Sign in to follow this  
Gregor

Playmaster pro series 3 amp

Hi all, i have a pro series 3 that is unbuit, i want to start building it soon and was after peoples opinions on this amp with respect to component up grades? what is going to make it sound better. regards Greg

Hi Greg,

I haven't heard that amp mentioned for ages :-)

That was one of the first ever amps I built!! And it's still going strong, although I don't actually use it any more..

I don't know of any upgrades as such,, but I always thought to make them as mono-block amps.. Considering they are pretty much mono amps, with their own transformer & bridge rectifier, it wouldn't be too much to do..

I've always reckoned mono amps seem to sound (image & soundstage) better than a conventional "stereo amp"..

Ta

CM

Guest Muon

I have heard two different builds of this same kit, one sounded lovely, the other one i couldn't listen to for very long at all.

Try matching fets as close as possible, get a bunch of the same ones to match them perfectly if possible.

keep signal wiring routed away from power wires and the transformer ect'

Hi

You do not have to match these Mosfet because the use of current Sharing resistor , only part to match is very simple ( measure hfe of the input diferential pair BC546 as far i remeber ) , and use a good feed back capacitor ( 220uF --> 330uF ) , I built the TO3 version ( the first one ) and still sound good until now ( now I use F5 ) , and use alot of good quality Fitration capacitor .

Regards

thanks guys for your input, i can meassure the hfe and match the transistors, i was also going to use bhc caps for power supply, any recomendations for coupling caps?

regards Greg

Hi, I also have one of these amps which I constructed as an apprentice 13 years ago! I'm trying to use it in my theatre but it seems to be producing some static for some reason. I wanted to know if anyone has the manual in electronic format that could be emailed, or know where I could download it from?

Hi i have the articles in pdf , msg me with your email and i will send them. Greg

I built many of these in the 1990s.

They are old mosfets but I think you will find that almost all amps nowadays sound better, especially the new class D amps.

The playmaster amps always sounded bright and edgey to me.

Guest Muon

The one we grabbed off ebay already built sounded just like that!

"bright and edgey"

The one my friend built sounded very much the opposite.

The one we grabbed off ebay already built sounded just like that!

"bright and edgey"

The one my friend built sounded very much the opposite.

This is the problem with most kit amplifiers. Components of differing quality and substitution of the wrong type of component (typically capacitors) can contribute to quite noticeable sound quality. With many magazine designs, the kits are often put together by many different suppliers and each sources thier components from diverse suppliers. In addition most kit packers aren't always knowledgeable when it comes to substituting component types. :(

Cheers,

Alan R.

(Posted from the Qantas Club Lounge - Melbourne outbound to Brisvegas)