AudioGD Digital Interface - problem with electrical interferences?

I have recently acquired an AudioGD DI with a separate power supply unit. The unit is working fine however the sound is cut off for a second or two when someone in the house turns on/off a light (but not all the time). This does not happen if the digital signal is going direct from the source (a SqueezeBox Touch) to the Dac.

I thought it may have involved with the PSU plugging to the main and got interference that way so last night I used an Aldi battery bank to power the DI. Still the interferences occurred.

Any ideas of why this happens and how to fix it would be appreciated.

Thanks

chu

PS: the Aldi battery is not as good as AudioGD PSU which is ok considering their price differences.

Edited by chu

Issues like this needs time and patience to resolve. Have you isolated it to which switch(s) that causes this?

I used to have issues with dimmer lights etc, but since installing a dedicated circuit and line for my stereo, these issues are now a thing of the past.

Issues like this needs time and patience to resolve. Have you isolated it to which switch(s) that causes this?

I used to have issues with dimmer lights etc, but since installing a dedicated circuit and line for my stereo, these issues are now a thing of the past.

No, I haven't been able to determine which switches cause this. The one in my listening room certainly does but as I said, not all the times. I do have a number of dimmer switches around the house so it's worth checking whether the problem only occurs when these switches are on.

Thanks

chu

Edited by chu

It could also be a dirty light switch. Something is putting hash into the circuit. While lights are supposed to be separated from power circuits, they often aren't.

Suggestions:

If it's only one switch--change it for a new one.

Run an extension cord from a different power circuit and see if that fixes it.

Greg

My DI used to do the same thing whenever I plugged in the wall-wart PSU for a little amplifier cooling fan that I had rigged up.

Hi Chu , might be worth an email to King Wa at Audio gd to ask if he has any ideas. a couple of times I' ve emailed and they are quick to respond especially since you and Pete Mac have a similar problem. If you are using USB cable into the DI do you have one lying around the house that has a ferrite bead on it ?

I think this DI is actually from Pete. However as the problem still occurs even with battery power replacing AudioGd PSU the cause could be something else. It maybe because the level of attenuators used too high, 6db between the SBT and DI then 12db between the DI and Dac. While the SQ is very good with this setup it may be at the brink between signal being accepted or refused by the Dac? I don't know but since using a 3db attenuator instead of the 6db unit the problem has yet to occur. Sound quality suffers a little bit though.

I do have some spare clip-on ferrite beads so I'll try them with the 6db attenuator back to the chain to see if this trick can rid of the problem.

Thanks

chu

I think yours is John Darko's unit. Mine was sold to a Sydney member who has not on-sold it.

Both of our DIs had the same mods done to them (clock, hex inverter etc) and the issue existed before the tweaks.

I should note that mine would drop out for around 0.3 of a second... Not 1-2 second as you're experiencing.

It's a peculiar scenario!

Edited by pete_mac

I think yours is John Darko's unit. Mine was sold to a Sydney member who has not on-sold it.

Both of our DIs had the same mods done to them (clock, hex inverter etc) and the issue existed before the tweaks.

I should note that mine would drop out for around 0.3 of a second... Not 1-2 second as you're experiencing.

It's a peculiar scenario!

Thanks Pete. I may have exaggerating a little bit. While the drop out is certainly not 2 seconds (around 1s) it feels much longer :) .

chu

I didn't realize there are two identical modded DIs !

There are indeed!

I gave John the clear perspex lid from mine but never got around to making up a second lid, so that's the only giveaway as to which is which.

The problem persists despite I removed all attenuators, used clip-on ferrite beads on whatever cables that accepted these, used an extension cord from another wall power plug. It seems that the light switches in the close vicinity are the cause. Will ask an electrician to check them.

Thanks

chu