Sign in to follow this  
Jventer

Your view on Consonance 3 channel amp

Dies anybody have one?

Does anybody have an opinion?

Any suggestions?

What about Emotiva 3 channel amps?

The Consonance A3 is a 3 channel amp.

I am thinking about getting it to run my surround and center speakers in stead of my Yamaha AVR. The Yamaha is an RXV 2067(about the same as the Aventage 2000. RXV 2071) fed by Cambridge Audio BD651. It is supposedly 130W but at higher volume it distort, but mostly I dont like the sound when listening to 5 channel music.)

(My front channels are driven by Consonance 845 mono blocks).

Please and thanks.

I have an older C3 running my front and surrounds, it works fine but I have never really compared it to anything. If the Yamaha has trouble with just the front and surrounds then maybe it has a power related problem.

Thanks cafad.

I guess its coming to grips that $2,000 is paying for a lot of Dolby etc processing stuff as well as 5 amplifiers.

The sound from the Yamaha, while nothing wrong - is just not that good.

At the moment the comparison are the 845's that are $2,000 per channel. Not fair, I know.

I am following your posts with interest, especially your integrated post.

Greg reckons the C3/A3 blows other amps away. Not that I dont believe them, what do you think. Is the price for an A3 good or fantastic.

As far as home theatre amps go the Consonance are very good, a little bass heavy for music but that is what makes them a good HT amp. The C3 is the power version of the C1 I reviewed in my integrated comparo post, the A series may well be a little better than the older C series of course. If you only plan on using it for HT an emotiva XPA3 is probably the most sensible move, for 5.1 audio the consonance is probably a little better but that is all suposition really since I have only heard relatives of the amps in question.

Greg is not lying of course, though I believe he is talking the amps up a little, the consonance solid state amps are good and powerful but the ones I have heard lack a soft touch and have slightly damped top ends.

With the 845's powering your fronts (colour me envious by the way, I've wanted to hear those ever since I first saw them on Greg's website) does your soundstage sound a bit odd? Does that tube sound through your fronts mix well with solid state rears and center or not? That dislike of 5.1 audio may be due to the tube/ss mix, have you considered a 3 channel tube amp for the rears and center? It might be worth thinking about before you fork out for a new piece of gear.

Cheers!

Hi Cafad

My credit cards are still suffering because of those 845's - love them though.

No complaints - Greg's new 880 looks even better.

Where do I get valve 3 channel amps?

I'm not sure on the where but I know I have seen them somewhere, I think Ming Da make a 5 channel tube power amp, they may make a 3. Greg would be a good guy to ask.

Sounds like you really just need one channel, the centre is very important and requires decent amplification - a mono block may fit the bill leaving Yamaha only for surrounds.

HI Fi Plus

Agree re one mono block.

I have 2 constraints - one is money and the other is WAF. I can only get what I can now fit into the hi fi cabinet. Another tube amp is out of the question. My 2 channel and HT is combined and my wife and kids are not that good with the electronics.

Yesterday I hooked up a few 2 channel amps and used the AVR as a pre - played 2 channel and 5 channel. AVR is listenable, but with nice music the better 2 channel makes a difference.

Still thinking re just a 2 channel power amp, or a 3 channel power amp, or maybe a 5 channel power amp (Emotiva is so cheap).

Sounds like the A3 could be the go, then you will have channels for surround as well.

I use an Arcus (German) 4 channel, mainly because it is only 1RU high.