Sign in to follow this  
jrisles

$10K to burn on a Turntable

I think I wet my pants ............

...there are pills for that..

...there are pills for that..

that depends...

Isn't it much more fun spending other peoples money. ;)

dirty.

Guest Muon

This looks tasty: http://www.hifido.co...65479-40998-00/

Or this: http://www.topclassa...ls.jsp?gid=5315

Ooh, turntable lust: http://www.topclassa...ls.jsp?gid=6127 Sorry, bit pricey, got carried away.

One day . . .

Given my avatar I would suggest a Micro Seiki, great turntables. But many excellent suggestions above. I've heard a couple of VPIs and they can sound great. The new Sotas are meant to be very good. That Fieckert is definitely worth a look, it's the one with the adjustable arm mount isn't it? The SME TTs are also very highly rated.

I think the trick is to look at a package as every part of the TT affects the sound. Try and listen to some arm/table combinations and trust your ears to find what you like. We all have preferences. You can change the sound later with different cartridges but carts have to match arms (compliance and effective mass - look for the cartridge database for information via the Vinyl Engine).

Good luck and enjoy. Then go bankrupt buying records like the rest of us do :D

DS

Ooo..love all of those, but that last one takes sexy to the next level :)

Jrisles,

As per our PM's were you able to get any more info on the Basis or Brinkmann TT's?

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys & apologies for the delayed response as i have been getting acquainted with some of my other audio toys that have arrived recently - namely my Adam C9 centre speaker, Anthem Statement D2v processor and a pair of Adam Artist 5 speakers to act as my side speakers in my HT setup. All i am missing is the projector and screen and once this is acquired my HT is all but complete!!!

I am currently doing alot of online research to narrow down my choices based on some of the suggestions provided. Granted it is probably not the same as listening to alot of systems but given that i have purchased alot of my gear online and with return policies these days you can hardly go wrong. I may end up having a few systems in my home at the same time to assist with narrowing down the one for me. A bit of work ordering, swapping and listening to narrow down choices but for an investment like this i am more than happy to pay for the return of delivery of an item etc should i find it is not suitable. Some great suggestions and models of turntables i have not even heard of before. I shall keep you all posted on where i will eventually land. regards j

I think I wet my pants ............

Thanks Batty

hmm a second hand VPI HRX would be the goer :)

Yes i am reading alot of good things about this turntable. This looks & reads very interesting.

Curious JohnA - have you heard this turntable?

http://www.vpiindust...m/table_hrx.htm

Btw .. have any of you listened to some peoples turntable setups on YouTube? It is incredible some of the sounds you get from YouTube these days.

[media=]

[/media]

I definitely will be listening to the SOTA Cosmos and also the VPI HRX also on my shortlist thus far.

I like the idea that SOTA has an "upgrade path" and i have a SOTA turntable from which i can upgrade.

Others soon to follow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Edited by jrisles

Guest yamaha_man

John has a HRX.

Guest JohnA

Yes i am reading alot of good things about this turntable. This looks & reads very interesting.

Curious JohnA - have you heard this turntable?

http://www.vpiindust...m/table_hrx.htm

As mentioned in the post above, i own this TT, also purchased second hand. Have had no desire to upgrade to anything else.

As mentioned in the post above, i own this TT, also purchased second hand. Have had no desire to upgrade to anything else.

Thanks JohnA .. may i ask what else you listened too when you purchased this? What else was on your short list at the time & what made you pick this over the others that you listened too?

I can strongly recommend a Dr Feickert Woodpecker with a Kuzma 12inch tonearm (If you can get past the Woodpecker name). It is an incredible sounding TT and arm combination. I have moved from a SME 10 / 309 combo and can not beleive the difference! With my Shelter 501 ii cartridge the sound is detailed and extremely musical.

Be sure to listen to one on your journey or if you find yourself down South, PM me.

Guest JohnA

Thanks JohnA .. may i ask what else you listened too when you purchased this? What else was on your short list at the time & what made you pick this over the others that you listened too?

I actually took a punt on this one to be honest. it popped up locally second hand for the same price i was looking at spending on an entry level table, arm setup.

I think i twisted the sellers arm a little with my annoying PM's pestering him to sell it to me though :)

Since purchasing it however i have heard a fair few TT's but in my system the only other one i have auditioned was a TW acoustic raven one, thanks to Jasper.

However, it was a different cart to what i was using on mine, different arm of course, but same phono stage.

The biggest problem you will face is auditioning all the tables you want to with the same arm, cart, phono stage combo. Then doing it in your own system is going to be impossible.

I think at the end of the day, with your $10k budget going second hand will give you the best result / combo.

You have 2 great tables on sale here on SNA at the moment, the once analog and the acoustic signature mambo

the once analog always impresses when i hear it at Jan's place. at $3 add an arm and a cart and you have another system that is going to be very hard to beat.

I can strongly recommend a Dr Feickert Woodpecker with a Kuzma 12inch tonearm (If you can get past the Woodpecker name). It is an incredible sounding TT and arm combination. I have moved from a SME 10 / 309 combo and can not beleive the difference! With my Shelter 501 ii cartridge the sound is detailed and extremely musical.

Be sure to listen to one on your journey or if you find yourself down South, PM me.

Thanks Wilco. I was hoping to be in Melbourne for the HAA Audio course in August but my circumstances have now changed and hence am no longer going to to do the course which is unfortunate. Did you get a chance to listen to any of the Kuzma turntables as well when you decided on your Dr F?

I actually took a punt on this one to be honest. it popped up locally second hand for the same price i was looking at spending on an entry level table, arm setup.

I think i twisted the sellers arm a little with my annoying PM's pestering him to sell it to me though :)

Since purchasing it however i have heard a fair few TT's but in my system the only other one i have auditioned was a TW acoustic raven one, thanks to Jasper.

However, it was a different cart to what i was using on mine, different arm of course, but same phono stage.

The biggest problem you will face is auditioning all the tables you want to with the same arm, cart, phono stage combo. Then doing it in your own system is going to be impossible.

I think at the end of the day, with your $10k budget going second hand will give you the best result / combo.

You have 2 great tables on sale here on SNA at the moment, the once analog and the acoustic signature mambo

the once analog always impresses when i hear it at Jan's place. at $3 add an arm and a cart and you have another system that is going to be very hard to beat.

Thanks for the reply. Yes i think you are right re 2nd Hand. I always maintain that when you get into this sort of value people respect their equipment so it is highly unlikely you are going to be purchasing anything that has problems. I have purchase alot of 2nd hand items and i may have only had an issue with one item out all of my purchases. I would like to loan some extra money from the bank so that i can have a few turntables in my home at the same time. Decide on one and send the others back and repay my loan ...

Thanks Wilco. I was hoping to be in Melbourne for the HAA Audio course in August but my circumstances have now changed and hence am no longer going to to do the course which is unfortunate. Did you get a chance to listen to any of the Kuzma turntables as well when you decided on your Dr F?

I listened to the Kuzma reference TT and really enjoyed it. The Feickert/Kuzma 313/Shelter combo just has incredible synergy in my system and i didnt feel it necessary to outlay extra for the Kuzma TT. I took advantage of PMG Sale on the Feickert, it came with the better platter (it has brass silencers) and record clamp.

i have listened to nearly every TT up to the $10k mark and couldn't be happier with the Woodpecker.

I listened to the Kuzma reference TT and really enjoyed it. The Feickert/Kuzma 313/Shelter combo just has incredible synergy in my system and i didnt feel it necessary to outlay extra for the Kuzma TT. I took advantage of PMG Sale on the Feickert, it came with the better platter (it has brass silencers) and record clamp.

i have listened to nearly every TT up to the $10k mark and couldn't be happier with the Woodpecker.

Nice system you got there Wilco :thumb: .....but, where is the silver disc spinner :confused:

Guest JohnA

Nice system you got there Wilco :thumb: .....but, where is the silver disc spinner :confused:

who needs them :)

I don't have one. Don't know what the point of them is anymore.I ripped all my CD's uncompressed WAV into my Hard Drive (backed up). I sold all my CD's (1000) and CD player and used all the money to buy a TT and pre-amp.

NO REGRETS

Now i just listen to digital via my AppleTV ($100) through my TV out. Digital is only background music when i have people over.

I only listen To Vinyl now. What's more interesting is that my wife will only listen to Vinyl as well now.

What's more interesting is that my wife will only listen to Vinyl as well now.

My experiecne as well. :thumb:

who needs them :)

True....but I still have this 'nostalgic' attachment to my MF Nu-vista CD player. (part of that attraction being the built-quality) :)

..... and the only way to keep out my partner 'messing' with my TT is to give her the CD player. ;)

VINYL RULES!!!! :thumb:

I was going to "like this", but I only half like it. :P

dirty.

I don't have one. Don't know what the point of them is anymore.I ripped all my CD's uncompressed WAV into my Hard Drive (backed up). I sold all my CD's (1000) and CD player and used all the money to buy a TT and pre-amp.

NO REGRETS

Now i just listen to digital via my AppleTV ($100) through my TV out. Digital is only background music when i have people over.

I only listen To Vinyl now. What's more interesting is that my wife will only listen to Vinyl as well now.

Yes i am thinking of doing the same. Selling my Playback Designs MPS-5 .. and CD's and moving into vinyl only. But the problem i have at the moment is i have very little vinyl. But i suspect that will change in a very short period of time.