Sign in to follow this  
palo

AR 77XB 50hz pulley required

Hi,

Have just aquired a lovely AR77XB TT.

The usual problem it is a 115V 60Hz 300RPM Haydon unit with a 60Hz pulley, therefore runs slow.

I am on the hunt for a 50Hz pulley to correct the dpeed problem, anyone out there have one for sale or know of an option!

I know Vinyl Nirvana has a motor upgrade of a low voltage motor, which I think would fix the speed/voltage/Hz problem, but it is more than the price that I purchased it at with some and somehow does not sit well against its original retail price!

Also how difficult is it to rewire a Grace 707 from the DIN to the cartridge?

Help appreciated.

Regards Palo

Email the guy at Vinyl Nirvana and ask him if he has a used 50Hz pulley that he can sell you. Given that he is in the US and offers a replacement pulley for that locale, I imagine that he has quite a few.

Thanks Telecine,

Have contacted Vinyl Nirvana via their email, as yet have not heard back from Dave.

All I can gather is AR produced a 115/230V 60/50Hz model for the Euro's which had a switch under the platter and a 50Hz pulley supplied.

However I am not sure if it was also an aftermarket product from AR.

Seem to think that there may be a different drive belt to suit this 60/50Hz 33.33/45RPM pulley sizes too.

Anyone heard of this scenario?

That might be correct but I would check with Vinyl Nirvana. They also sell replacement belts so they should know.

Eureka!

Dave has the copolymer pulley 50Hz pulley version in stock. It is also $95 plus shipping of $16.95USD

You little ripper now just got to work out the voltage step down.

Have also enquired about the belt to suit.

What a wonderful thing the internet is!!!!! especially up here in FNQ.

Well done, nearly there.

Tortech offer a range of suitable step downs.

Edited by Telecine

On 5/29/2012 at 10:22 PM, palo said:

Eureka!

Dave has the copolymer pulley 50Hz pulley version in stock. It is also $95 plus shipping of $16.95USD

You little ripper now just got to work out the voltage step down.

Have also enquired about the belt to suit.

What a wonderful thing the internet is!!!!! especially up here in FNQ.

Palo, All, Howdy,

I am going through a similar exercise with an "AR the TT" at the moment.

Does anyone know if you can just use a high Wattage wirewound resistor to step down the 240 

to 110V.     The Connoisseur BD1 turntables have been doing that for years.    I am hoping I 

can do that rather than use a step down transformer on the mains.

Thks! 

Paul.

Guest gmdb
4 hours ago, pauly99 said:

Palo, All, Howdy,

I am going through a similar exercise with an "AR the TT" at the moment.

Does anyone know if you can just use a high Wattage wirewound resistor to step down the 240 

to 110V.     The Connoisseur BD1 turntables have been doing that for years.    I am hoping I 

can do that rather than use a step down transformer on the mains.

Thks! 

Paul.

You'll probably get a better result if you build an off-board power supply for it, and remove all the internal electronics.  I did one for my AR XA and the results were excellent.  I followed the forums on the Naim Armageddon clone and it cost well under $200 including enclosure.  It involves a toroidal step-down transformer with precise capacitor matching for 110V motor to provide greater speed stability by reducing / eliminating clogging in the motor.  And the usual caveats apply - it's working with 240V mains so best to get an electrician mate to check it.  But the same would apply to any resistor step-down. 

My motivation for going down this path was to get the old components out from under the top plate so I could do more work on damping the underneath of the top plate and the sub-chassis to reduce resonance.  And given the age of the electronic components I would have replaced many of them anyway.  The original motor however was in great condition. 

The ARs are lovely sounding turntables.

You could try Duc ( @lovetube on this forum).

I'm sure he could machine a pulley for you and would also be able to help with rewiring the Grace arm.

14 hours ago, Reverend Johnny Heathen said:

Have you the measurements for the 50hz pulley? I have a few AR pulleys somewhere and I'd be happy to send one your way if it fit the bill... 

Thanks , :)

I don't have the measurements.

I bit the bullet and bough the expensive poly one like vinylnirvana.

Paul.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Eagleeyes
      Item : Audio Research PH6 MC phono stage-stunning sound and condition.

Price: NOW only $2995. New $6995 retail. 5 hours use since bought

Item Condition: 100% working and looks as new with tiniest mark on rear / back of top plate. 99out of 100, lovely product.

Reason for selling: too many phonos 

Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only CAN POST OR ORGANISE FREGHT ETC
      Extra Info:

I bought this beauty few months ago from an SNA member who bought it from Sydney authorised Audio Research dealer as a store demo unit, condition is as new except one small mark as shown in the photo, you can't really tell unless looking for it.

It works really well with Shelter 901 MC (0.5mv), Lyra Delos MC (0.6mv), Nagaoka MP500 MM (3mv), those are carts I have (had), I believe it would be the best match with MC from 0.5mv to MM (3mv), my finding seems to be inline with reviews on the web.  It hasn't get much use as I have other toys, it's from smoke and pet free home,  I have the original box so shipping is not a issue.

These were the last owners comments and I personally used for about 20 hours with a clearaudio concerto wood and it was divine bringing my VPI to life. A lovely piece of kit and I am putting up for sale 3 phonos and 2 will go just accumulating too much gear.

It's not short of good reviews on the web, happy to answer what I know.

Please send PM if interested.

https://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/audio_research_ph6.htm

e audiophiles often wonder why a certain company replaces a very good piece of equipment. Oftentimes it can be as simple as wanting to freshen up in the product line. Audio Research released the PH6, however, because it betters in every way the model it replaces. It is simply a cleaner window between you and your music and, I'll go out on a limb, the phono stage to beat in its price range. Its sterling sound quality together with its excellent build quality, Audio Research’s reputation and the knowledge that they’ll be around to care for the product well into the future means that purchasing a PH6 can be one of the best investments in your musical life you can make

https://www.tonepublications.com/review/audio-research-ph-6-phono-preamplifier/

A Worthy Successor
      The PH 6 is an excellent phono preamplifier, offering excellent sonic performance, build quality, and value. In comparison to other phono preamplifiers, both models costing considerably more and less, its price is spot on. The PH 6 also stood up well when compared to ARC’s top-of-the-line REF Phono 2; the lineage is immediately evident. The only potential limitation of the PH 6 may be related to the 58 db gain figure when combined with a handful of very low-output cartridges below .4mv. However, considering the range of excellent cartridges above that figure, finding something you like should not prove difficult.
      When going from regular, to large, to super size (PH 6, PH7, REF Phono 2), the listener will find the tonal qualities to be very similar, each increasing model offering more dynamic range, and more low level detail and increased resolution, along with increased functionality. Taking these points into consideration, it’s easy to see why ARC continues to enjoy such a loyal customer base. So whether you are a new customer or legacy customer waiting to trade up, you will enjoy the PH 6.
      - Jeff Dorgay

• By 5L15
      Item:  Allison Acoustics cd6 bookshelf speakers 
      Price: 350
      Item Condition: used, good condition 
      Reason for selling: downsizing 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:I’ve had these since 2008 and had them re-foamed 08/08 by Peter @ SpeakerWorks (R.I.P).
      It’s time to move on!  
      There is a bonus as the tweeters are hard to come bye so in this sale I managed to acquire a single Allison 6 speaker as a spare but all you need to do is re-foam the woofer and you can have a centre channel if you need?
      The original woofer grilles have been replaced, this is what Allison sent the original owner as a replacement (which are on the speakers), I have the original but damaged woofer grilles in a box to which is also included.
       These are not too common here!!
      There is some wear and tear on the cabinets the dust is free and the stands not included.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By SoundGuy
      Item: Audio Research Ref 3
      Price: $4300
      Item Condition: Used, Excellent 
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Bought this used from Audio Fidelity in September last year (less than 6 months ago).  I changed the handles to silver for the Ref 5 look (looks much better and sounds better too! ;-)
      Seriously this preamp sounds as good as they said, I'm selling because there's an opportunity to upgrade to Ref 5.

A couple of SNA members advised me not to sell this because they think that The Ref 3 sounds better than the Ref5 and even the Ref6. Unfortunately I have to sell this as I need the money. 
      Last listing of Ref 3 on SNA was sold for $5500 so you know this is a bargain.

I no longer have the box so local sale is preferred. 

Pictures:

• By Kretinburger
      As I am moving to a much smaller house I have dispose of a few of my speakers.(Unless I can talk my wife into letting me put a pair in each bedroom!)
      So the first cab off the rank will be my AR-9`s.Original version not the LS.All drivers will be re-rolled and cabinets are in excellent condition.
      My question is,what do you think would be a fair price to ask for them?I dont want to rip anyone off but also I want to get a fair price.So I can buy some more speakers!