oops!

Sorry Dave

Dad picked one up from cash converters for $25, I just fitted my old cart off my Music-Hall MMF-2.2 cartridge and it sounds quite nice.. Well much better than his old sansui with a a 20 yr old cart :D

Not a bad TT imo, probably no worth 400+ though...

$25.00 damnit

I have an AMI Jorgen T500P 4 channel turntable that i found in an op shop cleaned up, replaced belt, cartridge and stylus, lubricated and have been very pleased with its performance. Even though unrepentant audiophiles may snub it and turn their noses up. With the right headshell cartridge and stylus combination you'll be amazed by its performance. That's right i said 4 channel! Since my amp at the time didn't have phono inputs I had to use a phono preamp, so I chose the ArtDJ Pro. Don't let those who have no actual experience deter you either, turntables from this era are showing up and fetching nice prices, but can be had if you shop around. It all depends on what you want and what its worth to "YOU". I wouldn't recommend the Ortofon, having tried it. try out the Audio Technica AT95e. That's what I started with, now i use the AT120e>

Good Luck and Enjoy!   

On 13/08/2012 at 10:27 AM, MWR said:

Does anyone have any info.on this turntable please as I've never heard of it and there is one for sale (not here).

I have on, 4 channel unit very nice condition, plays well, sounds great with a good AT120e cartridge/stylus