SOLD: FS: StereoKnight Silversone B&R dual mono fully balanced passive preamp

Item: StereoKnight Silverstone B&R passive preamp

Price: $1200 firm

Item Condition: almost excellent. Bought Jan 2011

Reason for selling: already upgraded to a valve active preamp

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Direct Transfer, PayPal + 3%

Extra Info: see below

Pictures: see my thread here

This is a great preamp, to my ears as good as a Music First Mk II and at a great price. It's extremely detailed, has good sound staging and 6dB of gain. Like all passives it doesn't quite have the dynamics of an active, but that is the trade off in return for the detail unless you want to pay x5 more in order to get both from an active preamp (I just have!) It's complete dual mono with independent volume adjustment (both channels controlled simultaneously from the remote). It's fully balanced and transformer coupled so contains 4 transformers. The transformer coupling allows it to be used with low impedance loads like active speakers without bandwidth constraints, or with long interconnects, unlike many passives. It has 3x RCA inputs and 3x Balanced XLR inputs, so a total of 6 sources can be accommodated, it's rare to get that many input options these days. You can use RCA inputs and XLR outputs so this is a very versatile preamp. It has 2x balanced XLR outputs so that you can run a powered sub with your 2 channel setup. There are 2x RCA outputs although these have never functioned from the day the amp arrived new. This may be simple problem to fix, I don't know, however I'll supply 2x XLR->RCA adaptors in case your cables are RCA only. I've only used the XLR outputs anyway so never bothered to get it fixed. The reviews claim that the XLR balanced outputs sound better than the RCA outputs. New price from Osbourne (the Aussie distributor) is $2700.

The amp comes with a full function remote control that adjusts volume, mute, input and output selection and adjusts channel balance. The

amp is quite heavy and very solidly constructed, it's made from solid aluminium plate and weighs more than my new valve preamp!

Some reviews:

6moons review the non-remote control version - identical sound.

Dagogo reviews the B&R

Prof

Any reason why all your posts are in grossly ugly hard to read shaded yellow ?

Btw, good luck with the sale

it seems to be bizarre random effect that happens with some posts and not others (like not now). It'll be a great preamp for someone, it took something very special to replace it.

Is this this silver version or the copper version wiring. Please can you post pictures of the unit. looking at the 6moons review is it the second unit or the first.

Regards

Edited by audiohifiaudio

Is this this silver version or the copper version wiring. Please can you post pictures of the unit. looking at the 6moons review is it the second unit or the first.

Regards

Here are some pictures from the Prof's linked thread:

post-109298-0-42866500-1339980351_thumb.

post-109298-0-08856500-1339980359_thumb.

I thought that this unit had sold, however it's still available, get in quick :)

Just to clarify in response to some confusion, this unit operates on Australian 240V power, not 115V. Although the passive preamp itself is unpowered, the preamp requires power to operate the relays for volume and also input/output selection. I will supply 2 XLR->RCA adaptors so it can be used with a cable with either termination although I recommend XLR. This is the version with copper transformer wiring (although all the rat of the internal wiring is silver, very few B&R silver wired transformer preamps were actually made. I've heard both, the silver has slightly more resolution but there's very little in it and probably not worth the price premium at this price point.

From the StereoKnight website:

The StereoKnight Silverstone series is fully transformer-balanced input to output design. Internal hookup wiring is silver, the standard transformer windings are copper but silver versions are available. Both RCA and true XLR (balance) input and output are equipped or optional. RCA solution should be sufficient for most serious systems. The Silverstone-Balance is the expert to supply best but affordable full balance solution while Silverstone-B&R adds the great versatility (multiple XLR and RCA in/out and convenience (remote control function and LCD display).

post-105529-0-98359300-1340084843_thumb.

I've noticed stereo knight has close down sorry to see.

Here are some (improved) photos

a very solid attractive aluminium case with a satin finish and machined logo

post-105529-0-32408400-1340574992_thumb.

The transformer on the left of the picture is to supply 9V power to the display and motorised volume controls only. The other 4 transformers are in the sound circuit

post-105529-0-64775300-1340575290_thumb.

The volume is controlled by a series of relays

post-105529-0-23680200-1340575014_thumb.

Now Sold :):thumb: