Cafad

Integrated Amps: An Addicts Guide.

OK, I've got my hands on the Plessis S1 and it is an excellent piece of kit! The short description of it would be it is a Myryad with twice the grunt, a longer description requires more typing.

I tried the Plessis S1 with the QED speaker cables first and it was great in the mids and bass but in the highs it was twangy and very metallic, even moreso than my memories of the Rotel so I was not very fussed on its performance. Yesterday my LBP (little blue penguin) speaker cables arrived so without really thinking about the amp in use I hooked them up and gave them a listen. The harsh, metallic highs disappeared and the bass smoothed out (even though it was already quite nice) and suddenly the Plessis was a definite top 5 candidate. It's 80W on tap gives it the rumble that the Myryad doesn't quite have but the Myryad beats the Plessis on the liquiditiy of the lower mids. I put the Myryad back on trial with the new speaker cables and it was not fazed at all, I could not spot any significant difference in the sonic signature of this amp, even though the Plessis changed greatly with a change in speaker cable.

The big negative of the Plessis is that it seems to have a noisy volume pot (a negative for me but hardly likely to be a problem with every S1 on the market), the buzzing noise is bloody annoying between songs. It increases with the volume control and is present on all 4 inputs (with only one hooked up), so I am thinking volume pot, or maybe power supply. I'll have to see about fixing that because the performance of this little amp is too good to write off due to an issue like this. An awesome little amp which should be on more peoples demo lists, just be sure to team it with nice thick copper speaker wire.

An interesting point to note is that the Plessis S1 also uses the Toshiba 1943 transistors, as used in the Myryad Z142, Consonance C1, Burson PI-160 and at least one other amp I can't remember the identity of. Two per channel just like the Myryad, Rubicon capacitors throughout, just like the Myryad (though the S1 uses Rubicon main caps while the Myryad uses Nichicon main caps, both are rated the same though). So I suppose some simularity in sound could be expected. I'm going to play with my new speaker cables for a few days and then I might put that Musical Fidelity 220 through its paces.

Great write-up Cafad and thanks for detailed reviews of the integreated amps. Can't believe I missed this post for so long, but glad I found it. :)

Glad you like it vinilink.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the Accuphase, a few bills have cropped up and I was tempted by a pair of Perreaux SM60 monoblocks (they are still solid state so I only strayed from the path a little, I haven't caved in completely) that I bought on the strength of the performance of the little Perreaux SX25i. I'll have to make do with what I have already for a few months while my wallet puts on some badly needed weight.

I have a Rega Brio R, MF 220A and a little old HK integrated already bought and paid for (and that Linx Nebula that I keep forgetting about), I hope that is enought to last me through this dark, lonely time.

Now I know how junkies feel! Does anyone know if there is an audio equivalent of methodone?

I know how you feel Cafad, I have a similar addiction to standmount speakers. Over the last 8-10 months I have owned:

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • Monitor Audio Silver RX2
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Got some Dynaudio Focus 110's on the way, maybe some ATC SCM11's and possibly even the EB Accoustics EB1 if I can stretch to them as well... :lol:

I know how you feel Cafad, I have a similar addiction to standmount speakers. Over the last 8-10 months I have owned:

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Got some Dynaudio Focus 110's on the way, maybe some ATC SCM11's and possibly even the EB Accoustics EB1 if I can stretch to them as well... :lol:

Mate, I think you should start another addicts review thread. I know I'd be keen to read about which pair does what better than the others.

Thanks RR, and don't worry, I'll keep the thread going it will just be forced to slow down for a while.

Now I know how junkies feel! Does anyone know if there is an audio equivalent of methodone?

CDs, they contain the substance but just dont have the hit one gets from vinyl

• Usher S520
  • Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
  • Dynaudio Excite X12
  • Dynaudio DM 2/7
  • ProAc Studio 110
  • ATC SCM7
  • Rega RS1

Please start a new thread and tell us what you think.

Sp good to hear opinions from forum members

Glad you like it vinilink.

I think I'm going to have to pass on the Accuphase, a few bills have cropped up and I was tempted by a pair of Perreaux SM60 monoblocks (they are still solid state so I only strayed from the path a little, I haven't caved in completely) that I bought on the strength of the performance of the little Perreaux SX25i. I'll have to make do with what I have already for a few months while my wallet puts on some badly needed weight.

I have a Rega Brio R, MF 220A and a little old HK integrated already bought and paid for (and that Linx Nebula that I keep forgetting about), I hope that is enought to last me through this dark, lonely time.

Waiting for the Rega review!

Please start a new thread and tell us what you think.

Sp good to hear opinions from forum members

Allright, when I find the time I'll start a new thread with a write-up on each speaker, inlcuding pics. :thumb:

Edited by twwen2

Waiting for the Rega review!

I think a few people are. But I am afraid they will all have to wait at least a few more days as it has yet to arrive at my door. Once it does I'll put it through its paces pretty quick, since I also happen to be one of those people waiting.

Allright, when I find the time I'll start a new thread with a write-up on each speaker, inlcuding pics. :thumb:

Excellent!!!! SNA needs more reviews.

The more reviews we have access to the more informed us SNA'ers can be, the more informed we are the more dangerous we become so let's all help make SNA a more dangerous place to be. Metaphorically at least!

The only issue with reviews is that they're very subjective. Especially as the other components in the system keep changing around the speakers. For example, I only heard my earlier speakers with the Brio-R and Rega DAC. It was only recently that I acquired an amp with a more substantial amount of power to properly drive some of the more innefficient speakers - I wonder for instance what the Usher S520's would have sounded like with 120W up their bum...

The only issue with reviews is that they're very subjective. Especially as the other components in the system keep changing around the speakers. For example, I only heard my earlier speakers with the Brio-R and Rega DAC. It was only recently that I acquired an amp with a more substantial amount of power to properly drive some of the more innefficient speakers - I wonder for instance what the Usher S520's would have sounded like with 120W up their bum...

You have a good point there, but every review is going to be subjective and I would think that SNA forum members are more likely to try out gear with more appropriate auxilary equipment than the reviewers in HiFi magazines. Notice the professionals always compare the amp/player/speaker with another that is 2 to 4 times the price? And connect it up to gear of much higher quality than it is likely to ever be paired with in the real world. We can do a much more meaningful comparo with another piece of gear that is actually a viable alternative (ie: in the same price range) and that is what most of us are interested in, no one really expects a $1k amp/player/speaker to sound better than a $3k model. We can perform real comparos and because we are not being paid to do it we can write up our opinions in an honest fashion.

Edited by Cafad

2 great threads, thanks guys and keep up the good work.

I wouldn't know which words to use to describe the sound I hear, you seem to me a great wordsmith Cafad.

I'm not sure I'd go that far Batty, I'm an above-average wordsmith with a fair amount of spare time and very thick thesaurus. I also have occassional bouts of insomnia, so that helps quite a bit with the writing.

I'm working on the Brio R at the moment and I need both thesaurus and dictionary on this one (I save the insomnia for emergencies!).

Looking forward to the Brio-R write up :).

Me too. It's my favorite amp and the one that I will not sell for many years to come. I just wish Rega would hurry up and release a "Mira-R" with a few more watts than the little Brio-R.

I am afraid there will be a slight delay in the Brio R write up. I've spent about 8 hours or so this weekend listening and slowly developing an opinion of the Brio R and I just couldn't work out what was going on in the upper bass and lower mids, it just seemed to be varying a little and I couldn't get a grip on it.

So I fired off a PM to Stu and asked him how many hours were on it, he said 10 to 12, plus my 8 or so makes about 20. That would explain it, it is hard for me to figure out how it sounds when it is not yet sure itself, I've got it running in now so watch this space Wednesday/Thursday because it was sounding pretty damn good even between hours 10 and 20.

Cheers!

Me too. It's my favorite amp and the one that I will not sell for many years to come. I just wish Rega would hurry up and release a "Mira-R" with a few more watts than the little Brio-R.

I am beginning to understand what you mean. This is one very special amp, most amps couldn't sound that smooth if they were triple polished and then dipped in teflon. And if the upper mids were any more fluid I would have to open the door and allow the room to drain after each song. Oh it's good, my word it's good.

I'm going to start this review with a question, Has anyone out there ever heard an amp that sounds quite like the Brio R?

I have to say I have not, and I have been through a fair number in the last 18 months. This little amp sounds warm, firm, controlled, unrushed and most of all smooth, there isn't a sharp edge to be found anywhere in its presentation. And, while it sounds warm it feels even slightly warmer than it sounds, it seems to do this with the most amazing transient vibrations that lie on the edges and between sounds that allow different instruments to blend seemlessly together and all the while these transients are tickling the insides of your auditory cannal and increasing your anticipation of the sounds to follow.

The Brio R gives the most enticing portrayal of Norah Jones that I have ever heard, now I am not really a Norah fan, her music is nice but I am only really using her for her voice and her production values so when evaluating a new amp I tend to listen through the first 2, 3 or 4 songs on her Come Away With Me album. The Brio R sounded so entrancing that I had reached song 7 before I realized that I had got past song 4.

Vocals and single instruments are this amps true strengths, it does rock and multiple instruments very well but it really shines in the details of a slightly sparse musical score.

The highs are, in a word, beautiful. They are soft, sweet and airy and hang forever without being harsh in any way.

The mids are pushed a little forward in the soundstage I think, so that the vocals and most main instruments sound like they are literally in front of the backing instruments.

The bass is smooth, deepish and warm, it doesn't sound tight but does not feel loose in any way either. The upper and mid bass are so smooth, rich and creamy that I could swear that one of the designers was a prestige Belgian Chocolatier. And like good chocolate, the bass makes you want more, and so you listen longer. This is one piece of audio gear that can make entire nights just disappear in a blissful trance of ecstatic sonic presentation.

Now having said all that I have to go back to the first line, the Brio R does not really sound like any other amp and so, while it is mightily impressive, it is very hard to place in my preferences list. I am going to have to have a head to head between it and the Myryad but until that happens I'll give the Myryad the (temporary!) benefit of the doubt and slot the Brio R in at second place, just ahead of the Plessis S1.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Suopermanni
      Item: Used Schiit Ragnarok
      Price: $1500 including postage around Australia
      Item Condition: Recently Repaired As it was not functioning. Fair on the outside.
      Reason for selling: Excess to Needs, No Longer Required, Can't Keep.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

This Integrated Amp is roughly 3 years old and came to me non-functional from gumtree. I have got it repaired thanks to the work of AddictedtoAudio and Schiit USA. It is being shipped from Addicted to Audio to my address. It will most likely arrive on Monday or Tuesday when I pick it up from the Audio Tailor where I'm having it dropped off. A new one costs $2950 from A2A. I am pricing it at $1500 as it will cover express postage all over Australia and it cost me $300 to repair. Should be noted that I make no money off this sale. The main reason I'm selling it now is that my parents, whom I live with, are currently going on a trip to China to see relatives and I will need some funds to survive the month or so they are away.

• By Razuu
      Item: Luxman 550AX Class A Integrated Amp
      Price: $4850
      Item Condition: Near "NEW" pristine condition - still under Australian Warranty
      Reason for selling: Moved into apartment, no space.
      Payment Method: Open
      Extra Info:
      Greetings. Selling my Luxman 550AX Class A Integrated Amp that was only purchased in 2016. Still under Full Australian Warranty. Near "new" pristine condition. 
      If you are reading this, you will no doubt know all about Luxman gear, especially their Class A amps. Only reason I am selling is I have moved from a large house to an apartment and need the "Hi Fi Rack Space" for a work desk.
      Open for offers and discussion.
      Remote, all accessories, box and original manuals are included.

Cheers
      Razuu

Pictures:

• By Sirmorebeer
      Need a bit of advise, my current setup consist of an integrated amp with in-build DAC. It accepts the following connections:

- AES/EBU input
      - S/P Diff coaxial input X2
      - Toslink input
      - USB input

I am not interested in hooking up a laptop/nuc/mac mini with the integrated DAC. What are my options?  I do have a Cambridge Stream Magic V2, Normally I just use the App on Android to:

1.) Stream Spotify 
      2.) Browse my Plex DLNA library and stream flac files 

I can do the above via Bubble UPNP or the native Cambridge app. The streamer is connected to my amp via balanced out. It also have coaxial/toslink out as well. 

So, is it possible to connect the streamer to the in-build DAC via Toslink or coaxial and let the streamer handle the fetching and control? Not sure the Cambridge DAC will process any incoming stream. Ideally it should pass thru the stream and let onboard DAC in the amp  to do all the D/A conversation. So, all I left to do is a nice clean interface on the phone or tablet app. Not a big fan to constant tweaking/updating/maintenance of a PC.

The other option I am thinking is to acquire a  Raspberry Pi and install Volumio or other similar distribution with have DLNA and Spotify functionalities. Volumio  app is also available for on Android platform I think. No daughter board DAC with the Pi just plan old "mini PC" with USB to external DAC. Doable?

• By Cafad
      Item:  Stello AI500 Integrated amp with built in DAC
      Price:  $1800        CURRENTLY ON HOLD FOR AN INTERESTED BUYER!
      Item Condition:  Very good.
      Reason for selling:  Amps come in and amps go out, it is time for this one to go out.
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only  (Buyer to pay fees if paying via paypal).
      Extra Info:   available here: http://www.aprilmusic.com/page_YzTH92
      I've reviewed this amp in my "addicts guide" thread (or one of them anyway, I suspect the second) but since the search function isn't up and running for the site yet I haven't been able to find that review.  I'll keep looking but in the meantime the Stello AI500 is a Mosfet amp rated at 150 wpc into 8 Ohms and 300 wpc into 4 Ohms and there is more info available in the links below.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/aprilmusic4/500.html
      http://www.soundstage.com/equipment/stello_ai500.htm
      https://www.whathifi.com/stello/a1500/review
      http://www.stereotimes.com/amp071411.shtml

Comes with box, manual and remote control.
      Pictures:

• By Cafad
      Integrated Amp Comparison.
      Last year, I went a bit nuts, I was interested in finding out if the amps that were freely available over the net, and from ebay, for a fairly reasonable price were actually a worthwhile buy. Could these little bargain basement pieces of gear play in the big leagues? Or at least in the same league as the mainstream brands? The results were pretty surprising, price is in no way directly proportional to quality in the audio field. The contestants are a pretty mixed bunch, I just bought whatever I could get my hands on provided it was available at a steep discount to RRP. I am going to start with the amps I liked the least and work up to my favorites.
      Tonewinner AD-3.
      A massive amp that is so heavy you would swear it was made from recycled battleships. No extras on it, with one exception, it just has inputs for 3 sources plus balanced in. One massive 700VA toroidal transformer and a not-very-well-put-together remote to control volume and input selection. One thing this amp does have going for it is the ability to switch from class A (40W) to class AB (150W), however it always starts in A, you have to change it to AB. In class A it puts out a lot of heat (not much of a surprise) in AB it is not too bad for heat. Available via china for $1200-1300 AUD plus postage. Tonewinner are the OEM for Emotiva, though I am not sure that means anything when talking about their own models.
      Sound.
      Very deep, though not very clean, bass and lots of it. A great home theatre amp in either A or AB but not that good with music. It has a very deep and dark sound stage that only just allows the high and mid frequencies to escape from it. I had high hopes for this amp but it did not meet any of them. All of the other amps I listened to sounded so much better than this amp I am forced to conclude that this is a substandard piece.
      Consonance C1.
      My standard listening amp for about 5 years, a nice simple integrated that garnered several good reviews when it came out, 3 models old now but about $1500 AUD when new. A 120W rated amp though many people feel it is actually closer to 150W.
      Sound.
      The C1 is head and shoulders above the Tonewinner, it still has a deep and dark sound stage but it actually lets the high and mid frequencies out to play. Very nice bass performance but lacking in the mids and highs when compared to most of the other amps on offer. Does not let the edge of electric guitar come through well enough imo but in most aspects it is a well made amp that will play rock and metal fairly well but is not going to be anyones choice for classical listening. I was surprised when it ranked so low on my list, I had really enjoyed listening to it for all these years. It is now up for sale.
      Hlly T-90
      A tripath amp available over the net from china for about $300 (plus postage). Rated at 90W into 4ohms (or 40W into 8 ohms, I would call this a 40W amp, but then I am not in marketing) it would seem to be a high output version of the amps that so many people have been raving about for the last decade or so. It only has one input and no remote but so what, at the price and with the reputation I am expecting a very nice audition.
      Sound.
      Nice highs, good mids and no bass whatsoever. I was very disappointed with this amp, it may be good for classical listening and female vocals but it will never work with rock, pop or metal. I found I just could not listen to a performance which completely left out the bass segment of any music (and I have never thought of myself as that much of a bass fan). Also up for sale.
      Krell KAV 300IL
      With the name and rep associated with Krell I expect this amp to kick the butt of everything I compared it to. With 200W on tap it is the most powerful of the entire group, and at circa $5000 new it jolly well should be too. Purchased over ebay for $2300 AUD.
      Sound.
      Almost bland, very cool and clear but it seems to underemphasize everything to the point where the music loses any character. The music just does not grab the listener at all. Bass is rather thin, heaps of power but it doesn’t seem to actually use it. Smoothes off the edge of electric guitars, no real enjoyment to be had from this amp. The sound does improve as the volume in increased but you just can’t run it that loud for everyday use. I have heard that some owners have changed the sound of this amp by replacing the fuses in the speaker lines, I have some on order to try. Currently up for sale, may change depending on the results of a fuse swap.
      Onkyo A9555
      This is the point where I really start enjoying myself. One thing I have to mention here is that the build quality on the Onkyo is pretty shocking, the bass and treble control knobs point to 11:30 rather than 12:00 when in neutral and the chassis just feels thin and weak compared to every other amp listed. Also the selection and volume knobs have a “loose” feel to their movement, none of this affects the sound but it really did stand out to me as proof that ‘made in Japan’ does not seem to mean all that it once did.
      Sound.
      The Onkyo puts on a very nice performance, it is engaging and pleasant to listen to. It has bass and mids that, while they are not quite as good as the Perreaux or the
      Burson, are not exactly lacking. The highs are a little airy, maybe a bit too airy for some but not for me. The bass is a little underemphasized when compared to the highs and mids and the amp has a slightly warm and airy sound throughout (which I believe is the signature Onkyo sound). There is nothing in the Onkyo’s performance that offends, it just doesn’t sound quite as good as some others. Retails for about $1000 AUD, could be had for $700-800 over ebay.
      Marantz KI Pearl Lite
      I was expecting big things from the Marantz, and it only disappointed slightly. A very nice unit with as much connectivity as you would ever need (as do the Onkyo and the Krell). One thing that confuses me though is that the speaker binding posts do not seem to accept banana plugs, very annoying! I tried pulling out the centers of the speaker posts (as I had to on the Onkyo) but they simply would not move and I was not game to get too brutal with something that I had yet to turn on.
      Sound.
      A lighter touch than the Onkyo with just as engaging a soundstage. I listened to the Lite for a long time, over a week and as I listened I started to notice a warmth to the sound in the mids and highs. Far less obvious than the Onkyo and yet somehow far less pleasant. Once I had noticed this warm sound I could not ignore it and it started to drive me crazy. I have rated the Marantz better than the Onkyo due to its slightly better performance in the highs and mids but if I had to go back to one of them it would be the Onkyo. The bass was slightly better than the Onkyo. A RRP of $2400 AUD this amp can be had over ebay for $1300.
      Dussun V6i
      An amp that just oozes power. It may have 150W on tap but it sounds like 250W and that power is obvious right from about 0.2 on the volume dial. What’s that Spinal Tap, your amp goes to 11, well this one goes to 12! I’m not kidding either, the volume dial is marked from 0 to 12, I never took it above 3.5. Some may argue that this amp should not rate this well, to them I say, you need to experience the performance for yourself.
      Sound.
      I seem to have lost my notes on this amp, and I no longer have it on hand so I will just say that the performance is so grand that you do not have a soundstage in front of you, you have a soundstage that reaches out and envelopes you. It displays a fairly light touch when necessary but in general it just blasts the music out to you and makes you love every second of it. A great amp to test, tons of fun, but I’m not sure I could live with it full time. I would definitely give it a try though. Prices vary wildly but it can generally be had for under $1000 AUD over the net or ebay.
      Hlly M1 Gainclone
      This tiny little amp is a standout star, no remote and only one input but by far the cheapest amp I have ever owned at just $165 AUD. It is advertised as having 40W (into 4 ohms) but into 8 ohms it is 25W. And it sounds just brilliant, but I am getting ahead of myself.
      Sound.
      Just brilliant. Beautiful highs and mids and just a tiny bit lacking on the bass. The 25W on tap ran my floorstanders up to the point where the roof shook. This is the quality of sound I had hoped for from the tripath amp. However my floorstanders are 93db and a min of 5.8ohms, I have tried this amp on a pair of bookshelfs that were 88db and nominal 4ohms and it struggled hard. If you have high efficiency speakers then a cheap gainclone amp is simply something you must try.
      Perreaux SX25i
      A great little miniature integrated amp, beats out the Hlly on both looks and build quality but is also way ahead on price. $1200 RRP, it can be found on ebay (very rarely) for $600 to $800.
      Sound.
      Even better than the Hlly, but not by much. It took 2 days of on-again off-again comparison for me to reach a decision that the Perreaux was definitely better so there isn’t a lot in it but yes, it is better. I have heard that the NuForce Icons are meant to be better again, difficult to believe when the Perreaux is this good. I no longer have the Perreaux, I gave it to an old friend of mine as a birthday present.
      Burson PI-160
      The best integrated amp I have ever heard. By the time I had got hold of all these other amps I realized I had China and Japan heavily represented and the USA and New Zealand with one entry each but no Australian amp, I was also a bit short on cash. The 160 series is fairly new and so there are no second hand examples to be had but when I emailed the Burson fellows and asked if there were any demo amps available they kindly offered me one that had just returned from the Singapore Audio Show at a very reasonable discount. Thank you gents, your gear absolutely rocks! The Burson is a minimalist amp with only 3 inputs and a volume control so it will not suit everyones needs but it sounds just superb. 70W per channel and $2300 AUD.
      Sound.
      Clean extended highs with just the right amount of air, crisp mids and vocals and just the right amount of bass which is controlled with a velvet glove covering an iron fist. The bass control and the airy highs are the only distinct advantages it has over the Perreaux, that and the extra watts of course. I still have the Burson and it is not for sale.
      So there you have it, the story of how I spent far too much money in search of an audio unicorn. There are also a Thule Spirit A100 and a Linx Nebula amp that I have not yet evaluated, but I will get to them in time. I would also dearly like to add Perreaux's Audiant to the mix, but I am not going to buy one (I did finally recover from my spending spree) and I don't know of anyone who would be willing to lend me one, maybe one day.
      Cheers,
      Cafad.