Sign in to follow this  
brumby

Cambridge Azur 840c

I've been doing a fair bit of research towards upgrading my source lately and the Cambridge 840c CD player is looking like it might be what I need.

I've read nothing but praise for the 840c in both the UK and Aussie reviews. I especially like the fact that it also offers inputs for other digital sources. I'd like to run my DVD player through it and hopefully improve the sound quality for concert DVDs

Does anybody own this player or has anybody demoed it? I'd be keen to get you reactions. Also, has anybody compared the 840c with the 740c? The 740c also does the 384 upsampling and, to the best of my knowledge, has the digital inputs too.

Finally, if anyone out there has a Cambridge 840c for sale, I'd be interested. Barring that, does anybody know who sells them in Brisbane?

I've heard it and think it's great. It was with the matching amp and some MArtin Logans.

One is currently on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-CAMBRIDGE...1QQcmdZViewItem[/b]

Yeah, I found that. I stuck it on my watch list.

The ad says its in Sydney. I sent the seller a message inquiring about the somewhat exorbitant postage charge.

Which Martin Logans did you hear it with, mate?

Yeah, I found that. I stuck it on my watch list.

The ad says its in Sydney. I sent the seller a message inquiring about the somewhat exorbitant postage charge.

Which Martin Logans did you hear it with, mate?[/b]

Hmmmm.....buggger...sorry can't remember :popcorn: They were 4-5k. Cheers.

Did you notice the seller can't spell Sydney? Shipped by DHL i'd hedge my bets that it is coming from Asia

Did you notice the seller can't spell Sydney? Shipped by DHL i'd hedge my bets that it is coming from Asia[/b]

Yeah, I noticed that. Sometimes prices too good to be true are just that. I'm a bit leery about that ad.

Did you notice the seller can't spell Sydney? Shipped by DHL i'd hedge my bets that it is coming from Asia[/b]

Actually guys, its quite plain from the text that the item is in Singapore and will be shipped from there with a S'pore warranty.

I'd rather spend the extra bucks and buy from a reputable dealer here in Aus myself. Just my 2 cents.

Shipping Please allow shipping to take 3 - 5 working days to Australia.

All goods will be inspected to ensure they are in perfect condition: Quality Control and its performance prior to Shipment.

Refund

Refund is not allowed remembering that shipment from overseas.

Warranty

Comes with 12 months Singaporean warranty.

Payment

All payment has to be received before the good is shipped.

Forget the ad, guys, back to the CD player.

Anybody else heard one?

I've been doing a fair bit of research towards upgrading my source lately and the Cambridge 840c CD player is looking like it might be what I need.

I've read nothing but praise for the 840c in both the UK and Aussie reviews. I especially like the fact that it also offers inputs for other digital sources. I'd like to run my DVD player through it and hopefully improve the sound quality for concert DVDs

Does anybody own this player or has anybody demoed it? I'd be keen to get you reactions. Also, has anybody compared the 840c with the 740c? The 740c also does the 384 upsampling and, to the best of my knowledge, has the digital inputs too.

Finally, if anyone out there has a Cambridge 840c for sale, I'd be interested. Barring that, does anybody know who sells them in Brisbane?[/b]

Hmm If Dynaudio made CD players , I know , They would be labeled Wadia

Hmm If Dynaudio made CD players , I know , They would be labeled Wadia[/b]

If I had cash coming out of my ears, they well might be :wink:

If I had cash coming out of my ears, they well might be :wink:[/b]

I suspect there was a time when the thought of Dyn's brought a similar response

Hmm let the canny dyn owner be patient , An see what may come up for sale

Brumby yes I have auditioned both the 840A together with the 840c on a few different speakers. At Video Pro in the Valley and also at Sunnybank HiFi. The 840C is a vey nicely made unit and did sound very nice with the various speakers I heard it on. I did feel tho that it might have been a little 'clinical' but that might also have been attributed to the speakers at the time. Its certainly a very nice looking and solid unit, typical Cambridge quality thats for sure. Also I just remember Ron Hadley Retrovision at Indooroopilly have them also.

Normal rrp is $2,200 but I have seen these online sometimes discounted down to as low at $1700 (from memory it might have been Wicked Digital) and at that price they would be a bargain imo.

Jamada Enterprises (formerly Living sound Hi FI) at Newmarket also has Cambridge Audio, haven't heard the player though, sorry.

Jamada Enterprises (formerly Living sound Hi FI) at Newmarket also has Cambridge Audio, haven't heard the player though, sorry.[/b]

I compared the 840C with the MF A5CD and the Meridian G07 CD player back in late September. This Thread and I thought it was an excellent player even against players twice the price. I'd have bought one except I needed to buy a car rather sooner than I planned.

Try and listen to the Rega players (Apollo $1600, Saturn $3500) if you decide you don't need the digital input.

There have been one or two just-superceded Naim CD players on eBay in the last few weeks as well. I have heard the CD5i but I prefer the 840C, I think (heard on different occaisions).

Happy hunting

ES

I compared the 840C with the MF A5CD and the Meridian G07 CD player back in late September. This Thread and I thought it was an excellent player even against players twice the price. I'd have bought one except I needed to buy a car rather sooner than I planned.

Try and listen to the Rega players (Apollo $1600, Saturn $3500) if you decide you don't need the digital input.

There have been one or two just-superceded Naim CD players on eBay in the last few weeks as well. I have heard the CD5i but I prefer the 840C, I think (heard on different occaisions).

Happy hunting

ES[/b]

Thanks ES. I read your thread. An excellent and clearly unbiased review.

I would like the digital inputs. That, as well as the praise for the sound and the build quality, has piqued my interest in the Cambridge. The other route is obviously to get a DAC/Transport combo but I'm reasonably sure that I'd be looking at more money if I went that route.

I've heard the Consonance 2.2 which I considered a good but not great player It did not better my existing CD player (see sig) by enough for me to consider it. I would certainly like to get a listen to the Raysonics and the Melody.

Thanks ES. I read your thread. An excellent and clearly unbiased review.

I would like the digital inputs. That, as well as the praise for the sound and the build quality, has piqued my interest in the Cambridge. The other route is obviously to get a DAC/Transport combo but I'm reasonably sure that I'd be looking at more money if I went that route.

I've heard the Consonance 2.2 which I considered a good but not great player It did not better my existing CD player (see sig) by enough for me to consider it. I would certainly like to get a listen to the Raysonics and the Melody.[/b]

Unless you absolutely want balanced outputs, I would go the 740C. Should be around $1300.00 street price.

im also looking at getting a good cd player and like the specs of the 840 model. i dont think i would worry about getting one from singapore as listed on ebay. im sure there is room to move on the price here in oz and will next week go and purchase one i hope.

is the black colour available here in australia?

im also looking at getting a good cd player and like the specs of the 840 model. i dont think i would worry about getting one from singapore as listed on ebay. im sure there is room to move on the price here in oz and will next week go and purchase one i hope.

is the black colour available here in australia?[/b]

This probably doesn't help much but I bought a 340C about six months ago and was able to get it in black, although I had to wait a bit longer.

So if ya can get the 340C in black..... chances are...

I've owned an 840C for almost 1 year and quite happy with sound/resolution and cannot fault build quality (8.5 kg). At that time 740C hadn't been released, at least not in Oz. I haven't done a comparo of 740C v 840C, but I expect the differences would be very slight ... I doubt I would pick any audible differences.

Ed.