Best A/V Receiver and setup for simple Apple TV + Samsung Series 6 + Two Speakers

Guest chexton

Guest chexton

Hi all,

It's been a while since I dabbled with home audio so I'm a bit out of date. I'm helping my parents with a simple setup in their bedroom and these are the core components:

Samsung Series 6 TV

Apple TV

Two speakers

Here are the two primary use-cases:

1. Watch TV (standard tuner) or watch the Apple TV. In either even the sound will go via the television.

2. Steam music to the AppleTV via AirPlay.

In the latter situation, it'd be ideal not to have to turn the TV on.

I don't think I need an A/V Receiver at all as there are so few components but I do need something to drive the two speakers.

Here's what I currently have in mind:

Apple TV (HDMI) -> Samsung via HDMI (handles audio and video unless I'm much mistaken)

Samsung -> AudioSource AMP100 or similar

Apple TV (TOSLINK out) -> AudioSourceAMP100 Input 2

If this setup sounds logical, I'd appreciate advice on:

A. Does anyone have experience with the AudioSource AMP series, is it any good?

B. When watching the Apple TV (not listening) the AudioSource will receive the same output from the Apple TV direct and via the Samsung. Will the two input system on the AudioSource work in such a way that Input 1 will be prioritised and it'll ignore Input 2 (this sounds too good to be true).

Thanks all!

Chris

• 1 month later...
Guest AV Domain

If you are wanting to send audio to the AudioSource amp you will need a DAC also I don't like the chances of playing music without the TV on as this has a lot to do with the firmware on the ATV, some allow it some don't. I've played with a few of these setups and it is really a hit and miss.

Safe bet:

1) Apple TV -> HDMI -> Samsung -> Optical Out -> DAC -> Input 2 on amp.

Once you have that working then try:

2) Apple TV -> HDMI -> Samsung

2a)Apple TV -> Optical -> DAC -> Input 2

1) Gives you all audio from the TV (HDTV+Apple TV) to the amp

2) Sends picture to the amp on HDMI

2a) Sends audio to the amp on optical

I should be sleeping though so double check my jibberish

Have you got a budget in mind? I figure you want as cheap as possible, so i'll advise along those lines

Firstly, check if your TV has analogue audio out. I've got a series 5 samsung and it's only got optical, which means you might also need a DAC for the TV audio.

As far as DAC's go you can get cheap and nasty ones like this for about $50 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=AC1603. But i've never tried one, and suspect nasty is the key word.

It sounds crazy but your best bet for budget price might be a 5CH AV receiver. An entry level might be around $300 to $400 new, but cheaper if 2nd hand. I I guess the sound quality would be on par with the audiosource amp + cheap DAC's.

By the time you get the stereo amp and a couple of dacs (or one with 2 inputs) and required cables you'll be up for similar $$.

An AV receiver has the added benefits of tuner, remote control, simplicity of setup and fewer cables. I'd look at Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon etc. If you're ok with 2nd hand then there should be plenty of affordable options

A 2 CH receiver with HDMI inputs/output would be perfect, but I don't know if anyone makes them. If they do then they're probably more expensive than 5CH due to economies of scale.

I have two apple tv's. On my main system it is connected to my AVR via HDMI.

On my bedroom system I have done what you want to do. I have HDMI directly to the TV and then toslink into a dac/amp which is connected to two speakers.

I have not tried playing airplay with the tv off.

You may need a dac. (I have played mp3 music from an ipod without a dac and with a dac and on my cheap amps I cant hear the difference. I use a dac/amp as I have an ipod dock as well and I listen high bitrate music e.g. flac and aiff with which I can hear the differences)

I think it would be a good idea to buy a second hand av receiver. You can buy an older one which does not have hdmi but that has toslink.

If you want something small look at desktop amps.

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't have your speakers as yet, consider a pair of active Audioengine A5s at ~$400, aktimate micro/mini, or cheap active monitors along the lines of the Behringer 1030As, or 2030As. Best bet would be to HDMI to TV, optical out from TV to a cheap DAC along the lines of a fiio d3 for ~$30, then RCA into the monitors. Though, this will not allow you to stream via airplay without the TV on.

If you already have speakers, the Denon AVR-1713 is pretty hard to beat at $530. Solid feature set and will do everything you want. Even supports airplay on its own.

Hmm, keeping it simple and comparatively compact, how about:

* use optical out from both Apple TV and Samsung TV

* connect that into a simple optical switch box (Jaycar/ebay) for choosing which input is active

* connect the optical out into a DAC (may be able to eliminate the switch box if you can find a DAC with multiple optical inputs)

* Then DAC outputs connect into an amplifier (Depending on your speakers, you may be able to get away with one of the class T amps)

It's a pity Emotiva don't seem to be selling their XDA-1 DAC any more, it would have been just the thing for this kind of setup.

The amplifier mentioned in the original post is going to be problematic since it doesn't look like it will work on our 240V power supply, judging by the back panel. What sort of speakers are you planning on running with this setup? In particular, the impedance and sensitivity ratings will help to work out how beefy an amplifier is required.

* use optical out from both Apple TV and Samsung TV

* connect that into a simple optical switch box (Jaycar/ebay) for choosing which input is active

* connect the optical out into a DAC (may be able to eliminate the switch box if you can find a DAC with multiple optical inputs)

* Then DAC outputs connect into an amplifier (Depending on your speakers, you may be able to get away with one of the class T amps)

yep, I was also about to suggest optical out from ATV. It will spit out audio over both HDMI and optical at the same time so the TV can stay off.

Alternative to an optical switchbox is a coax to optical converter. I'm planning on using one for my Dacmagic so I can connect 2 optical sources. I bought one of these for $16 (http://dx.com/p/opti...r-128793?item=2) , it arrived today so I'll test over the weekend. Not sure if it's a good idea sound quality wise but worth a crack.

EDIT: just gave the budget optical/coax converter a go and to my ears it seems to do a good job. Comparing apple lossless file by both direct USB connection to DAC and wifi to ATV -> opt/coax converter -> DAC. Maybe with hi res files, or a better dac the difference would be more noticeable but for me it's fine.

anyway...not sure any of this advice is necessary. OP seems to be missing in action.

Edited by manchu

• 3 weeks later...

if op has gone missing, this is exactly the sort of setup I want too.

I have hit my hurdle with the DAC, as mentioned I can get the fiio d3 for ~$30 and it just gets more expensive from there. If those DAC's are ok I can get my stereo amp with 5-7 analogue input and just buy a fiio for each input I want. My "problem" is I have purchased my speakers already (vaf signature i90) and I don't know if it is silly to put such a cheap component after spending so much on speakers, opinions on this welcome !!! hopefully this along the same lines as what the op was looking for.