Walker Audio High Definition Links DIY clone

Realrift

Hi guys,

I have found a couple of recipes for making filters for speaker cable similar to the Walker Audio High Definition Links. The one I am posting is supposedly an evolution of the original design with better filtering of higher frequencies interference (which may or may not add audible distortion depending on your alliances).

Anyway, here it is:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?forum=...r=&session=

It becomes more clear after reading the three responses after this post. I have built a few of these and used them on both ends of the speaker cable. Still evaluating them but there appears to be more clarity and a "blacker background". Ofcourse it could be the designer ear phenomenon.

Once you have the parts : 10,000pF, 1000pF and 100pF caps (polyester etc), 10 ohm resistor (metal film), it takes about 2 minutes to make them. I found that placing the capacitors on top of each other then twisting the wires together for each side helped. Then twist the resistor wire to one end of the combined capacitor wires. Then simply solder over the twists so they dont come apart. If you have a multimeter then you should read about 11.1 nanoFarads or so touching two ends of the filter. You attach them with the capacitor close to the positive terminal of the speaker/amp and the resistor close to the negative terminal.

All parts cheaply available from your favourite electronics store. If you like what you hear then as the article says, you can build them using better quality caps and resistors. I don't know where to find better quality components though.

Cheers,

Rift.

In other words, this is a filter that removes radio frequency waves of about 17MHz from the signal, that fits between the power amp and the speaker?

Your experiment sounds very interesting ... but I must admit that this is the first time I have heard that radiofrequency signals can affect electronics. Can someone please explain how?

Also, it was posted in the "Planar Speaker Asylum". Are these of particular benefit for users of planar speakers, or are they good for all speakers in general?

In other words, this is a filter that removes radio frequency waves of about 17MHz from the signal, that fits between the power amp and the speaker?

Your experiment sounds very interesting ... but I must admit that this is the first time I have heard that radiofrequency signals can affect electronics. Can someone please explain how?

Also, it was posted in the "Planar Speaker Asylum". Are these of particular benefit for users of planar speakers, or are they good for all speakers in general?[/b]

I'm afraid I can't explain how the RF signals interact with electronics other than perhaps inductance. I'm sure others could shed light on this.

From what the original tweak poster has said, this applies mainly to cone speakers but is also applicable to planars.

Cheers,

Rift.

If you like what you hear then as the article says, you can build them using better quality caps and resistors. I don't know where to find better quality components though.

Cheers,

Rift.[/b]

Hello Rift,

If you want better quality- use polystyrene capacitors over polyester. Dont worry about this brand over that brand. The best peformance is achieved by a polystyrene capacitor with an end foil termination. RS components will have these- I think. There is a suggestion that the higher the voltage rating the better.

The concept behind the resistor/capacitor network for speaker cables was made famous by MIT (not the University) in conjunction with Spectral in High End audio in the 80/90s. It still remains in their products today.

http://www.mitcables.com/

It is suggeted that it has more to do with impedance-matching / cable termination in order to minimise the effects of any reflected pulses in the speaker cable than removing any stray RFI. It would be good to test this scientifically one day.

Best

JA