Bedroom system

33 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

love the amp mate. 

Thanks pops I’ve owned valves but all in source side things with dacs/CD player  and phono stage/pre so real first for me in this integrated. And loving it. There is certainly something in valves glad worked out in the bedroom system :)

59 minutes ago, anandpkumar said:

Congrats on the new CDP for your bedroom. How much of a step up is the KI player from the regular Marantz models?

thank you  anand in this case its priced between the SA-14 special edition and top player in the SA10 they have. Takes casing, innards tech wise of the top player, along with transport and dac with KIs input, drops XLRs (which didnt need) for a lower price point which seemed a great option for me :)  there is something about the KI players and how everything just clicks together to sound just right. Combination of things I think :)

32 minutes ago, Cigar nuke said:

I’m jealous your bedroom system has progressed beautifully and my “study” system still only has a pair of speakers ?

That CD players looks gorgeous. Special edition? The wrapping was even stunning!

thank you CN :) yes the player is a special edition in that KI tends to do one every 10 years... I missed the last one, so glad havent missed out this time around. 

its come together more quickly than I expected... when found the integrated I knew it was it - took things to another level. and straight aways realised needed to do something more with the source as well and glad I did. I've run my speakers quite some years now trying all sorts ... so very pleased its finally come together as it is to something really hitting the spot :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

16 hours ago, betty boop said:

thank you  anand in this case its priced between the SA-14 special edition and top player in the SA10 they have. Takes casing, innards tech wise of the top player, along with transport and dac with KIs input, drops XLRs (which didnt need) for a lower price point which seemed a great option for me :)  there is something about the KI players and how everything just clicks together to sound just right. Combination of things I think :)

Nice.....was curious about the differences. I've heard the SA10 in the past but never got a chance to listen to any of the KI ones. 

Edited by anandpkumar
  • Like 1

all tubed up ! :)

matched sextet of EL34 and marched twin of 12AX7 have shown up...

can pop them away incase needed down the track for a tube refresh :)

while these are direct OEM replacement as insurance policy ... wont rule some tube rolling down the track still for a bit of fun ...

0I9A0929.jpeg

On 26/04/2019 at 9:31 PM, betty boop said:

A new addition I picked up at lunch time today to go in the bedroom system...

something I couldn't wait to unwrap :D 

0I9A0872.jpg

a little hint from what I got to see when peeled back the wrapping ...

0I9A0876.jpg

Yes with such lovely sounds from the amp and speakers... I thought to up the ante in the source department ! 

0I9A0875.jpg

and it has slid very nicely into the system.... 

0I9A0894.jpg

and how does it sound ....out of the box... just sublime ..... it continues on with the theme of everything just sounding so right... I have not lost the warmth of vocals or the overall character of the system with the richness of its sound... but gained instead in smoothness, articulation of details...sound staging and imaging.  love it ?

Kicking back and listening to a few discs this evening... all  I can say is if the amp is sticking its tongue out to all those that say amps don't matter... well then this disc player is sticking its tongue out to all those that say disc players don't matter :D 

0I9A0898.jpg

Bloody Hell Betty!

I'd better wash my jammies and come over.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, muzzagruzz said:

Loving the bedroom two way system there, Al. I reckon two way speakers is where the magic is. Partnered with a really good integrated, which you have, makes for an elegant and simple system. Perfect ? 

Thank you muzza , I think you have hit on the essence things....

something I have been thinking about too in last few days.

As a bedroom system its gone over many iterations over the years.... with quite some complexity at times ...  various stand mounts some effort in integration of subwoofer... all manner of separates... pre powers and mono blocs and dacs and hi-res streamers even universal disc players.

this is probably the stripped back simple a system have ever had here and am very much enjoying the simplicity of it  ! I just grab some discs head up. put disc in press play enjoy...sometimes simple is best :)

I've done the same thing over the years, pre and power amps, different integrated amps and various sources. However, I seem to keep coming back to simple integrated amps with an SACD player and turntable as sources. I have a couple of lovely Italian integrated amps right now and would love to try the Audio Analogue Maestro Anniversary in the classifieds as the idea of super integrated really appeals to me.

The only thing with that particular amp, apart from the cost, is the weight of the damn thing - 31 kilos. Yikes. Less than my old ME850 power amp but my back and knee are not so good these days. It would be nice though. ? 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

I've done the same thing over the years, pre and power amps, different integrated amps and various sources. However, I seem to keep coming back to simple integrated amps with an SACD player and turntable as sources. I have a couple of lovely Italian integrated amps right now and would love to try the Audio Analogue Maestro Anniversary in the classifieds as the idea of super integrated really appeals to me.

very nice muzza. indeed there is joy in simplicity and sounds like you are in a pretty happy space. didnt realise you had a couple of italian amps :)

11 hours ago, muzzagruzz said:

The only thing with that particular amp, apart from the cost, is the weight of the damn thing - 31 kilos. Yikes. Less than my old ME850 power amp but my back and knee are not so good these days. It would be nice though. ? 

amazing how heavy amps can get, that reminds me of the nad master series integrated I ran that was over 30kg ! the unison research is no light weight either at 25kg ! with some hefty power supplied running down the guts of it. though class A its the least wattage and yet best sounding of any amp have run in the system :) kind of goes to show can take all sorts ...

Thank you muzza , I think you have hit on the essence things....

something I have been thinking about too in last few days.

As a bedroom system its gone over many iterations over the years.... with quite some complexity at times ...  various stand mounts some effort in integration of subwoofer... all manner of separates... pre powers and mono blocs and dacs and hi-res streamers even universal disc players.

this is probably the stripped back simple a system have ever had here and am very much enjoying the simplicity of it  ! I just grab some discs head up. put disc in press play enjoy...sometimes simple is best [emoji4]

I like ya thinking there.. would you advocate a cdp over vinyl in bedroom system like this? I’ve recently begun the analogue collecting and upgrading path but it’s honestly a hassle in such a small space. It’s tempting to just grab a tube cdp and be done with it for now
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I like ya thinking there.. would you advocate a cdp over vinyl in bedroom system like this? I’ve recently begun the analogue collecting and upgrading path but it’s honestly a hassle in such a small space. It’s tempting to just grab a tube cdp and be done with it for now

thanks @crtexcnndrm99

can see in my front stage here I would be a little limited with regards fitting in a vinyl rig..I think your point of "hassle in the space I have" is likely weighed in to pass on vinyl here. Certainly I am a vinyl fan and probably 50/50 vinyl vs other source (disc/stream) etc but I think I can pass on leaving that for the main system. I actually did contemplate some years ago vinyl infact in the bedroom setup... when upgrading my vinyl rig (10 years ago) whether to keep my much loved previous deck and stick in the bedroom. but retailer who kindly came to install and setup the new rig, wisely advised from personal experience that two vinyl rigs in separate rooms can be a bit of a hassle... carry records back forth and such.

0I9A0918.JPG

interesting you mention thoughts of a tube CDp. when I was auditioning amps including the one I picked up here. I got the opportunity to hear a very lovely Ayon tube CDP player. It is a top loader though, and If I were looking for one I'd certainly put in as a front runner...

as happens theres an Ayon going very cheaply too .... if looking for one, grab it I say... these indeed are lovely things :) and I dont think bargains like this come up very often.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

thanks @crtexcnndrm99

can see in my front stage here I would be a little limited with regards fitting in a vinyl rig..I think your point of "hassle in the space I have" is likely weighed in to pass on vinyl here. Certainly I am a vinyl fan and probably 50/50 vinyl vs other source (disc/stream) etc but I think I can pass on leaving that for the main system. I actually did contemplate some years ago vinyl infact in the bedroom setup... when upgrading my vinyl rig (10 years ago) whether to keep my much loved previous deck and stick in the bedroom. but retailer who kindly came to install and setup the new rig, wisely advised from personal experience that two vinyl rigs in separate rooms can be a bit of a hassle... carry records back forth and such.

0I9A0918.JPG

interesting you mention thoughts of a tube CDp. when I was auditioning amps including the one I picked up here. I got the opportunity to hear a very lovely Ayon tube CDP player. It is a top loader though, and If I were looking for one I'd certainly put in as a front runner...

as happens theres an Ayon going very cheaply too .... if looking for one, grab it I say... these indeed are lovely things :) and I dont think bargains like this come up very often.

Thanks for sharing your experiences :) That Ayon, although amazing no doubt, would painfully outclass my current system. Still, the ease of use of a cdp appeals and could mean more play time - thinking of finding a Unico Research CDP on the used market?

Have to say, I like how small a footprint that unison research amp of yours has... ;) 

1 hour ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Thanks for sharing your experiences :) That Ayon, although amazing no doubt, would painfully outclass my current system. Still, the ease of use of a cdp appeals and could mean more play time - thinking of finding a Unico Research CDP on the used market?

Have to say, I like how small a footprint that unison research amp of yours has... ;) 

That Ayon CDP is criminally cheap.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

understand crt, yes there is some appeal of the disc player...though no idea on the unison research CD players I see they are valve based and look as well made as their integrated amps :) 

indeed the footprint of the unison research C6 is unique in quite deep but 3/4 width. something I wasnt quite how would even fit in my setup. but all good there. I did a small mod to my rack that holds it and fits in nicely :) unison certainly seem to put some effort into not only sonics and design of their gear but also on the asthetics for something thats certainly unique ! 

12 hours ago, Darren69 said:

That Ayon CDP is criminally cheap.

and now looks like another one has popped up a model up ! theyre most definitely seem to be appearing all of a sudden and at quite reasonable pricing :)

8 hours ago, betty boop said:

and now looks like another one has popped up a model up ! theyre most definitely seem to be appearing all of a sudden and at quite reasonable pricing :)

I assume the seller would be moving up to the next model, that's the only reason I would sell my Ayon dac.

The reflektors I got some time back make an even better difference, they go well in the Ayon gear.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I assume the seller would be moving up to the next model, that's the only reason I would sell my Ayon dac.

The reflektors I got some time back make an even better difference, they go well in the Ayon gear.

yes seem to be some new models but gosh they sure are a hike up in price from these 2nd hand things making them all the more the bargain ! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

yes seem to be some new models but gosh they sure are a hike up in price from these 2nd hand things making them all the more the bargain ! 

Indeed mate!!!

My dream pre that I doubt I'll ever own, haha, 15k after one accepts the balanced option which I would.

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/ayon-audio/products/ayon-audio-auris-reference-pre-amplifier?variant=8598749937715

Some other very nice stuff there, tube mono's etc. Don't look!!! :D 

11 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Indeed mate!!!

My dream pre that I doubt I'll ever own, haha, 15k after one accepts the balanced option which I would.

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/ayon-audio/products/ayon-audio-auris-reference-pre-amplifier?variant=8598749937715

Some other very nice stuff there, tube mono's etc. Don't look!!! :D 

haha I did look... their top doggie player is a bit of money but they pack all the good stuff in ! and look at the heft of the thing 17kg, exactly same as my marantz ... they dont hold back ! happy to give credit where credit due and the their lower rung cd/sacd player I heard ($7k ?) while demoing valve amps was awesome. there is not too many out there like it ....have no doubt their other gear is similarly well endowed given their attention to detail, fit finish and engineering that seems core to the design. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, betty boop said:

haha I did look... their top doggie player is a bit of money but they pack all the good stuff in ! and look at the heft of the thing 17kg, exactly same as my marantz ... they dont hold back ! happy to give credit where credit due and the their lower rung cd/sacd player I heard ($7k ?) while demoing valve amps was awesome. there is not too many out there like it ....have no doubt their other gear is similarly well endowed given their attention to detail, fit finish and engineering that seems core to the design. 

As with a lot things, images don't do the units justice, was surprised at the heft and solidity of the Sigma when it arrived, as well as the fact that the components are clearly made with a lot of love.

• Like 1