This may surprise you!

My point is, Dave ... if you use a ZeroDust, you don't need to use one of those.

(But if you want to double-handle ... go right ahead! :P )

Regards,

Andy

Yeah, I get that Andy. It just comes back to the $50 magic goop vs $5 magic eraser (which can actually be cut into smaller pieces and last a long long time) + generally free stylus brush to get the same result. Plus, I note people at VA also complaining about the goop losing it's "goopiness" over time.

You'd be using a brush anyway wouldn't you, to remove fibres and dust from around and under the cantilever and nearer the body where the goop is not designed to clean?.

DaveR

Edited by Prana69

I really think that the cost of the Zerodust is negligible compared to the price of a cartridge. Mine was $2200. I just think for what it does, it's a must have.

Paul

I really think that the cost of the Zerodust is negligible compared to the price of a cartridge. Mine was $2200. I just think for what it does, it's a must have.

Paul

Yes, well, if you paid $2200 for your cart, $50 probably would seem "negligible". So, your preferred cleaning method is 1/44th the cost of your cart.

My most expensive cart was the Garrott at $200. At $5 for the Magic Eraser, my preferred cleaning method is 1/40th the cost of my cart.

Therefore, on a cleaning method cost per cart cost ratio, we are almost equivalent! :)

More dodgy maths there than you'll find on the back of Joe Hockey's beer coaster!

DaveR

Edited by Prana69
  • Like 2

I ordered one last week.Direct from Japan guaranteed fresh stock.$40

http://www.ebay.com....984.m1497.l2649

Has it arrived yet Stump, I only ask because the Ad says it comes Fast from Japan, US. ?? :confused:

Checked my stylus with a Jewellers glass and I can't get the Gunk off that bloody thing. I use lower priced carts so i might give the Magic Eraser a shot.

Edited by Grumpy

Wait a minute! I was given some little white square sponge things (thanks RR) that look like that magic eraser stuff. It doesn't clean the stylus, but it does remove a small amount of gunk if it's really bad. Most times nothing comes off that I can see.

Wait a minute! I was given some little white square sponge things (thanks RR) that look like that magic eraser stuff. It doesn't clean the stylus, but it does remove a small amount of gunk if it's really bad. Most times nothing comes off that I can see.

It is Magic Eraser that I gave you Grumps.

It is Magic Eraser that I gave you Grumps.

Thought that's what is was RR. It does remove a small speck of gunk If I haven't used it for awhile, but not all the hair etc I can see with the jewellers glass .

I think I'm just being fussy because the pic up the top looks so clean in the after shot

• Like 1

Thought that's what is was RR. It does remove a small speck of gunk If I haven't used it for awhile, but not all the hair etc I can see with the jewellers glass .

I think I'm just being fussy because the pic up the top looks so clean in the after shot

I wonder if the ME-addicts will bother to read your post? Because IMO they need to. ;) I can guarantee the ZeroDust does get the gunk off - why do I know this? ... because after a couple of weeks use subsequent to the last wash under a warm tap, you can see lots of little black dots (like fly specks) on the surface of the gunk - which can only have come from the stylus.

IOW, it does an excellent job - although I'm open to the idea that P69 brought up ... that it loses its effectiveness over time. I think I'll buy a new one (as mine's about 10 years old) and test out that hypothesis. :thumb:

Regards,

Andy

Edited by andyr

Just on the zero dust subject, every so often it must be occasionally rinsed under the hot water tap to get rid of the residue it picks up from the stylus.

I must be due for a new one as I recently noticed all the scratches from the styli from my carts.

When I had the Lyra Skala with the rice paper cover, I would use a piece of magic erasure to get the gunk of the rice paper.

The Onzow works a treat and Warwick usually posts it in record time.

Gawd i want a foot in at least 3 camps an I ain't no tripod

1 used magic eraser for years to no ill effect

Andyr on visits exhibited horror at this practice

2 Moved to more expensive carts Grado Europa mm Grado signature ortofon tango denon 103

and moved to tiny (I think eye lash) brush I found on bathroom floor very fine works well

3 am now watching zero dust on eBay

Logic says magic eraser

Fear of damaging stylus says .... Take all due precautions

4 Suggest u all investigate female make up bags or your own if cross dressing is your thing or price line for couple of bucks its pretty fool proof

Pranas $ for $ argument is very strong

Edited by djb

I have a zerodust. Invaluable, gets the gunk off, lasts for years, an essential item. For the fluff and everyday brushing I just use a camel hair artists' paint brush. About once a week I use the zerodust.

DS

I wondering on what basis, David, you decided once a week is the optimum usage interval? (It certainly doesn't make sense to me. :P )

I use it before each side - it takes so little time to do this (no longer than your camel hair brush, I suggest), and then I know that absolutely the stylus is spotless, each play!! :)

Regards,

Andy

I wondering on what basis, David, you decided once a week is the optimum usage interval? (It certainly doesn't make sense to me. :P )

I use it before each side - it takes so little time to do this (no longer than your camel hair brush, I suggest), and then I know that absolutely the stylus is spotless, each play!! :)

Regards,

Andy

Laziness?

DS

Logic says magic eraser

Why? :confused:

Prana's $ for $ argument is very strong

There is no logic, IMO, in comparing the relative cost of cleaners with the relative cost of cartridges.

People may not be able to afford a cartridge costing thousands - so they have to buy carts costing hundreds ... but very few who are serious about vinyl, I suggest, cannot afford to pay $40 or $50 for a ZeroDust.

Regards,

Andy

QUERY 1

logic says use magic eraser cos its worked well for me and broken nothing for 4 years

i gave it up because many people said thy thought it might break something

i then worried it would break an expensive stylus when it had never done so to a cheap one!

QUERY 2

You got me here most all of us can afford $40 for zerodust which seems to last a very long time

QUERY 1

logic says use magic eraser cos its worked well for me and broken nothing for 4 years

Well, it depends what you mean by "worked well", David. :P How do know it left your stylus spotless? I've seen mine under a x200 microscope and it is clean ... and there are all those black spots on the ZoeroDust gel surface, which can only have come from the stylus. :D

Regards,

Andy

Is that a Kuzma arm that you have the cart mounted on? If so, which one and how do you find it?

The reason I ask is, that I am looking to upgrade my jelco 750D, that I have on my Woodpecker, in the near future and the Kuzma range is on my list.

Your arm wouldn't happen to be the Stogi S would it?