Sign in to follow this  
Briz Vegas

I hate itunes

How hard is it to create a data base that does not RANDOMLY drop off data

I load album artwork

It's there for weeks

I open iTunes one day and 30 or so albums have no artwork

Only half of them " find the artwork ", the others I have to find and fight with the program to download and store them

All is good for a while then it happens again, and again, and again, and guess what it's just f@&king well happened again.

People have complained for years about this bug and it never gets fixed. So.... I hate iTunes.

Will someone please create a music data base that "just works"

End of rant!

wow sounds like quite some bother. never happened to me and not aware of the bug. It has just always worked ! so hope bug never infests in our setup.

whats the conditions that create the issue ? is it a mac pc thing ? any particular version of OSX ? / op system ? anything for us to watch out for ?

Edited by :) al

What are iTunes :cool: ?

JRiver have and they're working on a port to MAC.

You probably have already done it but have you loaded the latest version??? Just a thought!

Maybe you have a corrupt database? It's never happened to me. Are you using a Mac or PC?

When this happens to me I just play a few of songs from the culprit album and they seem to magically re-appear most of the time. How many albums do you have in iTunes?

Yeh iTunes is realy picky when it comes to album art an info. Things like if you have for say "Megadeth" in your album but it's spelt like megaDeth, iTunes won't identify this as a known album on its database.

So the only thing I can say is make sure your album information is identical to iTunes, and it had to be 100% accurate as if you purchest it off iTunes them selfs.

Biggest thing you have to understand about apple is they will do nothing to help you if your using 3rd party media.

Window media player is so much forgiving. Too bad the info isent cross compatible.

Oh yeh dont let ITunes organize your library if you have wma, it will just go nuts.

This is why I like Zune. :)

I believe that iTunes uses the Gracenote database for album art, so Gracenote may be the real culprits.

Edited by Telecine

I still don't understand why iTunes is so demanding on cpu and ram AND still lacks FLAC support doesn't it?

"You need iTunes for your iPod" - this is what Apple would like you to believe, there's other software out there.

For general use, you can't go too far wrong with Winamp or Foobar2000... JRiver Media Center was good too I think but I haven't used that for a while.

Foobar FTW! I refuse to use any Apple products. It's such a PITA to use unless you have a setup that is 100% Apple as it just tries to take over everything.

i gave itunes away years ago , same reason album art would dissapear , i use google images to find my album covers then add the tag using a tagging program , now i use touchjams jukebox software , its a great program and way better then itunes or media player

Well Safari for Windows suddenly vanished from the Apple website about a week or two back without a single word from Apple, I'm guessing nobody was using it.

Let's hope the same happens for iTunes for Windows eh?

I use Poddox to put tunes on Christines gen 3 ipod nano.

I've never used iTunes, probably never will.

Well Safari for Windows suddenly vanished from the Apple website about a week or two back without a single word from Apple, I'm guessing nobody was using it.

still running safari on my sony netbook that runs windows 7 :P

I'd imagine that Safari 6 for Windows isn't ready, it was released for OSX last week.

I love iTunes. It's simple, fairly intuitive and integrates well with the Apple ecosystem. Does everything I need it to. It can be a bit funny with album art due to the way it manages metadata, but I've been able to quickly remedy any glitches I've run into.

I used Itunes on a PC a couple of years ago. I had nothing but trouble. It took over file extensions, renamed directories and kept logging onto the the Apple shop to try to sell me things I didn't want. I got emails offering me specials. It also turned off my aquarium and reprogramed my doorbell. It made my teeth go brown. I also heard my pet budgies talking about me. I won't use Itunes again..

I used Itunes on a PC a couple of years ago. I had nothing but trouble. It took over file extensions, renamed directories and kept logging onto the the Apple shop to try to sell me things I didn't want. I got emails offering me specials. It also turned off my aquarium and reprogramed my doorbell. It made my teeth go brown. I also heard my pet budgies talking about me. I won't use Itunes again..

Clydemount that wasn't iTunes doing that, it was the carbon tax :party:D

I absolutely loathe itunes. I only installed it when I had an iphone and hated how it took over all my media files to open in itunes by default (nothing new about that).

I now use Media Monkey to organise my files with cover art ect and know that once sorted in MM, I can transfer my files over to my popcorn hour and everything will be in order over there, all in Flac. Actually, I can transfer to ANY other device.

But be very careful not to upset the apple cart as they have their digital spies all over your PC, ready for sabotage missions when called for, as I found out when I got rid of my iphone (for a Galaxy S2 :thumb:) and uninstalled itunes only to find that Media Monkey would no longer open. Searched the net and found I had to stop an itunes dll file in MM, causing the problem. Guerrilla warfare that is.

It's a pity apple don't use their power for good instead of evil as the concept of itunes is good, I just don't like to be locked into the " ibox ".

Edited by chefscuba70

It seems like iTunes for Mac and iTunes for Windows are different beasts. A constant complaint I hear from Windows users is that iTunes reorganises their music folders. This is very easy to prevent in OSX iTunes where you just tell it to leave music files where they are instead of re-organising them. Is this not possible in the Windows version? Why is it such a problem anyway? Is the windows iTunes 64bit?